Chewie AmBull DofB 13.11.20 Gatwick Kenns

xxlynne

Chewie AmBull DofB 13.11.20 Gatwick Kenns

Post by xxlynne »

Current Status: Available
chewie1DSCF2301a.jpg
Chewie's Story: Chewie was one of 11 pups and has retained a preciousness over food due to his obvious struggle to get access to 'mum'. Chewie has grown up in a 3 child family 13yrs and 2x 6 years olds. As he began to mature at clumsy 6 months with growth spurt and he began to assert himself more and this was seen as "dominance" and certain freedoms were withdrawn like sleeping in the bedroom or lying on the sofa. We believe this furthered his sense of self, separate to his family. Whilst still going through a mouthy stage he is learning to control his instincts. For example he would as a puppy mouth moving feet but now has developed inhibition. He can get a little "bitey" when excited but he is improving. Around the time of changes to his freedoms with all the additional 'Stay' 'Off' 'Down' commands he bit the 13 yrs old when in the garden as she walked past him. He was with a plastic bottle which the family could only think prompted the bite but it may just be his misjudgement of calibration (control of strength) over his play instincts and mouthing. His family needed to give him up and another Rescue took him over but within 4 days had decided they needed him out as he had grabbed a fosterers hand as she approached a cat litter tray and their faith in him tumbled. Rescue Remedies offered a Rescue place saving his life. Chewie is now neutered, chipped, and fully vaccinated. Chewie is in boarding kennels near Gatwick whilst awaiting his new family.

If interested in rehoming one of our dogs, the first step is to complete and submit our ONLINE HOMING QUESTIONNAIRE. We do not discuss dogs without a homing questionnaire submission. You must be ready and sadly due to unprecedented interest, we will only be able to contact you if we have a suitable dog. For more detailed information, please see our Homing Process.

Please support our work and help our long stay dogs: Our minimum adoption donation is £200. This supports our continuing rescue work and is non-refundable. We exist solely due to the goodwill and donations of our supporters and volunteers. Our dogs need supportive families who will offer them patience, time and tolerance whilst they settle in their new homes. Our Rescue offers all our dogs back-up for life.

Please note: Dog laws have changed, with zero public tolerance and prejudice against bull breeds and terriers. Our Rescue asks new owners to keep their dog on a lead in public spaces and manage and support its encounters with new dogs and people, so as not to place the dog's life at risk. Destruction and Control Orders are commonplace nowadays.
chewie2DSCF2303.jpg
Chewie's progress through our Rescue is below.
We work with our dogs, who often reveal a different picture and positive skills as they build trust.
Original Referral information: Came in as an emergency to save his life.

Chewie came in on the 25th May 2021
johnfowle

Re: Chewie AmBull DofB 13.11.20 Gatwick Kenns

Post by johnfowle »

It sounds as though Chewie is a typical puppy learning how to calm down and be a "good boy". He has already had three different "homes" in his young life and it is not surprising, therefore, that he is finding it difficult to settle in each new environment, each one with its own expectations and demands. The comments of the vet of the previous rescue centre are totally unacceptable and I would support any attempt to report him to his professional body for suggesting such a course of action for such a young dog without any underlying medical condition.
I am confident that the experience of the RR staff will provide Chewie with the support he needs and ensure that he develops into a typical lovable and slobbery AmBull.
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

How terribly sad ...so many dogs are let down by humans. ...alot of rescues will not take any dog with bite history. ..but this is a young puppy that just needs guidance. ..i cant believe people still believe in the dominant theory ....our dogs just need us to give guidance and clear boundaries. ....
anne

Post by anne »

I met Chewie on Wednesday and observed that he was very nervous and unsure about what was going on. Totally understandable. He was curious when I stepped inside his kennel but after giving him some time to sniff me, he was happy for me to clip on leads and head out for a walk. He is a typical 6 month old pup, curious, gangly and still 'growing into himself'. However I found him very responsive to me and calm and unfazed around people and other dogs. He is a really delightful character who just needs understanding and some kind and reassuring guidance through his adolescence.
Fist day and you can see the nervousness in his body.
chewie3DSCF2255.jpg
chewie4DSCF2256.jpg
chewie5DSCF2258.jpg
chewie6DSCF2261.jpg
chewie7DSCF2273.jpg
Day 2 and I enjoyed 2 walks with Chewie. He was a lot less nervous. Again he was a delight to spend time with and was very keen to please and listened and responded really well to my direction. When a deer crossed out path in the woods and then hung around quite close checking us out, Chewie stood quietly and observed. This seems to be his way of sussing out the world, he just needs time and space to take his time and process his thoughts. On the lead he is actually very calm for such a young boy.
More confident today than yesterday!
chewie8DSCF2293.jpg
chewie9DSCF2305.jpg
Russ-Sarah

