Hamish Staffie DofB ?2010 - 24.05.19

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
GeorgieT

Re: Hamish Staffie DofB ?2010 Guildford Kenns

Post by GeorgieT »

So Friday was meant to be Hamish’s Big Day Out To Winkworth with me...but it did not go quite to plan!

As always little Hammy Ham-bone was delighted to see someone was taking him out and greeted me with a double-time tail. He very obviously ADORES human company and after no walk on Thursday due to the kennels being closed was raring to get going. He’d had a go at his bedding I noticed (lots of fluff everywhere) but I think that’s because he’s a boy that needs stimulation and activity. He is very intelligent and full of energy.

I took him out for a little pootle and a wee first and then to the car. He’s very happy to get into the car and obviously associates it with being lots of fun. In fact he jumped into the boot first (a tiny enclosed porthole of a thing) so has no fear of getting into a vehicle. However he’s not that happy being restrained by a doggy seatbelt in the back as he just wants to get up front with you. Sadly I couldn’t put him in the front as I have airbags and the risk of him jumping on the dash was a little high. I think either someone in the back with him to keep him calm or using a crate would be the way forward. As it was he got himself in a rather over-excited pickle and was half strangling himself and rotating himself in his harness and getting into all sorts of a mess!

I decided that maybe a trip to the paddock was best at that point to get rid of some excess energy before trying again. However when we went back for the second attempt there were a couple of dogs in the car park and he got a little agitated again so I thought best not to hype him up further.

As the car was a no-go, I ended up taking him out for the day walking from the kennels. Not the day I had planned (and he was definitely disappointed not to be going somewhere exciting in the car poor little man) but a good alternative. I think it was the right decision as once we set off he did have rather explosive diarrhoea which I think was a result of the excitement as he normally doesn’t have a runny tummy.

We were out for about 4.5hrs in the sun, gently padding around Shalford and Bramley and then we met up with my partner’s Mum for a coffee and cake at the Snooty Fox. He reacted well to meeting a new person and was brilliant at the cafe.

Anyone who knows the Snooty Fox will know it can get busy outside with dogs, either passing by or at other tables. We found a table furthest away from the nearest other dog and other than periodic attempts to shout hello or crawl on his belly towards them and make friends from a distance he settled well. He can be easily distracted by being asked to sit or just by having a little chat with him.

He did try and get on the table a few times (he apparently is fascinated by carrot cake!) but again is easily distracted and calmed.

We met three different people during the day who asked for a cuddle with him as they thought he was just gorgeous. So I did lots of directing them towards his page on the RR website - fingers crossed for some potential adoption enquiries!

He really is an awesome dog. He has a lot of youthful exuberance, is alert and loves getting out and about, and could run after a ball for hours. With regard to playing, he happily retrieves and drops the ball for you and doesn’t exhibit any sort of proprietorial behaviour over it which makes me think he would be great for a family with kids who could devote lots of time playing with him and making him part of family activity.

I would note that he is the clumsiest dog I’ve ever met! On our day out, he managed to fall and face plant into a hole at full speed playing in the paddock, and clonked his head twice on a roadside bollard when he was too busy looking the other way! He’s in a constant happy state about being out and about that I think he just forgets to look where he’s going 🤣

I’m hoping to try another day out with him soon using a crate and my partner’s bigger car so, if he doesn’t get snapped up before then, I will report back 😊
GeorgieT

Post by GeorgieT »

Another walk with Hamish...and another chance to spam his fan page! :smiley-dance017.gif:

Honestly I have no idea why this handsome little man hasn’t been homed yet. He really is the full package - always absolutely delighted to see you, full of energy and spark, and loves a cuddle. He really is the best walking partner.

He was so good today. Had a chat to all the other dogs as we were leaving the kennels but after that didn’t utter a peep, other than when we nearly caught up to another RR walker. He was giving little barks of joy and wagging his tail like the clappers as if to say ‘I know that dog! Can we go play?!’ He doesn’t chat to other non-RR dogs so I genuinely think it’s just a little spark of familiarity that he’s expressing.

We went on a 5.5km hike along the river/canal and into town then back up through Peasmarsh and the woods. He was still full of energy so we had a little play in the paddock afterwards...and lots and lots of cuddles.

Oh this dog breaks my heart! Love him so much and really hope he finds a lovely family soon. He deserves so much more than kennel life 😘

59C4AA67-43CF-4379-A4B2-B3BF2215D30C.jpeg
meganbingley

Post by meganbingley »

Today I had the pleasure of walking the wonderful Hamish.

