Shadow Dutch Shepherd DofB 13.06.14 RRemedies Centre

Other breeds that are available for adoption
SimonF

Re: Shadow Dutch Shepherd DofB 13.06.14 Shoreham Temp Foster

Post by SimonF »

Awesome work Darren. This is how Shads was when I could foster him before I adopted Roxie. He is so easy going and to be honest just your normal Shep with his energy.

It’s so good to see him getting out and about and having some form of normality and so much fun. Miss him due to this lockdown.

He’s my lottery dog love4.gif
gsdlover

Post by gsdlover »

These videos make me so happy. Typical shepherd breed,immensely loyal and amazing companions.

Thank you so much for giving Shadow regular foster breaks. Looks like they are really benefitting him.
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

Just great to see Shadow showing his many wonderful qualities on foster. That you Darren for letting him shine!!! thumbs.gif
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
Darren1

Re: Shadow Dutch Shepherd DofB 13.06.14 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Darren1 »

Ive been having some great walks with Shadow lately, We always do around 2hrs which gives him a nice opportunity to stretch his legs and time to de-stress from the kennels and enjoy his time out :)

I remembered to catch some road footage and show just what a good lad he is on narrow pavements on a fairly fast road, nice slack leads and he just ignores the passing traffic -

He got very muddy on Saturday so I braved it and gave him a nice warm shower when we got back :crossfingers.gif: He wasn't too amused but stood and waited very patiently while I washed him and only tried to escape twice 0002.gif] , I decided to muzzle him just incase he took real offence to my plan but it really wasn't needed, he behaved perfectly while I restrained him and never once stepped out of line :) Just a shame he'll prob look the same by tomorrow given the weather at the moment! Ha!
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Shadow went with Darren on Tuesday to the vets for a full MOT. He was sedated and his ears, eyes, throat, skin and fur were thoroughly checked over. His teeth were immaculate,. Our vet emptied his anal glands and gave him his annual booster and weighed him. Clean bill of health. Shadow was very happy to see Darren as he woke up and enjoyed a lovely walk once he awoke back at the kennels. Thank you Darren and our Vet!
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

:smiley-bounce016.gi:
Been befriending Shadow for the last few weeks culminating with a formal introduction yesterday. So today was the day for our 1st walk. He does get stressed around being touched near his belly when the harness goes on. That was the trickiest bit of the whole walk. A few handling errors there that will need reviewing. After that we took the long way round and he was glad to be out and about. He walked well and was surprisingly light on the lead.
Some not so good pics:
20210321_161942.jpg
20210321_161946.jpg
20210321_161949.jpg
Darren1

Post by Darren1 »

Ive had some great foster breaks with Shadow over the last couple on months, Arriving home is now uneventful, he doesn't even really sniff about anymore, as long as his food and exercise needs are fulfilled he's a very good house guest :)

Ive been unable to test his visitor skills due to lockdown but he does have some natural guarding behaviours and does protect his human sometimes so its probable that introductions will be necessary for new visitors that he doesn't know, if properly managed these behaviours are unnoticeable to members of the public or anyone else while out and about, he will happily sit down and watch the world go by if you stop to chat to someone (at the current 2m distance) but you will need to take the alpha role to enable him to relax and let you make the decisions, All very easy to manage, just short leads and ask him to sit!

Ive finally got a secure outside space so we tried some off lead treat training last week, He loved it! and absolutely exceeded all my expectations, Heres a little vid taken after only a couple of minutes -

Although this is a very impressive start it doesn't yet translate into real world situations! Hes got some very deep routed responses to external stimulus and will not be able to be off-lead outside of a secure environment.

We had a lovely afternoon walking along the river Adur and bumped into my friend again with his 15months old GSD 'Kye', Shadow has a puppy like excitement when meeting new doggy friends but this only lasts a minute or two and once walking has commenced he settles very quickly, They both seemed more interested in smelling each others smells than walking!

