Shadow Dutch Shepherd DofB 13.06.14 RRemedies Centre

Other breeds that are available for adoption
Darren1

Re: Shadow Dutch Shepherd DofB 13.06.14 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Darren1 »

I managed to steal Shadow away for a little weekend break last weekend woo.gif] and treat him to a nice little quiet break down on the coast for a couple of days :)

Please excuse my lack of outdoor videos this time but every time we set off for a walk the heavens opened and we found ourselves in monsoon type conditions!!

We started off with a stroll along the beach again, He's still not convinced about the big scary waves but is happy to walk along next to them :) and we had the added benefit of bad weather so had the whole beach to ourselves!

We then headed back for a warm up and some tasty snacks :) He does get very excited when entering a house (even after the 5th time that day!) and likes to express his excitement but playing with the nearest cushion/pillow or any soft furnishing thats not fixed down! This is a brief period and easily managed by introducing a high value toy, in this case a bright pink squeaky octopus! or by just leaving his leads attached and stoking him just for the first couple of minutes after entering before removing his lead :) The home environment is so different from kennel life im sure this level of excitement would soon diminish once he's adjusted to home life.

He LOVES having a few toys dotted around the house to play with and plays very gently for a large confident dog, he's quite happy to let you take the toy and sit and wait for it to be thrown :)

For our afternoon walks I decided we'd head out to nearby spots to get some positive experiences associated with car journeys, this also meant we could call in and meet some new people as he doesn't often get the chance to actually greet new faces, Our first stop was my Dad and his partner Rae's house for some socially distanced outside fuss :) , Shadow does need pre-planned and structured introductions to new people and will take a couple of meetings to earn his trust, I must clarify that doesn't mean he exhibits aggression, it just means you need to earn his trust before he accepts you as a 'friend', after which you'll be friends for life!! Of course sausages can go along way to fast tracking this procedure and from the first minute of meeting them we had the 'Sit,paw,sausage' routine down to seconds!! Rae done especially well as its only in the last few years she has embraced dogs after losing trust with them during a bad childhood experience, As you can see Shadow was the perfect gent and was very gentle :)
Shadow Dad.jpg
Dad Shadow 2.jpg
Shadow Rae.jpg
We then headed home for dinner and some rest time, As long as he's had a stimulating day he's quite happy to settle down for most of the evening and enjoy some fuss love4.gif
Shadow bed.jpg
Shadow bed 2.jpg
He did hop on the bed for half hour or so but then decided to take himself off to his own bed where he stayed for the whole night and I didn't hear a peep out of him until I decided to get up the next morning at around 6:300am bravo1.gif Hes also 100% toilet trained and didn't have a single accident all weekend :dog-115.gif:
Shadow own bed.jpg
Hes definitely keen to get out and about after breakfast and he's not one to lounge around watching telly all day so off we went for a walk over the park and then up along the river adur!

As everyone has said before his favourite hobby is sniffing!! He will happily spend several minutes assessing a new smell on a walk before zooming off at 100mph after the next scent :) He will walk on if requested but I class his walks as his time so do indulge him if the situation allows

We headed home again for some lunch and downtime, Hes very well behaved around a kitchen and has no interest in work surfaces or food thats been left out, and very little interest in kitchens in general! So heres a weird little video just incase you were wondering! ps.if you ever think about cooking him some scrambled eggs....then don't bother, he doesn't like them!

Then there was just enough time for some play time and a quick power nap with cuddles from his new best friend 'green caterpillar!'

Shadow snoozing.jpg
All to soon it was time to head back, so we finished off the weekend with a nice walk up on top of the South Downs on our way home :)

It was a fab weekend and he makes a great house guest :) Im sure he would settle into a home environment easily if given enough time to adjust to his new surroundings, Hes got such a big heart and jus needs his new best friend to explore life with wheyhey.gif

Till next time.....
Attachments
Shadow Sofa.jpg
Tamsin

Post by Tamsin »

Looks like you two had a fantastic weekend. Thank you for taking this time out with Shadow and so nice that he met your dad and Rae.
Broomstick

Post by Broomstick »

What a kind person you are to take special Shadow away for a break, he is lucky to call you his friend. I hope this will show what a great dog he is. A lovely boy who just needs a chance with the right person. You must be out there somewhere?
EmmaNicole

Post by EmmaNicole »

