Bella Staffie DofB 09.17 North Wales

Dogs that have found their forever home
xxlynne

Bella Staffie DofB 09.17 North Wales

Post by xxlynne »

Current Status: Homed
bella1DSC09082%20-%20Copy.jpg
Bella's Story: Bella has been moving through homes: We heard of her having been homed by a lady who saw her on free-ads and Bella was bought in with her Rottie, Chihuahua, Staffie and cats and did not cope! She was bought into our safety, Rescue Remedies offered a Rescue place saving her life. Bella is now neutered, chipped, and fully vaccinated. Bella is in boarding kennels near Gatwick and was in foster as an only dog for 5 weeks whilst awaiting her new family.

If you are interested in rehoming one of our dogs, please complete our ONLINE HOMING QUESTIONNAIRE. It is always the first step in our rehoming process. Upon application, you must be ready to take in your new dog within seven days. For more detailed information, please see our Homing Process.

Please support our work and help our long stay dogs: Our minimum adoption donation is £175. This supports our continuing rescue work and is non-refundable. We exist solely due to the goodwill and donations of our supporters and volunteers. Our dogs need supportive families who will offer them patience, time and tolerance whilst they settle in their new homes. Our Rescue offers all our dogs back-up for life.

Please note: Dog laws have changed, with zero public tolerance and prejudice against bull breeds and terriers. Our Rescue asks new owners to keep their dog on a lead in public spaces and manage and support its encounters with new dogs and people, so as not to place the dog's life at risk. Destruction and Control Orders are commonplace nowadays.
bella2DSC09080.jpg
bella3DSC09076.jpg
Bella's progress through our Rescue is below.
We work with our dogs, who often reveal a different picture and positive skills as they build trust.
Original Referral information: We had an urgent call as Bella had been bought into her new home with the huge ask that she settle with 3 dogs and cats. We offered to take her in as an emergency

Bella came into our Rescue just before Christmas on the 15th December
Froggie757

Re: Bella Staffie DofB 09.17 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Froggie757 »

Bella is a little sweetie! Greeted me very well in her kennels yesterday when she met me for the first time, a little bouncy but then she was happy to see the leads and to be getting out. Easy to harness (allowing for lots of wiggles) and very happy to jump into the crate in the back of the car for a trip to the vet. She was absolutely quiet and calm in the crate and again pleased to see me when I went to let her out. Perfectly calm at the vet, welcoming any and all attention from the staff there. I think this girl is going to be popular with the walkers whilst she is in RR care but let's hope her stay is a short one. :dog-115.gif:
Sarahk

Post by Sarahk »

Lovely to meet sweet Bella today love4.gif
DSC09085.JPG
Welcome sweet Bella, hoping your stay is a brief one xxx
Heart fill with love.gif]
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
Sarahk

Post by Sarahk »

DSC09079.JPG
DSC09081.JPG
DSC09082.JPG
DSC09083.JPG
:D
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
D-Fen

Re: Bella Staffie DofB 09.17 Buntingford Herts

Post by D-Fen »

Yesterday my friend drove me down to Gatwick to collect a " yet to be determined dog " for foster, we were introduced to Bella & Bella is exactly her name. Beautiful.

Initially meeting Bella she was very strong on the lead, but once we had walked her out of the car park away from familiar people and sounds she eased up, even more so when we gave her an extra metre of lead to work with.

Bella settled down in the car for the journey home very quickly opting to snooze for the most part with the occasional excitable fidget.

Once home we let Bella off her harness in the garden where she walked the perimeter before doing what a dog's got to do, I then let her into the house where she immediately spotted the bed & toys that had been prepped, grabbed a tennis ball and ran back out before we'd had a chance to go inside, game of fetch it was then, this was where we discovered that Bella is ridiculously fast and quite clumsy when it comes to stopping.

After some chill time I took Bella to the park early evening on a retractable lead which she loved. After dinner Bella met my couch, realizing the covered section was for her, she hopped up, had a roll and promptly fell asleep. I get the feeling a couch is something Bella has missed a lot.

So far Bella has been the perfect house guest and I cannot see her waiting for a forever home all that long.

I will post some better pictures & a more concise update of Bella's needs in a couple of days once she has had the chance to decompress.
imageedit_7_5985839374.jpg
imageedit_5_9329548557.jpg
imageedit_3_9412659649.jpg
imageedit_9_7637573477.jpg
imageedit_1_9546759670.jpg
D-Fen

Post by D-Fen »

Bella has been in foster with me for 3 days now. Bella is a beautiful 2 year old long legged Staffie-X (I'm guessing half Whippet) with a short golden velvet coat and lots of puppy energy to burn.

Bella is very much a people dog who loves interacting with her humans whether this be playing fetch, tuggy or simply curling up on your lap for a cuddle & nap. Bella is very sweet, affectionate & gentle with people, gives great face washes and will take treats very politely.

