Jasmine Lurcher DofB ?2021 Strood Medway

Dogs that have found their forever home
xxlynne

Jasmine Lurcher DofB ?2021 Strood Medway

Post by xxlynne »

Current Status: Homed
jasmine1DSCF1649b.jpg
Jasmine's Story: Jasmine was found abandoned and unclaimed within a council pound. Rescue Remedies offered a Rescue place saving her life. Jasmine is now neutered, chipped, and fully vaccinated. Jasmine came in to our Rescue Centre nr Gatwick whilst awaiting her new family.

If you are interested in rehoming one of our dogs, the first step is to complete and submit our ONLINE HOMING QUESTIONNAIRE. We do not discuss dogs without a homing questionnaire submission. You must be ready and we will only contact you if we have a suitable dog. For more detailed information, please see our Homing Process.

Please support our work and help our long stay dogs: Our minimum Adoption Donation is £250 (£400 for pup under 1 yr old). This supports our continuing rescue work and is non-refundable. We exist solely due to the goodwill and donations of our supporters and volunteers. Our dogs need supportive families who will offer them patience, time and tolerance whilst they settle in their new homes. Our Rescue offers all our dogs back-up for life.

Please note: Dog laws have changed, with zero public tolerance and prejudice against bull breeds and terriers in particular. Our Rescue asks new owners to keep their dog on a lead in public spaces and manage and support its encounters with new dogs and people, so as not to place the dog's life at risk. Destruction and Control Orders are commonplace nowadays.
jasmine2aDSCF1676a.jpg
jasmine3aDSCF1656a.jpg
jasmine4bDSCF1649a.jpg
jasmine5DSCF1658a.jpg
jasmine6DSCF1663.jpg
Jasmine's progress through our Rescue is below.
We work with our dogs, who often reveal an evolving picture and positive skills as they build trust.

Original referral information:10.30 pm 4th Nov 23: Trying to find space before tomorrow morning when vet comes to put her to sleep Margaret xx
Jasmine.jpg
Jasmine came into RescueRemedies on the 7th Dec 23
xxlynne

Re: Jasmine Lurcher DofB ?2021 RRemedies Centre

Post by xxlynne »

Jasmine arrived today. She is a very sweet gentle girl. She accepted Jamie's interest and play overtures and they are settling to share a large room providing a haven for her until we find her family
lizanna

Post by lizanna »

Jasmine behaved beautifully on our walk yesterday. We didn't go far because we were caught in a downpour, and, understandably, she didn't like the rain much - definitely a whippet/lurcher trait! She walked very daintily around the worst of the mud. When we got back she was very affectionate, and sat patiently for a treat. She is a lovely, lovely dog, and I hope I can walk her again soon.
Jasmine thumbnail_IMG_6609.jpg
griff

Post by griff »

Jasmine is a poppet and just such a sweet natured lady. She loves a cuddle and walks lovely, albeit a bit nervous of going over the motorway bridge. I do hope she finds a loving home very soon love4.gif
Jenny123

Re: Jasmine Lurcher DofB ?2021 Colchester Xmas Foster

Post by Jenny123 »

I picked Jasmine up to foster over Christmas yesterday (22nd Dec). She was very well behaved for the 2 hr drive. Until the last ten minutes, when we hit stop start traffic and her stomach had enough. But she ‘kindly’ cleaned up the mess with a blanket I had put in with her before we got home.

We had a walk to stretch and tire her out before entering the home. She had a very quick self led tour of the house. Stopping to admire herself in a full length mirror and trying the dog beds out. She much prefers the sofa, which she has predominately been lying on for majority of the last 24 hrs. Including rearranging the cushions and blankets to make it more comfortable for her, and even stealing one of my hoodies for a pillow. She is quite happy with me joining her, as long as she gets a hand / whole arm to cuddle with.

Jasmine is extremely affectionate and very chilled. Not spooked by loud noises in the house. Not entirely deaf as ears pricked when a noisy van drove past and the neighbours dropped something loud in their house (thin walled terrace).

She has a little way to go when it comes to training, and our training session earlier resulted in lying on her back and refusing to move. So we turned it into a cuddle session instead. She has been very sleepy, but with a new place I’ve been letting her relax as much as she needs. She wants to be in the same room, but only if that room has a sofa, otherwise the sofa wins.

On walks she is very keen to say hi to people. She is very gentle and keen towards small children in the park. Small dogs, like a long haired Chihuahua, little timid of, and resulted in her hiding behind my legs, but more interested in the larger dogs, who were ignoring her and keeping their distance.

We did have a first day bath, she was not keen, but did let me complete the process without me getting too wet in the process. Very tolerant and adaptable. She very quickly forgave me as after drying her off we had a cuddle on the sofa.

