Champ Staffie DofB 17.01.20 Frimley

Dogs that have found their forever home
Elliesmum

Re: Champ Staffie DofB 17.01.20 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Elliesmum »

We have to remember that Champ is still a baby, and needs to build confidence. Until then, he shows his nerves by lead grabbing and being a bit needy. Today, instead of trying to do a long walk, I concentrated on ambling with some enrichment to relax him. He was a bit silly coming out of kennels and after a few snatches of the lead, Champ soon settled. I agree with Anne, a firm no to stop him then some praise and fuss for being a good boy works. So, we ambled about and Champ was soon more into sniffing and exploring than concentrating on the lead. After a while, his body language was more relaxed and he was then walking nicely. He can get excited if another dog passes, but again, he's learning how to cope with this. When putting him back into his kennel, Champ will snuggle in and give you a lovely cuddle because he doesn't want you to leave him. I have him a bright see you soon and didn't linger too long as I didn't want him to get too anxious about being left. Champ has a very nice, friendly nature and I will say, even when he is lead grabby, it has never been directed at me and I am confident handling him as he is not bitey at all. Nice young boy who just needs direction bighug.gif
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit and like our Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3303557299925949/
https://www.facebook.com/rescueremediesdogrescue/
geoffcase

Post by geoffcase »

Champ was lovely today. He climbed all over me after I entered his kennel, and then we set off for our walk. He tried to grab the leads a few times, often after passing a noisy dog or being frightened by a passing vehicle, but all easily controlled with a firm ‘NO’ or a finger on the nose.
He found a stick, and carried this, or a treat, all the way home. Champ is a fun, inquisitive and energetic young boy who will make a great pet/companion.
Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum »

Champ is excited to see me now and I get a great welcome. When we started our walk yesterday, Champ took longer than usual to calm down, and he held the leads and mouthed for a good ten minutes. He also was mouthing (not hard) my hands this time so we had to have words and I took longer giving him time to settle. Once he did, he stopped the silly behaviour and walked very nicely. In fact, after a bad start, Champ walked the best he has done with me before and was walking by my side on a loose lead for a long period. Back in his kennel, all this boy wants is love and not to be left. He is such a baby and his lead holding is just nerves and he doesn't know what else to do. His nature is very sweet and loving. I'm sure, with more time, he will improve and in a calm home environment, with the right person, this behaviour would be less evident.
Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum »

Today's walk wasn't so good I'm afraid. Champ couldn't control his grabbing and excitement and my usual tactics with him didn't seem to work this time. I'm sad to say I cut his walk short this time as nobody was winning today and it wasn't sensible to continue. Tomorrow's another day.
RosC

Post by RosC »

Champ was very well behaved on his walk yesterday and there was not one lead grab. Such a good boy and so much better now than a couple if weeks ago, he really seems to have settled himself down.
We walked with Cody following along behind for the first half of the walk and then we carried on over the common alone. Waiting for people, other dogs etc to pass was no worry for Champ who just waited patiently.
Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum »

This is great news Ros woo.gif] James was going to try running with him yesterday, can't wait to hear how he got on.
bridgeford

Post by bridgeford »

I walked Champ for the first time on Thursday. He is such a sweet dog, very, very affectionate and so excited to meet me. Being an exuberant youngster we had a few silly little lead grabbing episodes but a couple of firm 'NO's, soon calmed him down. Once we got going we had a lovely walk. Champ is interested in everything and such a happy little lad, I'm sure he will make a wonderful pet. I can't wait to see him again next week Kiss of love.gif
katiediane121

Post by katiediane121 »

Champ had a nice long walk with Hugo today thumbs.gif he seemed to be more relaxed when he was in front and that was no problem for Hugo who was happy to potter behind, good as gold. He had a lead grabbing moment in the carpark going out (we tried him without chains as he’d been doing so well with Ros recently) but he must just have a thing for material leads ? As we swiftly swapped back to chain leads and he was good as gold. We passed multiple dogs when out and Champ was happy to walk past without any issues or reactions. Both boys had a paddle and drink in the stream, completely not bothered by eachother being there. He found a stick in the woods coming back to kennels which he LOVED and was bouncing around playing with it/carrying it but it was just pure happy play and there was once again no lead grabbing. Stunning lad ❤️
DC183674-E91E-41D8-BE86-97B6C0C48067.jpeg
EmmaNicole

Post by EmmaNicole »

I have been eager to get to know champ better for a few weeks now as I walk his neighbour Benji and Champ always seemed so sad that it wasn't him I was coming to take out so yesterday I took the opportunity to have my first walk with him and wow what a lovely, gentle sweet boy he is. Champ welcomed me into his kennel like a long lost relative and snuggled straight into me for a cuddle whilst I sorted his leads out. Champ can be a little lead grabby so as a precaution we use chain leads, however, yesterday Champ was the perfect gentleman from the off. We were quickly on our way and had a lovely walk no pulling, no lead grabs just lots of nice sniffing and some good old back rolling in the grass. Champ listened really well to everything asked of him on our walk he dutifully changed direction when asked, he came to heal immediately when he started to pull a little and in return when he indicated to me that it might be time for a a little cuddle I was very happy to oblige.

Champ is a super handsome champ with rather unusual but beautiful markings and he is very sweet natured. Once we were back at base Champ slowed his pace trying to delay his inevitable return to his kennel but he was very good about it. He snuggled in again for one last cuddle and it is clear to see that this boy is desperate for love and will make a lovely cuddly and fun addition to any home. This boy is definitely going to be on my list again as he is just so adorable love4.gif love4.gif Kiss of love.gif
geoffcase

Post by geoffcase »

I walked Champ again yesterday. I got the normal affectionate greeting when I entered his kennel, and after a cuddle we set off on our walk. As it was so muddy and wet, I decided we would go down the lane. Early on Champ found a tennis ball - much excitement. He was very happy, throwing it about and racing to pick it up again. He kept dropping it at my feet, so I could kick it away, but he is a fantastic goalkeeper. We had a lovely walk, but I realised he would just love a run and play in the paddock. Unfortunately all the paddocks were busy, and I ran out of time. Next time we will start in the paddock!!!!!! love4.gif

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”