Bella is at her most energetic (unsurprisingly) first thing, after her breakfast she will happily sit in her basket vigorously chewing a toy for 30mins, she will then put the toy on your leg wanting to play, which for the most part has been 'please hold this whilst I rag the other end' (a little inconvenient when you're trying to eat your breakfast). After her morning walk Bella will calm down but will still want to play however she is mature enough to give you your space to work & will go to her basket to either chew or nap.

Bella is very inquisitive girl and likes to go up on her hind legs to snoop on the work surfaces so all items that are there should be pushed back out of paws reach, this also applies to the cooker (thankfully I don't use the front hobs), she will get down with a simple 'Bella off!' command. Bella is a very intelligent girl and has figured out the latch on my back door in under 24hrs & can now let herself back in once she's been let out to the toilet.

Bella loves to chew, whether it's tennis balls, kongs or rope toys. A daily job with Bella in your home will be to remove 100's of tiny pieces of rubber from her basket from kongs & rubber balls. Bella is not keen on nylon toys but adores all sorts of balls particularly tennis balls which she will demand the most attention from you with until she decides to destroy them. A large indestructiball will keep Bella amused for hours though I'll not recommend she be allowed to have it in the house. Bella has not chewed anything in the house that she is not supposed to, she has stuck to the dog toys & anything that has specifically been given to her.

House Training - Bella is house trained, there have been no accidents. She is happy to be let out at regular intervals, if she absolutely has to go then she'll get your attention then sit awkwardly at the door.

Night Time - Bella will sleep through the night no problems, her preference is to sleep in the bed with you. Bella's first night with me was spent sleeping on her bed & then on mine, her second night she jumped on my bed then forced herself beneath the duvet, the third night she she cheekily jumped on to my bed, pawed back the duvet, climbed in and waited for me to join her.

Home Alone - Bella has only been left home alone for 5 separate periods of 15mins, I have returned to find her either waiting at the back door or standing in her basket. The first 2 times she was left she did pull the kibble bags off the counter (my bad for thinking they were out of reach). Bella will be left home alone for approx 1hr later this week.

Walking - Bella is energetic on the lead and will criss-cross in front of you as she checks things out, a 90min yomp across the fields will not wear Bella out. Bella is not bothered by cars, she will try to greet everyone that passes closely by gently jumping playfully towards them, she will also try to look through the windows of parked cars.

Other Dogs - Bella is dog reactive, the moment she spots another dog she will pull towards it, then start jumping and barking at it the closer the dog gets, this is easier to deal with on a short lead by avoidance and reassurance whilst walking straight ahead, once the dog has passed Bella will turn around and walk with you again although notably stronger on the lead, she will ease up after a few minutes. This reactiveness does intensify with each subsequent encounter on the walk. I am currently looking into some alternative methods of distraction to use before Bella decides to jump and bark. I do believe Bella's reaction to other dogs is nerves & anxiety rather than anything malicious, this behaviour was not on display when I walked her at the kennels.

Bella is a fantastic dog, very clean & polite in the home and is exploring new boundaries each day as her confidence grows. She needs someone patient who can help burn her puppy energy who is also confident behind the lead & able to guide her positively through life.

imageedit_1_5557786457.jpg

imageedit_14_2490701933.jpg

imageedit_3_2022384311.jpg

imageedit_5_7439866922.jpg

imageedit_8_7052134160.jpg

imageedit_10_8964788842.jpg

imageedit_12_6391378415.jpg

imageedit_16_6919941230.jpg
Last edited by D-Fen on Wed 01 Jan 2020 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Lovely update and photos. .... Kiss of love.gif
She looks like a bull lurcher ...the best kind bighug.gif Kiss of love.gif
D-Fen

Post by D-Fen »

A quiet night on the sofa with Bella Staffie (yes I got the full head treatment)
D-Fen

Re: Bella Staffie DofB 09.17 Buntingford Herts Foster

Post by D-Fen »

The beautiful Bella has been in foster with me for just over a week now and the past couple days she seems to have become a little less anxious around the home and is starting to come out of her shell a little bit more as well as putting a little more trust in me.

Bella made me proud last week when she was left home alone for an hour with a stuffed kong and the radio for company, she dropped the kong the second the door was closed but was curled quietly in her basket upon my return with nothing being touched that shouldn't have been. I am hoping that this will be repeated later this week as she will be left for several hours which will be a real test for Bella.

Bella went to the vet today to have her spay stitches removed and 2nd vaccination, she was well behaved but fidgety for the vet which I put down to a combination of anxiety & excitement, she also had a few words to say to the other dogs in the waiting room as we left.