IMG_20231223_144433.jpg

IMG_20231223_095121.jpg

IMG_20231222_174055.jpg
Jenny123

Post by Jenny123 »

Jasmine is generally good around the house, not destructive. But will find cardboard and envelopes to hide in her favourite spots. We’ve been working on housetraining, started to learn when she points at a door you’ve got less than a minute to react before she gives up and finds somewhere. Getting more structure into her day helps, and she is learning to hold it in until I let her outside. Clearly used to getting treats when sitting, not convinced she understands the word, just if you are holding food she will sit.
Regularly seek reassurance, not confident and does want her paw held. But starting to come out of her shell, and can now nap during the day in a room by herself. Has slept perfectly through the night by herself throughout foster.
Not a fan of car journeys and has repeatedly thrown up when you are nearly at your destination. While I’m off work going to take her to different places to help her see car journeys as a way to get to something interesting.
Have not managed to get her to play with any toys yet, but does use a soft toy as a pillow when sleeping, and loves blankets and cushions. Resulting in a hilarious upside down flick of a cushion with her legs that flew further than she was expecting and then scared her when it landed off the chair she was lying on, she immediately flipped and came running over for a hug. She curls up with blankets and also likes to kick them when stretching (upside down).
Took her to my parent’s farm for Christmas. She loved having a run around with my brother (I’m not a sprinter and walk too slowly for her). She does have some prey drive for specific creatures, slow on the uptake so can be easily distracted. Likes to follow deer paths, but will walk with you after a tug on the lead and a call. She was fine going for a walk while the neighbours were shooting, not worried by gunshots. On a separate occasion heard a dog playing with some kids in the distance and got excited. Happy with fast paced, long walks, and then will sleep for the rest of the day.
She made herself right at home stealing my dad’s armchair, and giving him large puppy dog eyes if he tried to sit in it. A little interested in food when you are preparing your own meal, will try to inspect counters, gets the hint if you ignore her and gives up. Only grabbed a dishcloth that was on the side of the counter, and immediately dropped it when I said no. After dinner tried feeding raw carrot (not interested) & cooked Brussel sprouts (yummy). Each to their own!
Jenny123

Post by Jenny123 »

Jasmine is coming out of her shell. She can be an energetic dog, with a on off switch. Either she is sleeping for hours, in her favourite spots, or full of beans. Had a few excited zoomies, and can be playful, but not toy orientated so redirecting energy to attention. Suspect would like with another dog to play with. She likes a long fast paced walk, would be very happy trotting along with a jogger.
Training is going well, she is an intelligent dog and picks things up quickly. She is very affection and food orientated. Housetraining has been great and no accidents for a week, I think the first couple of days were just settling in. She likes access to the garden, but will go on walks to.
When on walks she likes to say hello to everyone, and is very people orientated. Very easy to make friends with others. Will make a great dog for a family, likes to have a lot of people around.
Went on walk with friends rescue Greyhound very chilled introduction and happy to walk side by side for a long walk. Even borrowed his coat when it started raining.

IMG-20231231-WA0003.jpg
Jenny123

Post by Jenny123 »

Half way through Jasmine’s foster break, time for an update on her progress!

She is getting more confident, still a little timid with other dogs, but held her head up passing a few dogs over the past few days. She is very quiet on walks, happy to walk to heel with two short leads on, but explores as expected with a longer lead. She is reluctant to get out the house to go on walks, but once on one is happy no matter the length of the walk, from short (15 mins) to long (1.5hrs). With the longer ones it is clear she is happy to continue on, and will pull to encourage you to not finish the walk but does take the hint and doesn’t object if you have had enough. Probably could keep going after 1.5hrs (its me that is worn out!). Tolerant of harness and coat, and switching leads during the walk with no objections. Went for walk with my mum the other day, who uses walking sticks, and she kept pace and didn’t tug to go faster. Has learnt that she should not go through hedges trying to chase things, but still gets very excited if she sees a deer, other creatures get her curiosity but not as keen to chase. Can be distracted, but best to keep on lead at all times. As its the beginning of January we’ve passed a lot more joggers and cyclists than normal. She has been fine, did a head bow and tilt away from a cyclist that surprised us both from behind, but other than that not reactive. Gets a lot of comments from passerby, she is a beautiful dog that just wants to make friends but is a little nervous.

In the home she is settling in well, she is not destructive, but will move objects including clothing and recycling when bored. Very good at telling you where she has hidden your slippers. She has favourite spots such as armchairs and sofas. Expect to be sat on or pawed if you sit there. Suspect I’m too much of a softie, and a bit of discipline on who owns the good spots she will accept they aren’t just hers. She has been told not to jump on beds, and does avoid them.