After walks he loves to sit about and have some fuss love4.gif Hes very relaxed after he's had his exercise :)

Hes also spent a lot of time lounging about and sleeping at home, I think he's getting to know our routine now and finding time to relax and snooze :)
84AA61D2-C3E2-4B3A-953D-C6862419A19A.jpeg

8BBB4695-41AE-4750-A9A2-4C12122B28A1.jpeg
BA5C0CDA-247A-49CD-95E3-A49F55A2EC36.jpeg
I think Shadow will really shine in a home environment and will be the most devoted loyal companion bighug.gif
Julieh

Post by Julieh »

Thank you for giving beautiful Shadow some relaxing time away from kennels.
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

I had a nice walk with Shadow yesterday then cuddles in the paddock (which is my favourite part! love4.gif ).

Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
Darren1

Post by Darren1 »

Shadows been GREAT company for the bank holiday Kiss of love.gif
DCD6DA23-AE74-4586-94DF-955CF3650EED.jpeg

I didn't want to jinx it and post too early but the last few foster weekends he's been amazing!! Such a pleasant house guest and at times I nearly forgot he was here! We still stick to our routine but he now likes to nap for an hour or two after every walk and seems more focused on relaxing and just being with someone rather than just wanting to release his built up energy through physical exercise. Your going to have to be patient at the beginning but with some time and lots of kindness he really is a super chap and very affectionate and loving :)

1E958857-AE82-4B8F-A7CD-1A2F32C28413.jpeg

It was a hot weekend this week so we had reduced walks in places with shade or water! Hes still not brave enough to go out of his depth but he loves having a paddle about and a cool off :)

We popped in and visited my Dad and Rae and spent an hour or two in the garden, He was perfectly well behaved and just laid down in the shade for fuss and scratches while we chatted away, Their neighbours stood on something and popped their heads over the fence to say hello, Shadow was a bit surprised and showed a fair interest and gave a tiny little grumble of disapproval that someone dare to invade our personal space! He only stood up on alert and sat back down on command, He was on lead for the whole visit as he had only met Dad and Rae very briefly once before about 6months ago but had he been off-lead im fairly certain he would've bound over to the fence and given them a good telling off :dog_running-186.gif: So it goes without saying really but high, strong fences are a must as Shadow seems to take his duties quite seriously.

We also had our first house guest since ive been fostering him as this has been out of the question before due to lock down, He didn't seem to react when the door was knocked so maybe he's never been present in a house when someones knocked on the door before? but as soon as I approached the door and looked out the window to see who it was he realised someone was there and immediately made it quite clear that they'd better be coming in peace or there'd be trouble! I briefed John (our visitor) through the window and harnessed Shadow up for an introduction, he was very vocal when I opened the door but quickly assessed that John wasn't a threat and was happy to stand by my side while we chatted, We obviously kept a distance and Shadow remained on-lead for the whole time but happily followed my lead and allowed John into the house and through into the garden where we sat for an hour or so chatting while Shadow slept at my feet. John is experienced with dogs and used to large breeds hence my approach to the situation as ive been dying to find out what Shadows response would be to visitors, Unless your visitor is very comfortable around dogs and has been briefed on what to expect id suggest that Shadow will need to be placed in a secure room/garden while you answer the door as he's got some very strong natural guarding tendency's, after entry to the house introductions will need to be on lead and gradual to allow trust to be built, This may or may not settle down with time, this was the first time ever a visitor had come round during the whole time ive been fostering him so its a very new experience for him, and it was someone he's never met before. On a positive note..You'll never have to fear being burgled ever again!!

He travels very well in a car and loves sitting there looking about and taking in all the sights and smells, you'll have a happy dog if you can get some car time in on the way to walking destinations :)
87A3871D-99C2-4635-86F0-4CC65E71D07C.jpeg

Fill out those forms and come and say hi!!!

Return to “Our Outstanding Rescue Remedies Dogs”