Bear (Beau) Staffie DofB 11th November 13 - 1st December 21

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
Elliesmum

Re: Bear (Beau) Staffie DofB 11.11.13 Barby, Warwickshire

Post by Elliesmum »

So sorry of hear this, what an awful thing to have to deal with. I hope he gets the treatment that will help. I think one of our volunteers, Maria has a dog with this, I'll give her a promt in case she can help.
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit and like our Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3303557299925949/
https://www.facebook.com/rescueremediesdogrescue/
katz

Post by katz »

I'm so sorry to hear of this too. If it is SLO, it is quite rare as you probably know by now. We are 99.9% sure that our labrador cross Naomé has this condition. Our vet in France had never heard of it and after much research on the internet we "diagnosed" the condition after a couple of months of thinking it was an allergy. We then guided the vet as to what treatment to use. It was pretty hit and miss. We are now back in the UK and have found a vet that has experience of condition (I think this is key) and we are trying a different protocol. It's going to depend on how Bear reacts to the treatment, there is no guaranteed treatment and as you most likely know it is genetic and a chronic auto-immune disease which will require life long treatment. There is a SLO group on Facebook and a Yahoo group which is migrating to Facebook. We are in the second round of Naomé losing her claws, seems easier and less painful this time. I think that the high dose of EFA's is helping. You need to get that right. She is also on cyclosporine which she seems to be tolerating fine. She was on doxycycline but it was a nightmare getting her to take it (it tastes horrible apparently). We have to give it six weeks to see if it puts it into remission. She had a dew claw removed as the only way to be certain of the diagnosis is to do a biopsy. Our vet did have one dog that had all the symptoms of SLO but the biopsy showed it was something else. The drugs are expensive so you want to get it right if only for that reason let along the side effects they can have (though we've seen nothing untoward thus far). The only other possibility is leishmaniasis, but that affects the pads as well as the rest of the paws. We had Naomé tested for that and it was negative. You are welcome to message me if you like. I understand your pain and frustration, it's a horrible disease and there is not much information available. Wishing you and Bear all the best. Maria xx
SuperTed

Post by SuperTed »

A big :thanks.gif: to both Elliesmum and especially Maria, your responses are much appreciated.

I've been to pick up his meds today, he's having a three-pronged attack... a high dose of steroids, trental (pentoxifylline) and fatty acids. I also asked for some painkillers as we've had to stop the metacam due to starting the steroids and he can hardly walk, bless him, so he's joining me on tramadol :shock: we can have our loopy moments together! love4.gif Hopefully we can drop those once (🤞) the other meds start taking effect.

Really really hoping the meds work and he starts getting some relief soon! We're back in 10 days to check how he's doing with the meds although I know that'll be very early days for a clear response to the treatment.

🤞 For my little boy Bear! positivo1.gif
xxlynne

Re: Bear (Beau) Staffie DofB 11th November 13 - 1st December 21

Post by xxlynne »

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Bear was a joy of a dog 200% Staffie scrumptiousness Feeling your pain Mandie and John know you had hope for many many more years. Very very special boy stay strong and remember all the good times
Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum »

How very sad, I'm so sorry to hear this awful news, life is so unfair sometimes. Thank you for loving this scrumptious boy for as long as you had him. My heart goes out to you blu1.gif
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit and like our Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3303557299925949/
https://www.facebook.com/rescueremediesdogrescue/
MandaTK

Post by MandaTK »

Mandie and John so sad to hear that Bear has crossed the Bridge. I am sending you both huge hugs and to Gracie. I will never forget Bear he was the chattiest staffie I have ever met!!!!! It was like he was always saying "its my turn to talk and yours to listen!"; A beautiful boy. Thank you for giving him the love he deserved and for giving him such a wonderful time. Run free Bear I bet you have lots to tell all of those over the Bridge. You will be so missed you beautiful boy xxxxxxxxxxxx blu1.gif
Julieh

Post by Julieh »

I’m so sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy .
Thank you for loving him and giving him the best life , gentle hugs for you all.
Run free Bear, knowing how very much you were loved 🌈xxx
mandyandmike

Post by mandyandmike »

So sorry for your loss, it`s always so sad when they leave but even more so when they are not that old.
Bear was a dear little chap xx
SuperTed

Post by SuperTed »

Oh Bear, missing you so much little man! Christmas isn't the same without you stealing our presents because you loved unwrapping them - once you got through yours, you started on everyone else's - with Gracie just looking on in bemusement! love4.gif Haven't got the floor covered in torn soggy paper remnants as you liked making the mess but refused to get the hang of clearing up after yourself! 0002.gif]
I'm trying to console myself with the thought of you running free with that big grin on your face, tongue lolling, on those diddy legs of yours, amongst all others we've loved and lost before! Love you my buddy Bear! xx

Thank you for your kind messages. Manda - he really was the chattiest of staffies, wasn't he! love4.gif Can't get over just how quiet life is now, bless him!
MandaTK

Post by MandaTK »

Biggest hugs to you all xxx they leave such an ache in our hearts and Bear was such a special boy xxx all my love xxx

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”