She can get playful occasionally, but no interest in toys. She is all paws when playing, and can bat people if not careful. Suspect she’d be better with another dog to release energy. Found her special scratch spot, which creates an instant happy energetic dog, just above her tail.

Can be easy to train, but also stubborn. Food and attention are good motivators, but when she is sleepy (most of the morning), she is not keen on moving (not a morning dog). We’ve been working on her name, sit, stay and come here (sometimes backed up with a whistle). Which is is capable of doing all of them, but not all of the time listens. Also working on not jumping on people, not begging for food, road safety & lead training, she is getting there, although does have a habit of wrapping herself around objects with the leads. Don’t recommend following her around the object as she will follow you and then you are back to square one. She is learning that food prep and human meal time is boring, she will still investigate to see what you are doing, but gives up and decides its nap time quite quickly. House training is going really well, had one mishap with the heavy rain when she didn’t want to go outside. Most of the training I have not used treats, she is very affection motivated and will seek reassurance by leaning on you if she is ever unsure.
I have repeatedly tried desensitizing her to the car, but no luck, I will continue but suspect she might prefer a little car as possible life. She is very anxious in cars, even if they aren’t moving.

I left her alone for the first time today, for just over 1 hr, and no problems. I’m back to work tomorrow for the next 2 weeks, thankfully working from home. She is reluctant to come up the stairs to the office, so she will have to learn to accept being alone downstairs or join me in the office.

She will make a great family dog, very affectionate, sleeps for most of the day, enjoys curling up on the sofa together to watch TV / films. She doesn’t ask for much but enjoys being fussed by lots of people, very keen to meet new people. Would love to see forever family lined up when I return her in two weeks. Unfortunately I travel regularly for work, which is not compatible with Jasmine, I also think she would much happier with a busier home than mine!

Stolen Dad's Armchair and wanted to be tucked up with blanket
Stolen Dad's Armchair and wanted to be tucked up with blanket

Will cuddle with whole arm if given a chance
Will cuddle with whole arm if given a chance
Jenny123

Post by Jenny123 »

One week left of fostering Jasmine. I really wish that forever home will be just round the corner, she more than deserves it, and is ready for her new family. If my own circumstances were better suited for her I would love to keep her.

Review of her time so far in foster:

Temperament:
She is sweet natured, adorable, calm, affectionate, and wants lots of pets. Very extroverted, wants to say hi to everyone, especially children (of almost all ages, she will ignore those in prams). She gets lots of compliments and pets on walks. She knows how to use her eyes to full affect.
Around other dogs, she is also gaining more confidence, she now is happy to great most dogs. Smaller ones a little nervous of, but will greet and then walk away. Bigger dogs than her she gets very playful. As she has a habit of introducing herself to everyone I’ve been careful in these interactions they are not dogs I know, but so far she seems to have judge their temperament from afar very well.
She could do with a known dog she can play with off lead in an enclosed area.

Walking:
Accepts coat and harness, without fuss, and switching leads, readjusting coats/harness during walks.
If walking to heel, I use two leads, she is too light to really pull, but it reminds her to stay close. In parks I have her on an extended lead so she can sniff around, and she uses the opportunity to have a short run around. She would love some space to run around off lead. Unfortunately my garden & house is too small and it takes seconds for her to get from the front window to the back of the garden.
When staying with my parents over Christmas, she loved going for walks with my long legged brother, who walking pace is more similar to a light jog. She was very content on going on fast long walks, and even tired him out. She will pull a little to encourage you to walk faster, but also likes to stop to sniff.
I’ve been walking her 3 times a day, as I like getting out the house. Typically a 20 min morning, 30 min lunchtime and then nearly an hour at the end of the day. She won’t initiate a walk and doesn’t act too excited, but happy once on a walk. She doesn’t understand what the word ‘walk’ is, but does acknowledge when you’ve picked up her harness and lead. If she had more space to run around at home I doubt she would need so much walking.
I’ve been working on road safety, she doesn’t like walking in a straight line, so has tried to walk into the road when walking along a pavement. This is perfectly manageable on a short lead. She is getting better, she also understands crossings but does like to great people walking the opposite direction in the road.

Energy Levels:
She is not a morning dog, I’ve let her sleep in the past two days (after getting her up somewhere between 7-8am every morning so far). Yesterday she didn’t stir until 10am, and today was 9:30am.
To get her up early the best method is her breakfast. Then you have a short amount of time for loo and a walk before she decides its nap time again. Which has been perfect for working from home as you will not hear a noise out of her.
When she isn’t sleeping, she can be very energetic. She loves attention and food, so these hype her up. Thankfully she sleeps most of the time.
She is perfect throughout the night, not had one noise out of her since I picked her up. She sleeps in her den downstairs on a dogs bed (I restrict access to the sofa overnight, otherwise suspect she would sleep there all the time).