Post by Russ-Sarah »

It's nice to see Chewie is getting on ok in his first week, it was a heart breaking decision to have to re-home him, however we could no longer trust him around our 3 girls after the bite incident.
Chewie was fine on his walks but very nervous, if encountering other people or dogs, he always had to approach them first.
He didn't like lively dogs approaching him especially from behind.
Next time he met that particular dog or person again he would be more confident with them.
We will always be grateful to Lynne and all you volunteers at Rescue Remedies for giving him the chance to be the amazing dog we know he can be. Sarah & Russ
RosC

Post by RosC »

I met the gorgeous Chewie today. He seemed quite timid as I went in his kennel so let him come forward to sniff me before picking up the lead and heading out.
He seemed quite nervous and a little jumpy but arriving in kennels must be unsettling.
However we had a lovely walk and a little cuddle and stroke on return to kennel. He was very calm, gentle and well behaved but he may get more boisterous as he settles in!
In fact I enjoyed walking him so much I popped back with Katie before we left for another outing. This time he came forward and licked my hand as I entered the kennel. We passed the paddock where Jupiter was running around playing ball and we stood and watched for a while, I think Chewie wanted to join in.
Chewy has very striking good looks and is very gangly so I think will be a big boy!
I think I have a new favourite love4.gif
lainey29

Post by lainey29 »

Kiss of love.gif Popped in to see chewie today after meeting him yesterday with Tam, such a sweet boy but a bit nervous to begin with but once out he seemed very happy plodding along, grabbed the lead a couple of times but distracted easily, think he just enjoyed to be out again for the 3rd time today thumbs.gif he is definitely on my list to walk again positivo1.gif
rstephenson

Post by rstephenson »

We had the absolute pleasure of meeting Chewie today and we are in love love4.gif
He was very accepting of me entering his kennel, and I quickly had his leads clipped on and swapped over and out we went.
He is such a young lad and you can see him exploring and taking everything in as he walks. Those big paws and long legs make him look a bit unstable 0002.gif]
But he was very well behaved and responded well to commands. He sat beautifully when asked whilst a car went past!
We did notice he didn’t like the lead trailing along his back, when this happened he would ‘grab’ (place in his mouth with barely any effort) the leads as if to say ‘what is this touching me’ - he also did this with long stems or branches of bushes that brushed him as he past. He was a little itchy too so perhaps it was him getting use to his harness, and feeling something on his back?
We kept our energy low and tried not to fuss him too much, as we didn’t want to overwhelm him. He was happy with a little head stroke, but didn’t seem too keen around his neck - although happy for me to attach lead to collar thumbs.gif

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Attachments
89F4DCDA-A61A-45BC-87A7-CB13085F5462.jpeg
9317E433-9D37-4B90-8DD9-A3B0B9940217.jpeg
85DC6059-426C-44BD-A42C-E4416B244E59.jpeg
Jude&Alf

Post by Jude&Alf »

Chewie is going to do amazing in the care of RR thumbs.gif just a few days in and you can already see this beautiful boys confidence starting to grow.
I was lucky enough to see Chewie enjoying some paddock time with Lynne the other day and oh how this darling boy is finding his feet and opening up to all that life has to offer. Slowly and gently Chewie will hopefully forget his worries and just be the normal, happy go lucky puppy that he should be love4.gif
lainey29

Post by lainey29 »

Another couple of walks today with Chewie :smiley-chores002.gif: he is definitely gaining more confidence day by day although a little nervous when I entered his kennel for his first walk today but once he came and sniffed he was ready to accept the leads going on positivo1.gif when out we bumped into Anne and Jack who followed behind and Chewie quite enjoyed the company stopping a few times to look back to see if his new friend was still there lol.gif he had a couple of rolls around in the grass on our walk which he gets very exited about but you just need to keep his energy levels down and he settles back to normal walking rhythm soon after, he is so keen to learn and always looks at his walkers to build his confidence he is just a super young boy who needs the right family to progress his training Kiss of love.gif :dog-115.gif:

Return to “Our Amazing Americian Bulldogs (Ambulldogrescue.co.uk)”