Benny Whippet Lurcher DOB 02.08 Barton on Sea

Dogs that have found their forever home
sweetpea

Re: Benny Whippet Lurcher DOB 02.08 Barton on Sea

Post by sweetpea »

Bennys updates always make me smile love4.gif a little more progress with each update ...he reminds me so much of one of my lurchers Victor. ...lovely photos. .. :thanks.gif: 0093.gif :goodjob.gif:
gsdlover

Post by gsdlover »

Great update Kim...so pleased Benny is still doing so well love4.gif
neillysane

Post by neillysane »

Benny with Jessie having a cuddle with Kim on Dartmoor during our September 2018 holiday in Devon and Cornwall.
SAM_2957.JPG
SAM_2956 (2).JPG
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Lovely pics love4.gif
Ruthi

Post by Ruthi »

How is Benny doing? I often think of him!
cohenthestaffy

Post by cohenthestaffy »

It would be wonderful to have an update on Benny, Kim. I hope he's well and enjoying life. I bet he's got a lot of grey on that muzzle now. love4.gif
Wander Woman

Post by Wander Woman »

Benny is 14 and Jessie is 12 now. They are truly in their Golden Years. They both still enjoy their walks and food, and Jess especially is still full of energy - a brave little Staffie with a full heart. We consider ourselves lucky that we’ve had so many years with both her and Ben. They’re our Golden Oldies.

Ben had a full MOT in early 2020, several months after he began acting strangely clingy; I wanted to make sure he wasn’t in any pain. He’s extremely clingy now and doesn’t like being separated from us for any amount of time. Neil began working from home when the pandemic struck, and that hasn’t changed, so Ben hangs out in the office next to him all day. The vet didn’t find anything much wrong with Ben except for arthritis in his back and neck, so he’s on Metacam for the rest of his days now. His eyesight is also fading, but you would never guess this at all, and we still happily let him off-lead when we’re walking in a safe place.

Several days ago, I was startled to see a golf ball sized lump on Ben’s face. It appeared suddenly, and I thought it might be an adder bite, reflecting back on his episode from many years ago. But he didn’t have any other symptoms of this whatsoever. So we waited a day or two, and when it didn’t self-resolve, we took him to the vet – which is traumatic for everyone involved. The vet sedated Ben and confirmed that he had an abscess. So we all went home with some antibiotics. His lump has shrunk significantly; I hope after the complete course that it will be gone for good and no further intervention will be necessary. I am mindful that, due to his age, it is increasingly dangerous to sedate or anesthetize him. I found it incredible that through this, he has not been off his food – he must have been in pain, even if the Metacam helped.

Those who have followed Ben’s posts over the years might be surprised to find that he sleeps with us in our bed now. So does Jess. It’s a bit crowded to say the least. He has his corner at the foot of the bed and for the most part behaves himself all night. This habit came about when his clingy behaviour began. We didn’t have the heart to exclude him, so we did our best to accommodate, as we know he probably doesn’t have much time left with us. We do still joke that he’ll outlive us all. He’s a legendary beast who will never die.

Ben and Jess go everywhere with us and are rarely left alone more than a couple hours at a time. They do cope just fine when they’re alone, and it’s good that Ben has companionship with Jess. He depends on her when we leave them alone, and she’s been a good role model for him. She does bully him from time to time, but our intervention is rarely required.
Ben & Jess Sharing the Sofa Next to Me
Ben & Jess Sharing the Sofa Next to Me
Around 2018 I took both Jess and Ben off of a raw diet and now feed them high quality kibble and tinned tripe. Their tummies had become too sensitive – especially when we were off in our campervan so often, and we were switching foods back and forth. It was just a recipe for disaster. They now have a more stable diet and this also makes it easier for me to tell if one of them is truly unwell. Jess especially has a sensitive digestive system.
Ben Jess & Neil on the Geocaching Trail
Ben Jess & Neil on the Geocaching Trail
Their grey faces may make them look innocent. Don’t be fooled. Haha!
Ben at Hadrian's Wall
Ben at Hadrian's Wall
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Little Benny has a wonderful smile and indeed his life is gives him everything to smile about Thank you both
johnfowle

Post by johnfowle »

Hello Kim and Neil. How wonderful to hear about Benny and, of course, Jess, who I don't remember. Honestly, it was only a couple of days ago that my partner and I spoke of dear Benny and recalled that day when I first took him home to Tunbridge Wells....he jumped out of the car and proceeded to run off down the road. But his recall, even then, was just brilliant, and he came back immediately I called his name. And I remember when I brought him down to you in Barton on Sea and drove down the drive of your neighbour's house instead of yours!!!! She wasn't expecting the delivery of the lovely lad. I'm so pleased he is still with you and looking very distinguished with his grey muzzle. Please give him a special hug from me.
Best wishes to you all.
John (now in New Romney)
Fran

Post by Fran »

Benny is having a great time with you guys - getting lots of love and lots of attention. bighug.gif

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”