Bella is a work in progress while out on her walks when she sees other dogs. I have now tried her on a different lead which does seem to be having a positive effect on Bella for the first third of her walk, I am now hoping that this can be extended for the entirety of her walk with continued positive reassurance.

I have discovered that Bella knows paw & other paw and I'm now teaching her to go to her basket whilst I'm cooking which she seems to be picking up. She also seems to be picking up 'Bella ham!' quite quickly when it comes to getting Bella to drop something (thanks Luisa).

Bella loves to interact with you when it comes to her toys and would rather you toss them for her to try and catch (doesn't matter what it is) than be simply handed them and left to get on with it, Bella loves to chew but can get bored of her toys quite quickly, for this reason I have kept a separate stash of toys and rotate one in for a few hours each day just to keep her interest. Bella has a particular weakness for tennis balls which she loves for you to throw so she can chase or jump up to catch them. Bella also loves to rag tug toys with you, this is not a game I would encourage on a regular basis as Bella does not understand when it's over.

Bella is a fantastic dog who is very sweet with the people she meets. Bella is very clean in the home, she can get needy for attention when she wants to play and can jump up playfully when she's over excited.

Bella will happily snooze quietly on the sofa with you during the evening and if she's in the mood will tuck up under your arm for cuddles, trust me Bella gives fantastic cuddles as she tucks her small body between her gangly legs whilst under your arm, also wonderful is when she hugs you from the front as she pushes her barrel chest into yours and puts her paws on your shoulders as she gives you a face wash. In short Bella relaxes when you relax. I have no doubt that when Bella fully trusts you she will become an absolute cuddle monster and oversized lap dog.

Bella needs a quiet home with someone patient that can give her all the time she needs to help her find her way and burn her endless puppy energy whilst also being confident behind the lead.

MODERATORS:- Please feel free to use my pics/clips to promote Bella for adoption. If you'd like the HQ versions message me here or via email/FB Messenger.

imageedit_8_4129663007.jpg

imageedit_14_4653077521.jpg

imageedit_1_9907908654.jpg

imageedit_3_6619551067.jpg

imageedit_5_7153130330.jpg

imageedit_10_4777644611.jpg

imageedit_12_4602650339.jpg

imageedit_16_7750777193.jpg

imageedit_1_5557466823.jpg
D-Fen

Re: Bella Staffie DofB 09.17 Buntingford Herts Foster

Post by D-Fen »

After two weeks in foster I am slowly starting to figure out the formula that is the enigma of the beautiful Bella Staffie. As Bella is starting to settle in to the home and come out of her shell a little each day she is showing me her needs & the support that she requires.

Bella is a beautiful 2yr old Staffie-X sighthound or Bull Lurcher with lots of puppy energy to burn. She loves long walks accross the fields on a retractable lead which allows her to trot at her own pace checking the vegetation for scents.

Bella loves playing with her toys, she will either vigorously chew them to work off anxiety or bring them to you to be tossed or tugged. She has also discovered that she can work off some puppy energy by scrabbling & scooting the larger nylon toys accross the hard kitchen floor or around in her basket. A separate stash of toys that are rotated in & out daily will keep Bella from getting bored and are also a great training aid for Bella.

Bella has been left home alone now for a single period of 3hrs30min with no issues, she was left after a 20min walk with a new toy stuffed with treats and the radio on. She was asleep in her basket upon my return and very excited to see me jumping up for fuss and licks.

I have had several visitors to the house this past week and Bella has greeted them all very politely at the door with a wagging tail and two legged leans asking for a head stoke, she then wanted to play bringing toys to them to be thrown or tugged and loved all the fuss that was given to her.

Bella is an anxious girl, from what I have observed this anxiety for the most part is caused by strange, unfamiliar & sudden noises. This can be difficult to deal with when out in public as you have no control over the sounds or behaviour of other people or their dogs. I have been talking constantly offering reassurance to Bella whilst out in public (much to the amusement of others) which does seem to help her some of the time. Once away from the noises of the street Bella relaxes very quickly and becomes so easy to walk. When relaxed with no distractions Bella will quite happily walk to heel on a short lead.

Bella would love a quiet home with no cats in a rural area or quiet town, with someone that is patient and understanding of her needs who can offer support when she needs it the most. Bella will need someone who is confident and vigilant behind the lead that can take her for long walks (she needs at least x1 1hr walk per day) preferably in a quiet low dog density area. Bella is still a pup and has so much more to learn and give which she is eager to do. Chilling out on a sofa with Bella tucked under your arm or curled in your lap is one of the best feelings ever.

imageedit_1_9369349375.jpg

imageedit_9_8484711601.jpg

imageedit_11_9032596542.jpg

imageedit_13_3960586563.jpg

imageedit_15_3620546537.jpg

imageedit_7_9083468337.jpg

imageedit_5_7508878919.jpg

imageedit_3_9982391155.jpg

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”