What an amazing write up from your weekend with shadow showing just what a good boy he is. Come on active peeps you know you want a shadow shaped walking companion 😀
Julieh

Post by Julieh »

Doesn’t he look happy , come forever home . Such a beautiful boy 💕
Jojokate

Post by Jojokate »

Darren to see shadow spending some quality time out of kennels and showing off what a kind heart shadow has is lovely . Can we clone you for shadows home? 😂
Plus for Rae to create a bond with Shads after his last experience is really special
He’s a special boy is our Shads
Darren1

Post by Darren1 »

I was lucky enough to have the pleasure of Shadows company again last weekend thumbs.gif

We had a great weekend and managed to go the whole two days without a single soft furnishing meeting its demise! It looks like massive illuminous panthers that squeak are far more appealing than my pillows woo.gif] and it provides a great outlet for his energy if he feels a little overwhelmed

This is 30sec after arriving home....

And after a couple of minutes of squeaky madness this is what you end up with.....

At the moment his maximum rest/sleep period seems to be around the 2hr mark, after which he will want to do something stimulating, be it going out for a walk or playing with toys (sometimes the toys don't even cut it), So if your idea of a perfect Sunday on a cold and wet winters day is to put the wood burner on and binge watch Netflix all day then think again!! Its not going to happen!!

Mornings especially can be a little challenging, We went out at around 7:30am for a 45min pre breakfast walk, came home and ate, he had an hour or so's nap and was bored by 10:00am! So off we went again :)

This may or may not change with time, he's got a great position in the kennels and has access to 100% stimulation during the day if he choses to, Be it dogs walking past, the kennel staff walking by busy with their daily duties, Walking volunteers or noisey doggy neighbours! It must be quite a shock for him to be in a quiet home environment, maybe even boring, So its best to assume he may need a fair time to adjust to a new routine, or maybe not if your a busy person!

To have a happy dog and to exercise a breed like this properly on a lead this is the sort of pace you'll need to keep on a walk for around 1.5hrs.....

We went out for a lovely walk along the river and up the old steam railway line out the back of Steyning for the afternoon, After our walk we stopped off at my workshop for a rest and a cup of tea! In true Shadow style he decided the best way to chill out was to sit and watch the rabbits and listen to the birds while sitting on top of a pack of bricks!!.......(apologies for the poor video quality as it was getting dark by then)

It also turns out he like to bury bones!! I couldn't get the phone sorted quick enough to film the dig but here he is using his nose to fill the hole back in 0002.gif] Amazing to watch! ive never actually seen a dog do this before and he made a superb job of patting all the earth back down :)

I also had some bones/chew type treats at home for him incase he got bored but all he did was run round the house for 5mins or so attempting to bury them in the house!! After emptying the lower area of my walk in cupboard he decided that wasn't good enough so he ended up nudging it behind my hoover and then went back to check it was still there every time he passed it!

I awoke Sunday to find I had a visitor on my bed :) When I enquired as to what he thought he was doing he layed motionless just wagging his tail at me, he then shimmied up the bed and licked my nose! I think he knew he was being cheeky as he didn't move a muscle until I decided to get up :)

The beach is only over the road so we did try a couple of walks there again but he's really not a great fan, he much prefers the countryside or anywhere with grass and bushes to smell :) Although this week he did pluck up the courage to paddle briefly in the shallow waves positivo1.gif so he's getting used to it gradually :)
Shadow on Rock.jpg
I cant wait to spend some more time with this lovely lad, he's such a good companion and really does try his best to please, Probably one of the most rewarding dogs you could have the pleasure to spend some time with :)

Please please consider Shadow! Hes just bursting with love for the right person love4.gif
RosC

Post by RosC »

Darren, this makes me so happy to see Shadow relaxing and being the super dog we know he is underneath all the excitement. And what a relief for your cushions and pillows 🤣
It just shows what can be achieved by taking time to get to know a dog and allowing him to be himself .
Shadow is not for a novice home but the right person / family is out there for him for sure.
Thank you so much! 😊
Nic

Post by Nic »

Love it when I see Shadows kennel empty at the weekend. Love the squeaky toy video! He really is such a handsome special guy.
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

Just had to sign up to say he's absolutely beautiful. I hope he finds his forever home.

Return to “Our Outstanding Rescue Remedies Dogs”