Contrary to his initially excited demeanour, he is the most gentle and gorgeous boy I've walked in a while! He was quite happy trotting long next to me at a steady pace, very rarely did he pull on the lead. I've been told that he can be quite vocal around other dogs but I was surprised with how lovely and quiet he was.

Two dogs off the lead ran towards us and I was anticipating Hamish barking at them lots, but I told him to sit and wait and he did so quite happily until the owner came and put the dogs on the lead. I was so impressed with him, he really is such a bundle of joy. After the walk he was incredibly obedient and easy to get back into his kennel, followed by lots of cuddles, attentions and treats.

All in all, it was an absolute pleasure to walk with Hamish today, he has such a brilliant personality and he really would thrive in a forever home of his own. :icon_barking_dog-116.gif:
Shay_1

Post by Shay_1 »

I took handsome Hamish 🐶🐾for a fab forest and river walk today, he was such a happy and excited boy!! He was brilliant when going past other dogs and people, but vocal to begin with it once we were on the path. He has come a long way and is improving better and better each time. His energy levels and smiles makes the walks more interesting and he loves playing with sticks.
Hamish was so smiley and happy to be out. Enjoying the smells and watching the swans! Even had the energy for some run and chase of a toy!! He really is a sweetie, just wanting cuddles and to be with you all the time. Hamish's sweet nature and softness with humans makes walking him and playing games with him so nice. 💖 Hope he finds his forever home soon !! love4.gif
LuluE

Post by LuluE »

Lovely little Hamish! Such a sweetie. At first he was a little unsure of me (understandable as we haven't met before), but still happy to have me in his kennel. We bonded over treats and cuddles, both of which this little hunk adores! Had a great walk, he's so easy on the the lead and very engaging - happy to keep checking in with you. We met lots of other dogs and with some treats as a distraction, he didn't utter a peep at them. He's definitely more interested in his kennel mates out and about, it seems he wants to say 'hi' to them as he knows them! So sweet. We had some paddock time when we got back and this boy loves chasing a ball but equally absolutely loves a cuddle. He's so affectionate and will lean into your legs for a good snuggle. Love him! He is so deserving of a forever home, please consider this little hunk of happiness. :crossfingers.gif:
Heart fill with love.gif]
IMG_9822_opt.jpg
IMG_7617_opt.jpg
mandyandmike

Post by mandyandmike »

Walked wee Hamish for the first time on Sunday, he`s a sweet lad and has a lot of character. He has got a lot to say for himself when getting out (he is sooo excited and happy) but after a while he did quieten with only the occasional barking now and then. We walked with Jo and lovely kennel buddy Tara and Hamish definitely wanted to say hello to her in a friendly way, they walked quite closely together and he seemed smitten! He`s a friendly happy little chap with a nice nature.
Hamish 2.jpg

I tried to get a photo of him looking really cute but somehow ended up with this one - looks like he is singing or laughing! 0002.gif]
Jazz33

Post by Jazz33 »

Hamish is one of my favourite dogs in the kennels, he has great character! I walked him today (2nd time), he was such a good boy, he enjoys his walks and company. He is known for being a little vocal but I have to say honestly he did not bark once during our walk! He's great company out on a walk, he will often look at you to make sure everything's okay. Very patient waiting to cross the road. He's a super little chap that would be a great companion.
FionaM

Re: Hamish Staffie DofB ?2010 Fleet Temp Foster

Post by FionaM »

We had the pleasure of Hamish’s company for 4 days last week to give him a break from kennels. :welcome.gif: He was a delight to have around and it was great to see him gradually relax and get used to life in a home.

Hamish absolutely loves human company and for the first 48 hours didn’t want to let us out of his sight. A bit tricky when Adrian and I weren’t in the same room! He was quite anxious to start with and spent a lot of time on the move, following us about, charging up and down the stairs and generally keeping tabs on us. Hi ya!.gif We gave him lots of reassurance and knew that we just had to be patient and give him time. Sure enough, the turning point came on day 3 when he really started to relax more. He still wanted to be with one of us but would happily lay down and close his eyes and not feel the need to watch us all of the time. He began to stretch out on the sofa and lie on his back which was lovely to see. thumbs.gif
On sofa 1.jpg
On sofa legs up.jpg
Head on knee.jpg
There were a couple of wee accidents indoors in the first 2 days, but I think he was just overwhelmed with everything. :o I started making sure that he went in the garden regularly and there were no further accidents in the last 2 days.

