Benny Whippet Lurcher DOB 02.08 Barton on Sea

Dogs that have found their forever home
Wander Woman

Re: Benny Whippet Lurcher DOB 02.08 Barton on Sea

Post by Wander Woman »

Thanks, Goldie & Mum! John, you'll never believe me, but Benny regularly gives us 'hugs'! Especially Neil! He puts his paws up on our chests and has an actual cuddle! He also kisses Neil's ear while doing this. I've read that this is a Greyhound/sighthound trait and the receiver should be greatly honoured by this affection. I don't get ear kisses (yet?). :smiley-rolleyes010.gif: We will try to get a photo of this some day for proof! So consider your hug delivered and returned!
Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman »

Some video clips that Neil has put together. Still haven't captured those hugs yet, though!

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Lovely update and video. .it looks like he is smiling blob6.gif]
His tail is amazing when he is in hunt mode ...a bit of podenco in his mix ...maybe ....he looks amazing and has come so far with yours and Neils dedication to this boy :thanks.gif: :thanks.gif: :thanks.gif: :thanks.gif: thumbs.gif xxx
susan ingram

Post by susan ingram »

Hi Kim. Thanks so much for posting the update on dear Benny. I've been abroad for a couple of months and only returned to the UK last week.

I remember Benny so well, and to know that he's loved and thriving is great to hear. 5 years since you and Neil rehomed him! how time flies!

There's only one Benny, he's a unique boy, and he certainly landed on his feet when you and Neil decided to take him into your home.

Loved the video in the New Forest. Wishing you all the very best for the future.
Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman »

Thanks sweetpea. Benny smiles a lot these days! We think he may have some kind of Mediterranean Hound in him. He sure does look and act like he does, anyway. Susan, We officially adopted Benny in November of 2014, so just over three years ago. We had fostered him on and off since Easter 2012, though. Time sure does fly!

Here's a video of Benny and Jessie playing and sharing. Benny needed some encouragement to do this. For a long time, he was too scared. But Jessie adjusts her play for him. She enjoys a good tug and tried to get him to play for ages by shoving the sock in his face over and over!

goodvic2

Post by goodvic2 »

Kim how lovely to see Benny.

Great he is doing so well x ball3.gif
Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman »

Here are some photos of Benny on the sofa next to me and getting a little bit of a cuddle. He has come so far in the last few years. He never would have contemplated sharing a sofa with human or dog a couple years ago. Now he'll share with both, as long as it's on his terms. He even competes with Jess for control of a sofa spot near me in the evenings. these photos are a bit blurry due to motion, and Benny doesn't like his photo taken, so he's telling Neil all about that!

Sharing the sofa
BennySofa.jpg
I use the word 'love' to tell Benny that I'm going to touch him in an affectionate way. So now when he hears the word 'love' he knows that he'll be stroked or cuddled.
BennyLove.jpg
Having a cuddle
BennyCuddle.jpg
Singing!
BennySinging.jpg
Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman »

Benny is an older boy now. He still loves his walks, but now he chooses whether he wants to go or not. If he doesn't want to go, he will growl at me. This happens maybe 2-4 times a month now. It's a special kind of growl - I know what it means. He escalates if I don't get the message the first time! 0002.gif] The first few times this happened, I thought something was wrong - that maybe he was ill. Nope - just getting older; plus, I think he knows he will always have an opportunity for a walk now, whereas at the kennels, he had to get while the getting was good. Neil always plays ball with the dogs when he gets home from work, so we don't worry at all whether Benny is getting sufficient exercise.
Camping in Devon
Camping in Devon
Camping in Devon
Camping in Devon
Benny often likes to sleep under our bed. I joke that some people are afraid that there's a monster under their beds, when we really do have one. winkwink.gif He started doing this a couple years ago. I put a crate mat under there for him so he would be more comfy. We think he likes it under there because he has always liked being in a crate as a 'safe space'. Also, when we're travelling in our van, he has the choice to sleep under our bed when it's made up. So that's how that behaviour could have developed at home.
At Highcliffe Beach
At Highcliffe Beach
At the Pub
At the Pub
I never thought this kind of thing would happen, but Benny has made a friend who lives on our road! There is a gent on our street who walks his dog, Rusty, in the afternoons. Sometimes we see them walking along towards home. Benny and Jessie *always* pull towards them now when we see them. Benny's body language is a sight to see - all wiggly and soft. The guy is very understanding and lets us walk with him for a few minutes. They love Rusty too. Rusty is a very calm dog, about 7-8 years old. He is large, and looks sort of like a Chocolate Lab crossed with a rusty Brown Bear. He has a wonderful way of raising his eyebrows in an expression of surprise. love4.gif Benny doesn't usually like big male dogs, but he likes Rusty! The neighbour is able to give Benny a little fuss now too. Such progress!
In Christchurch
In Christchurch
Having a Swim
Having a Swim
On a Devon Beach
On a Devon Beach
Larking About in the New Forest
Larking About in the New Forest
Hot New Forest Walk
Hot New Forest Walk
johnfowle

Post by johnfowle »

Benny is a very lucky boy to be with you and Neil, Kim. And all those lovely holidays! Please give him a special hug....well, a special pat.....from us all who were in Tunbridge Wells.
Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman »

Awww, thank you, John. We are lucky to have seen such progress over the years with Benny. thumbs.gif Aside from a vet aversion, a case of 'stranger danger' (that does not include any danger of biting, unless he is being held or is at the vet), and a fear of anything new, including garments, collars, smells, etc. - he is just a normal dog. He's really no trouble at all at home, and in fact, is easier than Jess in some circumstances, if you can believe it!

Your special hug has been given! Benny has his 'special time' with me every morning, and has done for a couple years now. He comes to the bedside and makes sure I'm awake every morning. He puts his face in my face - he is the perfect height to do this. Sometimes he paws me if I'm turned away from him. 0002.gif] Then we have cuddle time. I gently scratch him around his face and neck and body and tell him he's getting a love and that he's my best boy and that he's my good ol' Booper-Boo. He answers to the nickname 'Booper' now too - haha! He has now started licking my hands very gently too. love4.gif If it's too early in the morning, I can tell him "five minutes bedtime" and he'll go lie down in his bed for a while and come back later. love4.gif

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”