Jack Staffie DofB ?2010 - 8th July 23

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
Jan Case

Re: Jack Staffie DofB ?2012 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Jan Case »

Jack and I had a lovely walk yesterday, he wanted to go into the big paddock but it was occupied, so he stood determinedly by the gate for a while and then chose to walk all the way around the perimeter (presumably trying to psych the other dog into leaving!) until he found some lovely long grass for a roll. You can't help but love Jack, he is such a character!
anne

Post by anne »

Jack has been enjoying long walks with his friend and neighbour, Genie.
geniejackDSCF3968.jpg
and Sully
sullyjack1DSCF3972.jpg

and some mooching around and rolling in the long grass
Jan Case

Post by Jan Case »

Jack enjoyed a lovely walk around and around the grounds today with lots of rolling in the long grass and strolling nonchalantly past the other dogs in their kennel runs whenever he can!! He is a total monkey, but they have got his measure now and just ignore his stroll past!! He does enjoy having his head scratched behind his ear, there is a definite tickly spot there love4.gif
HelenR

Post by HelenR »

Usually when I take Jack out he enjoys pottering around the grounds - he'll always have a good snuffle in all the long grass, have several rolls around in the grass and then he'll stand around in the middle area watching everyone and every dog going past, before leading me back to his kennel. On Sunday however Jack surprised me and the other walkers by happily joining the 'terrier crew' for a walk off-site. He had a great time ambling along at the back of the pack, not just to the end of the lane but all the way along the road and back through the woods! Occasionally when we passed some grass he couldn't resist having a good roll-around but he was so keen to not miss out on anything he would then put in a little run to catch up with his new friends. It was nice to see him out and about!
anne

Post by anne »

Jack has been enjoying some time in the paddock. I have been taking his muzzle off to give him more freedom to explore and play. Today he enjoyed munching the long grass, a quick dip in the paddling pool, some mooching around checking out the smells and playing with the deflated football. Jack can be possessive over some items but I stand back and leave him to get on with whatever he chooses to do and as he does not get fixated on any one thing, he plays for a few minutes then moves on, it has not been a problem.
jack1DSCF4365.jpg
jack2DSCF4367a.jpg
jack3DSCF4370.jpg
anne

Post by anne »

Jack and I spent very happy time playing ball yesterday. love4.gif
anne

Post by anne »

Jack chose to have a quiet mooch yesterday, enjoying having the opportunity to stop and eat the grass. He was very relaxed.
jackDSCF4875.jpg
anne

Post by anne »

It's lovely to watch Jack having the chance to play love4.gif
anne

Post by anne »

Jack has been walking with me, for a couple of weeks now, without his muzzle, around the grounds, down the lane and in the paddock. (I still put on his muzzle if we are heading into the woods or further than the end of the lane) and we have not encountered any problems. Jack is comfortable and respectful around all the kennel dogs. Jack's kennel, with his comfy armchair, is his safe space and it seems he recognizes his fellow kennel mates, some of whom he knows well, and others I am guessing he recognizes by their smell, and does not fear them. However, unknown dogs he meets while out and about are a different matter and he seems to fear them and get very anxious, so he needs support from his human walking companion to manage this and make him feel as safe as possible.
Jack by nature is a very friendly boy, who loves meeting people around the kennel grounds, who he considers friends, (and treat dispensers!) but is more cautious around unknown people out and about.
Jack and I share many cuddles and special moments together because we have built a special bond of trust. This relationship can be achieved just by giving Jack respect, time and patience and is more than worth the effort for the love and trust he gives in return.
This week Jack has charmed us all by managing to wrap himself up in one of his blankets, cosy and warm and sit watching the world go by from the comfort of his armchair. He is a fun, comical, loving little soul. love4.gif
jackDSCF5480.jpg
anne

Post by anne »

Jack must have had double weetabix for breakfast because he was skipping along today. After doing his ablutions he took me to the paddock. He scampered around as happy as happy can be. He played with an old football, and found the hidey hole under the steps and disappeared for a while! He emerged looking very pleased with himself.
jack1DSCF5801.jpg
jack2DSCF5802.jpg
jack3DSCF5800.jpg
Then off we went for a site inspection and a general nose around. Then back to the paddock for more play, cuddles and back massage. Then we were off again exploring. Jack then met with Tommy and Eddie heading out for their walk and decided to join them. We had already been out for a hour which is much longer than usual for Jack so I was skeptical, but he was keen to keep up and not be left behind. He stopped several times for a roll in the grass, and then skipped along to catch up again. We passed three dogs and he was very worried about the first one, even from the other side of the road. I got him moving again and he had a roll to destress. He was so happy walking with his kennel pals. The next two dogs we passed still made him nervous but less so than the first. Jack just needs to know you are there to support him and keep him safe. Again he had a roll on the grass each time, to get rid of the stress and then continued happily along. (he still wears his muzzle off site just in case we encounter an off lead dog as this could be too much for Jack) Heading back, Tommy and Eddie headed for the lane but Jack had other plans and headed down the pavement to where there are wide grass verges. He enjoyed an extended rolling session on the grass. Then he took a route back through the woods. All in all we were out for about 2 hours. Wowsers Jack!
On return to his kennel, Jack had his treats for being such a good boy and I popped on a fleece jumper to keep him warm and snuggly. Next time I passed he was snoring away on his comfy armchair.

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”