Skyla Crossbreed DofB ?2010/12 Godalming

Dogs that have found their forever home
renatatlek

Re: Skyla Crossbreed DofB ?2010/12 Godalming

Post by renatatlek »

What a lovely update on Skyla! She looks amazing! Getting younger, not older :-)
Renata&Norbert
KathrynG

Post by KathrynG »

Wow, Skyla looks so well! Lovely glossy coat. Great to hear how she's living her best life. Beautiful girl Kiss of love.gif
NickyH

Post by NickyH »

Skyla's 1st Gotcha Day!
A year ago we adopted Skyla, or rather she adopted us and we were aware she was an older dog with special needs. We have found her to be, loving, goofy, stubborn, hilarious and stoic. We have all adapted and developed strategies to deal with her difficulties. Skyla is a joy and I only mention the following issues as an illustration of how it is possible to work around such things.
Her nerve damage and dyspraxia means she is clumsy, has wobbly legs and feet that can knuckle over, however this does not cause her distress and she can leap a couple of feet off the ground at times! Nerve damage also means she cannot fully empty her bladder leading to incontinence. I have learnt how to help her with this, and while there will always be accidents at night, these are now rare in the day.
She is reactive to dogs and barks a lot, so we take her for short walks in specific areas at certain times to avoid other dogs. We also realised her mid vision is poor so she can bark at people across the road until she sees who it is close up, she then happily greets them. I bought her a full length, lightweight, high vis jacket with, "Nervous, sorry I bark" on it. It has been 100% positive. People now smile instead of scowl if she barks at them or their dogs and we can share her story and that of RR.
She can be jumpy with certain sounds, eg from the kitchen or if somebody blinks too loudly! However, she loves noisy lorries, vans, bin men, lawnmowers and strimmers!?! Hilarious.
If anyone is thinking of adopting an older dog or one with difficulties/ special needs, do it! You need, patience, time, a good sense of humour and a good washing machine! Thank you to everyone who looked after Skyla on her journey to us.
So far I have relied on June to post updates here, so now I am trying for myself. My incompetence with IT is legendary, so apologies if this does not post correctly. I will attempt to post photos separately!
NickyH

Post by NickyH »

Hopefully there is a photo attached
8C2A5D3F-7CB0-485C-B7BC-4B0A89D6FC35.jpg
Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum »

How lovely to see Skyla, she looks wonderful! Thank you for giving her her life back and being so patient, it's not everyone that can deal with special needs Kiss of love.gif
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit and like our Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3303557299925949/
https://www.facebook.com/rescueremediesdogrescue/
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Oh my gosh ..she looks like a different dog :smiley-bounce016.gi:
Special dog found her special people Kiss of love.gif
Thank you for giving her such a wonderful home :nicethread.gif: woo.gif]
Sarahk

Post by Sarahk »

Such a wonderful update, Thankyou for loving Skyla so xxx
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
Jan Case

Post by Jan Case »

Gosh can't believe it's been a whole year since Skyla got to go home. Thank you so much for loving her xxx love4.gif
Jojokate

Post by Jojokate »

:smiley-bounce016.gi:
NickyH

Post by NickyH »

Thank you for your lovely comments, it means a lot. We just try and do our best, as does everyone involved in some way with RR.
I hope I have attached a photo of Skyla enjoying the sun, usual sunbathing precautions apply!
AC1230FB-AC15-4EAB-8C74-5EDA52B88DE1.jpg

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”