Rufus Staffie DOB 2013 Headington Oxford

Dogs that have found their forever home
marknsal

Re: Rufus Staffie DOB 2013 Headington Oxford

Post by marknsal »

Lovely to read how well h is doing. Re squirrels welcome to our world, Bella in all other respects an exemplar of the breed is nuts if she sees squirrels to the extent that there is no off lead in a forest!
EmmaTDW

Post by EmmaTDW »

Lovely to hear he is settling in. I think about him lots! He didn't pay any attention to the pheasants in our garden so may be fine with chickens, but was super excited when he spotted our cat so yes, I think small furries interest him greatly :) Glad he's giving you lots of love and pleasure. He's a super boy :biggrin.gif:
jgp9977

Post by jgp9977 »

So pleased to hear it is going so well for you all
steveoxford

Post by steveoxford »

Hi folks

Lovely to hear from you all. nice to hear about other dogs having 'squirrel' issues. He was leaping six feet up a tree crying with excitement and then running round the tree tying himself in knots. you can imagine the scenario. me walking around the tree to untie him and having to walk at a rate as he was just going around and around. its tiring just to watch. LOL. A totally different dog indoors. loves a back rub and buries his head in your legs if you kneel down. the comments on the difference between street walks, fields and woods are sooo true. Streets easy and very pleasant, fields near woods still sniffy and keen. woods just hope no squirrels or deer/badger/rabbit smells or your lead arm will be tested. One of the lovely things about him is he meets dogs so well. My lovely previous dog river was fine if the dogs were friendly and calm but if they were in your face he soon reacted. I walked miles avoiding unknown dogs as he was attacked twice by unknowns. rufus just wags his way up bends his legs, allows a sniff and either ignores because he is hunting something or wants to play so know i can just meet people and say hello. bliss!! He will eat anything given the chance so out and about avoid wrappers and anything on the ground that is not a stone!!! I work in a garden office and rufus has a basket next to me. He was excellent from the start. good sniff round and within 5 mins kipping in his basket. I am on the phone all day so this is brill.

not a good video. energy saving lighting. Grrr! but r having a nice time

http://youtu.be/_Bta7dJrmwk
aloepeter

Post by aloepeter »

So pleased to see you're having a great time with Rufus. Yes, he's a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and IMHO some staffies are more "Bull" and others are more "Terrier". Lots of terriers come fitted with a "squirrel override" button which, when activated, sends all other thoughts out of their head. The factory settings mean it cannot be deactivated by mere humans. It can cease to function with time but, while you wait to find out, I'm sure you'll discover lots of wonderful alternative walks ... especially in Autumn! :biggrin.gif:
steveoxford

Post by steveoxford »

rufus continues to be a lovely soft boy. has met loads of dogs small and huge! all wags smells and happiness. It is lovely to know that all the regular forest walkers i meet are all relaxed about seeing him and we can chat. Ive built a belt harness to take the weight of my arms holding his lead as he circles around and dives into every bush, gap or rabbit/deer trail. when he is in normal smell mode its just busy tracking back and forth. when its something really good, squirrel or deer track hang on and be prepared for crying pulling and heaving to get somewhere. Away from smell central he is a lovely friendly boy who wishes to please. he loves a tug of war on a rope and is in a dilema, he wants to fetch it but to leave it is to not be able to chew it. He loves flyball but as i cant let him off the lead yet i end up runnning as far as he does. so far i have not come back with a ball,destroyed after 4th throw. Indoors he is a much calmer boy and loves a back rub and basically to be near you with ideally a good chewy thing for a quack chomp. I dont know if he was living on the streets and hungry but boy does he eat anything on the ground!!! I think a round of obedience training for us would be good as he really wants to please but is soo distracted by smells. When away from distractions he waits to be told to start his food or to get on the sofa or walk in the house from a walk so all in all for a young boy he is very obedient.
We have a staffie!!! I will upload some pics
steveoxford

Post by steveoxford »

rufy.jpg
steveoxford

Post by steveoxford »

rufy.jpg
nina

Post by nina »

Lovely update, he sounds as though he is keeping you on your toes :thanks.gif:
steveoxford

Post by steveoxford »

Hi folks

Happy to say rufus is a gorgeous fella. he really is soft. I have gotten used to his energy and his squirrel button! He is a fly ball dog!! Absolutely tears after a ball and brings it back, then you have to persuade/prize it out of his mouth. He is great in the garden, not an escaper. Kids feed him in the morning and then he wants a bit of lap time. A soft young fella, so good with other dogs. This is not a good vid but he was soo happy to be out in the snow. I was talking on my headset so ignore my gabble. happy dog

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”