Archie Patterdale DofB 20.7.20 RRemedies Centre

Sarahk

Re: Archie Patterdale DofB 20.7.20 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Sarahk »

Archi-pops and I had a nice walk yesterday love4.gif
7C495FD0-263C-4CAA-A6E3-D5ED9E6CF5BE.jpeg
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
heleny

Post by heleny »

Archie and I enjoyed our usual two walks last week. I try to make him my first walk of the day as he is very eager to get out into the fresh air and he definitely prefers not to soil his pen. He loves his walks and goes at a fast pace though now he will stop to sniff and take treats - he is so much more relaxed than the
stressed boy who came into kennel care all those weeks ago. He has the most endearing little face and a lovely thick black coat and is a typical patterdale - inquisitive, fun, loving. I do find that it has taken a time for him to get to know me and he still remains sometimes quite aloof. In the woods he shows little interest and reaction to other dogs but that is not the case in the kennels as he definitely wants to see what's going on in the pens next door to him. See you next week Archie unless some very lucky person takes you home. Kiss of love.gif
heleny

Post by heleny »

It's a joy to walk this little black patterdale - he appreciates every minute of being outside and alternates a fast pace with some calm, relaxing sniffing time. woo.gif] He has got a bit dog reactive during his stay at the kennels and so getting him out of his pen and off the kennel grounds can be a bit of a chore but it is easily managed and is worth the effort. woo.gif]

Yesterday we met a couple of dogs with their owners and Archie completely ignored them - he was too intent on continuing with his walk and enjoying the moment.

He is a great dog and would appreciate his own loving home - be aware potential future owner that all RR dogs' homes need to have tall fences and the promise of the owner to keep them on lead unless in a secure space outdoors. Patterdales are great explorers and it is obviously really important to keep these precious dogs safe. woo.gif] woo.gif]
heleny

Post by heleny »

Archie and I have been sharing two weekly walks with great enjoyment. I have settled into the pattern of taking him out first - he likes to keep his space clean so an early morning walk suits him, and the kennels are quieter first thing which also suits him.
He gave me a great greeting this morning and we had a great walk - meeting no one except a deer which Archie almost ignored. He can be quite reactive towards the other RR dogs in kennels and likes to let them know he is out and about but strangely enough he is ok when we meet dogs he doesn't know in the woods.
He is a very fast walker and sometimes is not interested in treats at all on his walks. He does stop for the occasional sniff but Archie is a dog with a purpose - he likes to get round his walk as quickly as possible and get back to the kennels to make sure all the other dogs are behaving themselves! Great little chap. :crossfingers.gif: :crossfingers.gif: :crossfingers.gif:
jan&nick

Post by jan&nick »

IMG_7463.JPG
IMG_7467.JPG
heleny

Post by heleny »

What a lovely looking pattie is Archie! He gives me a lovely greeting and then it's off into the woods. He can get a bit over the top as he leaves his pen and wants to rush over to all the other dogs but he is soon persuaded to run off his energy on a nice walk. Today we went twice as Archie so needed the exercise and distraction. He ignores other dogs when we meet them on walks - it is only the kennel dogs who wind him up a bit although he soon settles with another dog when walking. Archie, like all patterdales, would need to know and trust you before he bestows his great affection on you. He does need the security and comfort of a loving, safe home but until then we will continue to enjoy his lovely company. :crossfingers.gif:
heleny

Post by heleny »

Archie and I have enjoyed a couple of walks so far this week. Because of the hot weather and because the kennels are calmer I like to take him out first thing, just after 8 o'clock, and he appreciates that I think. The woods are relatively cool but there are still plenty of sniffs for him to enjoy. He is always desperate to exit his pen and gets very excited so we don't waste any time exiting. He ignores other dogs we meet which I find strange as he shows such an interest in the kennel dogs when we are on site but it does make life easier as early mornings in the heat the woods are quite busy.
He just loves to splash about in the stream and to have a long drink and it is great to see him relaxing in the water.
He really will make someone the perfect little companion. :crossfingers.gif:
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Yesterday Archie went into our vets to have his big op. Archie had an undecended testicle so his abdominal cavity had to be opened up to find it. Mark our vet has sent it off for analysis to make sure all is well. Archie was very behaved but we did take the precaution of muzzling him for the vet and we also made sure he didn't have to go into the reception with other dogs around so we could keep him calm and focused.

As I type this its 7.30 pm and David is walking him in the cool of the evening. Archie was delighted to see David, and is enjoying his walk no doubt.

So many of our dog are born around these 2 weeks All our yearling pups, Phillip, Chelsey++. Its Barry the Eng Bulldog's birthday today and Archie will be 2 in 5 days time
heleny

Post by heleny »

It was quite hard to keep Archie cool today as he cannot go into the stream until 10 days have passed after his op. However, he did need a walk and so we set off first thing, when it was slightly cooler, into the woods and stuck to shady paths. It allowed him to let off steam, to have some sniffs and some munches of grass and to relax a bit. He did in fact want to go into the water but was persuaded not to.

Later in the day I took him out again - Archie is a clean little dog who would prefer not to soil his pen - and so we went for a toilet break once again into the cool areas of the woods. Once back I showered him in the kennels bathroom, making sure I only wet his top side, as I felt he needed a bit of a cool down. He loved it. He settled back into his pen where the kennel staff had left a wet towel and there it was remarkably cool. Look forward to seeing you on Thursday Archie - fingers always crossed for the right person to be reading this for your happy homing. :crossfingers.gif: :crossfingers.gif:
heleny

Post by heleny »

Archie and I have been sharing our twice weekly walks for a while now. He is always my first walk of the day and my last walk of the same day. Archie is a clean little chap and would rather not soil his space and so he appreciates two walks if I have time. It is always a bit of a chore getting him out of his pen as the first thing he wants to do is pay a visit to the other kennel dogs in the main block and that isn't what I want to do. I just want him out in the woods relaxing, having sniffs and kicking up the soil behind him in typical terrier fashion.

He pays little attention to me his walker but I get the impression he is really quite fond of me. He has started to give me gentle licks when I put his leads on! He likes to keep up a fast pace but has now started to really enjoy the sniffs on our walk and it is nice to see him so much more relaxed. He loves a splash in the river and always has a really long drink.

I often see him sitting quietly near the front of his pen. He is quiet and watchful. I think he would settle easily in the right person's home - :crossfingers.gif: he finds that person soon. love4.gif love4.gif love4.gif