Chase Patterdale DofB 27.03.20 Ottershaw

Dogs that have found their forever home
heleny

Re: Chase Patterdale DofB 27.03.20 Gatwick Kenns

Post by heleny »

Chase and I had another great walk yesterday. He is such an easy dog to walk as he never pulls (not that that would matter as he is so dinky!), he enjoys the occasional sniff whilst otherwise keeping up a good pace, he more often than not walks by your side (hoping for treats I think!) and all in all is excellent company. love4.gif

Because of his incredibly affectionate nature he is a very popular dog to walk especially amongst those who mainly walk the terriers. His greeting when he sees you is huge - sweet little licks, and lots of cuddles. He is a young dog and loves treats so if training were needed he would be easy to train. I find him very good mannered as he does not tend to react to traffic, dogs, nor horses in the woods. woo.gif]

After his walk I left him happily chomping on a little bone (a Thursday treat). I can't wait to walk him again next week unless of course some incredibly lucky person takes him home. woo.gif]
heleny

Post by heleny »

Little Chase and I have enjoyed two amazing walks this week - well the weather has really helped. He was his usual lovely little self - once he knows and trusts you he always shows his adorable side. Yesterday he had a tick on his head (it is the season for those loathsome creatures) and he let me remove it without any fussing at all. Both days we had a ten minute session in the large paddock before and after his walk and it was just lovely to see this dinky little black shape running around, enjoying the freedom with no leads attached and with a yellow ball in his mouth. The mud is at long last drying up and we are all making the most of it.
Chase loves his treats and Thursday is a special day as he has a bone (from the butcher) and a filled hoof (Yuk - but he loves it). Once again I left him chewing on these delicious treats. Just love this little chap! Kiss of love.gif
Mon&Chris

Post by Mon&Chris »

Thanks to Helen, I was lucky to meet handsome Chase today. He’s very happy to be out and about. I can’t wait to walk him again soon!
heleny

Post by heleny »

So glad you both met him - he is such a friendly, affectionate, little super star. Kiss of love.gif
Mon&Chris

Post by Mon&Chris »

After spending a bit of time with Chase last week, we took him out for a proper walk this morning. He was a bit unsure at first, but he became Chris’s best friend as soon as he realised he had sausage. He was a bit nervous at first, but relaxed very soon and we had a lovely walk. We came across two huge horses and little Chase gave them a quick warning grumble to let them know to stay away from us. As soon as they went, he continued on his walk, without looking back. We look forward to spending more time with this cheeky chappy.
IMG_20220426_155216s.jpg

heleny

Post by heleny »

Thank you for posting the photo of Chase and the videos showing him having such a cool walk with you! love4.gif

My little bat-eared, tufty-haired friend came home for part of Monday and we had a great few hours. I love the way he loves travelling by car - he just looks out of the window so interested in all he sees. Once home he settled himself comfortably in his small room (not allowed free range of the house because of my cats - not that I have cat tested Chase but rather I am neurotic about my cats!). love4.gif

He was the perfect visitor - no accidents, no mad rushing around, no noisy barking - just a dear little soul who enjoyed a few hours peace and rest. He is so biddable and likes to please. He will feel chastened by a medium harsh word and a cross look! The right person would enjoy training him as he loves treats. woo.gif]

Our day was punctuated by a couple of shortish walks - Chase does not need to walk miles. He is very interested in sniffs and would happily stay in a dog proofed garden. The rescue requires all potential owners to have six foot fences - I don't think Chase could ever scale a high fence as he is so dinky but his safety has to be paramount as he is such a dear little character. The rescue would also insist on his never being off lead unless in a secure area - once again, not a problem. Chase is happy just to be with you, often walking at your heel. love4.gif

He is incredibly affectionate - be prepared future owner for lots of licky kisses and his little tail never stops wagging once he sees you.
He has nipped in a home but Chase is not a 'bitey' dog. He has presumably been put in compromising situations which have led to an escalation of his anxiety. Until he knows you and trusts you he can be anxious and a bit worried. That soon changes once his trust and love are earned - easily done - just have a pocketful of high value treats! Lovely boy. I can't wait to walk him again. woo.gif]
Mon&Chris

Post by Mon&Chris »

Getting to know Chase is such a pleasure! Today he looked much more confident and walked next to us most of the time. We passed a few dogs and he was perfectly behaved. We got loads of licks from him too, which was fantastic to see.

Mon&Chris

Post by Mon&Chris »

Little Chase was super happy to see me and his tail started wagging straight away. He walked beautifully on the lead, without pulling, and he enjoyed cooling down in the stream as it was quite hot today.

Mon&Chris

Post by Mon&Chris »

Chase went to visit volunteer walker Helen. Here are some beautiful pictures of his stay! love4.gif
IMG-20220517-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20220517-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20220517-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20220517-WA0003.jpg
heleny

Post by heleny »

Thank you Mon and Chris for posting these photos for me.

Chase has become a fairly regular visitor for a few hours every now and then.

These are my observations.

He is a dear, dear little dog. He is clean in the house; he is not noisy - at times you hardly know he is there. He does not display the extreme behaviours of some patterdales - rushing around, nosey, exploring. He is happy just to be with you. Mind you, he is a patterdale and the rescue would prefer that you have experience of this amazing breed were you to be lucky enough to take him home. Like many RR dogs he has had an unsettled past and this leaves its mark. That said, like many RR dogs he learns how to trust and be comfortable in your company.

He can be nervous - so until he really trusts you just be aware of that. Please don't lean over him, don't outstretch you hands toward him, don't fill your house with visitors until he is settled and comfortable with you.

He is biddable and just wants to please. Luckily he is very treat orientated and so would be easy to train further should you wish it.

He is one of the most affectionate little dogs I have ever come across and settles happily with all people once he knows and trusts you.

Give him time to unpack his little pattie suitcase. He is a little dog and could be easily spooked. Once he knows you this does not happen. He trusts you.
All dogs have teeth and all dogs can bite - but Chase is not a 'bitey' dog - please don't put him in situations initially where he is worried and anxious.

The rescue insists that you have a dog proofed garden with a high fence. Chase would not scale a six foot fence but he is fairly athletic and likes to jump!

The rescue requires you to always keep him on lead. That is no problem for this little dog. He is an absolute treasure and it is always important to keep him safe.

The person who adopts Chase would be a very lucky person indeed. He is so loved by his walkers and the kennel staff. He is a dinky,manageable little dog who will just shower you with licky kisses and affection. He would obviously need time to settle because he has been in rescue care for a while. The routines and people of the rescue are all he has known. Be aware of that. Let him settle - he might make a few mistakes initially but you can overcome those because the reward of having this little dog in your life is enormous.

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”