Vocalisation:
She is quiet. I’ve had a few barks, normally one at a time. Once when my phone went off next to her and she was in the room alone (I was upstairs), once at something (suspect muntjac deer) run past us in the distance while taking a walk through the local woods in the dark, once at an elderly fella across the road that looked similar to my dad. Suspect these have either been, slightly spooked, or wanting attention.
She will whine when she wants attention, but fairly quietly and not for long. When working from home I work upstairs and she has been napping downstairs most of the time, so when I get the odd whine I just call downstairs and that seems to work fine.

Playfulness:
She is playful, when not napping. She loves a good belly rub, and her special scratch spot is just above the tail. She doesn’t understand toys, but I’ve been using the ends of a dog tug toy to hide treats in and that works well. Unfortunately I don’t have any treat based toys, but suspect these will work for her.
When she wants to initiate play she likes to stomp her feet on the ground. If you ignore this, she will paw, see training for more details.
When getting affection she likes to lean into you, she will ‘offer a paw’ what she wants is a belly scratch. She will use her winged eyeliner to full affect if you stop petting her, and her paws to encourage your hands to the right spot.

Food:
Generally isn’t fussy, but has an odd treat preference. She likes Salmon based treats, milky bones and dental chews. She doesn’t like forthglade calming or digestive treats, and will pick them out when I’ve tried to hide them in her food.
She is not possessive, will let you take food away from her.
I have been teaching her to sit, stay and release word (Jasmine) for meal times. Which is going well, but still needs reinforcing every now and again.
I do use a slow feeder as she gulps food down quickly, also have water nearby as she always wants a drink after her meal.
With human food, she gets curious when you are cooking and eating your meal, but won’t steal. Best thing to do is ignore her and she gets bored and goes back to napping.

Training:
She is intelligent, come a long way in a few weeks, but some things have to be worthwhile for her. She response well to positive training, with lots of positive vocalisation and pats. Treat based training isn’t the most effective, she sees a treat and sits, and its not easy for her to pick up you want something other than sitting. As she is very affectionate, telling her she is a good girl and giving her some pets is all she needs for training. She is good at picking things up as you go along rather than specific training sessions.
She still needs a little reinforcing now and again, but we have been working on counter surfing, bin raiding (she liked to move cardboard recycling but wasn’t eating anything), pulling on the lead, road safety, learning not everyone she walks past wants to say hi.
House training is going well, once she knows the structure she is all good and will go to the loo on walks and in the garden.
One thing she still needs work on, is she likes to paw and occasionally resting front feet on your chest when she wants attention. If she does not get the attention, she escalates the behaviour (its classic extinction burst behaviour). Resulting in some heavy pawing, and jumping at people. She does this with people she is most confident with, so she thankfully hasn’t done this to strangers, but has does this to myself and my family. I’m happy to give fuss when asked nicely, but ignoring her when she escalates (including when she looks like she wants to place her paws on you). She is starting to get it, but it needs constant reinforcement.

Left alone:
Jasmine can be left alone, I haven’t had the need to leave her for long hours, but I’ve gone to the shops and picked visitors up from the station and she stayed sleeping wherever I left her. Didn’t cause any problems or whine. I work full time, mostly from home and she is content staying in a different room and not seeing be for hours, though has come to sit on the dogs bed in the office twice before deciding the sofa downstairs is better.

Things Jasmine’s loves:
• Sofa / Arm chairs
• Soft blankets
• Affection
• Lots of People around (not just for the affection, happy snoozing in a room full of people to)
• Fireplaces
• Bread – despite not feeding her any, we sometimes walk past a duck pond and she will find any left over bread crumbs.

Things Jasmine’s dislikes:
• The car
• Being told off – expect saying one word negatively to result in a sulking dog that takes herself to her bed that won’t talk to you for hours.
• Visitors leaving – expect whining and staring at door. Fixed by a cuddle on the sofa
Jenny123

Re: Jasmine Lurcher DofB ?2021 Colchester Temp Foster

Post by Jenny123 »

To add to my review. Here are some photos of Jasmine.

She is a little difficult to photograph on the move, but I promise you she is capable of getting off the sofa.

She will attempt to be a lap dog, but accepts the two of us are too bony to get too comfortable. So you often just get a head and a paw.

Resting cuddle time, look
Resting cuddle time, look

Belly is here, just need your hand, look
Belly is here, just need your hand, look

Affection now please look
Affection now please look

I want to play look
I want to play look

Is it cuddle time look
Is it cuddle time look

Why are you delaying my dinner to take a photo look
Why are you delaying my dinner to take a photo look