Hamish is very affectionate and loves cuddles and sitting on laps. He also sat on my feet a few times when I was standing. I found that if I sat on the floor he would do a very funny manoeuvre and reverse his bottom into my side or on my lap if he judged it right!
lol.gif

In kennels Hamish does chew up his bedding, but he did not attempt to do this at all during his stay. He loved his soft bed right from the start and also liked laying on the fleecy blanket in the large cage we had set up in the kitchen. At night he slept in his bed next to ours, although he would definitely have preferred to sleep on our bed, or rather on top of us! He did attempt to get on the bed on several occasions during each night, but as soon as I moved him away he settled back in his bed again. We did let him come up for cuddles in the morning though.
In bed asleep.jpg
In cage.jpg
In the house Hamish liked to play tuggy with his rope toy but given half a chance would run off with it so it would turn into a game of chase round the lounge, hall & kitchen! He has such a fun, cheeky character and he made us laugh a lot. He also loves balls (both chewing them and running after them) so we attached him to a long line on one of our walks and threw the ball for him. He happily raced after it and brought it back, dropping it nicely at our feet. :goodjob.gif:
Tuggy.jpg
Hamish also liked rolling around on the floor on his back, making various comical grunting sounds in the process. We gave him a bath and as soon as he was out, he threw himself straight down on the floor and started rolling in ecstasy. He really doesn’t ask for much!
In bath.jpg
I saw that one of the other volunteers that had walked Hamish recently commented that he was the clumsiest dog she had ever met. I have to say that I completely agree! On several occasions, both out on walks and in the house, he walked into or bashed himself on all manner of things, usually because he was focused on us instead of where he was going. :doh.gif: He is just so enthusiastic about life and literally throws himself into everything! woo.gif]

Hamish is very food focused so did jump up at the work surfaces in the kitchen and wanted to investigate every cupboard or drawer that was opened and also the fridge and freezer! However, he is motivated by treats and is a quick learner so I have no doubt that consistent training would improve this. Hamish learnt that he had to sit whilst I prepared his food and before I put his bowl down. He will also readily give you his paw if you ask. There are no issues at all with Hamish and ownership of his food, and he happily let me remove his bowl whilst he was eating. angel13.gif]
giving_paw.jpg
Hamish travelled well in the car when I sat next to him on the back seat. He laid down and didn’t even attempt to look out of the window. I’m not sure that he would have been so relaxed on his own in the back, so probably needs supervision without a crate.
In car.jpg
When walked from the kennels, Hamish can be quite talkative. I found Hamish to be quiet on walks if we didn’t encounter any dogs. He does get excited when he sees other dogs and he wants to say hello to them. The noise he makes then is not easy to describe! It is a mixture of a hoarse bark, with some grunts and squeaks thrown in for good measure. One dog owner that we met commented that he sounded as though he needed some honey & lemon to sooth his throat! lol.gif The video below was taken just after we had been overtaken by two dogs on leads. They didn’t stop to say hello and Hamish was most put out!

On our walks Hamish greeted various breeds of dog very nicely, with his tail going round in a big circle! There was only one occasion when he wasn’t happy with the unwelcome attention of an off-lead cocker spaniel that came charging up at speed and then wouldn’t leave Hamish alone. The owner was a fair distance away and had absolutely no control of his dog. Hamish quite understandably growled and snapped at the dog, which fortunately then decided not to hang around and ran back to his owner.

Hamish is very easy to walk and doesn’t pull at all on the lead. He quite often looks back to check everything is ok. He likes to sniff but has a very low prey drive which did surprise me. There were a few occasions when a squirrel ran in front of us, but Hamish barely even looked up. He wasn’t interested in birds either, even if they were rustling around in leaves close by. On one walk we encountered 2 bulls in a field by the fence. He stopped to look at them but didn’t make a noise and then happily moved on. We also walked by several horses that were being ridden and he completely ignored them. I don’t know how he would react to cats as we didn’t come across any.
With bulls.jpg
I hope that my summary of Hamish’s stay has shown what a fun-loving, affectionate and totally gorgeous boy he is. He has so much love to give and really needs to find his forever home soon. Please consider him to make your family complete. :panting_dog-119.gif: :please.gif: Kiss of love.gif
Sitting in kitchen.jpg
Rolling

Ball chasing

Giving a paw

Excited walking
Jojokate

Post by Jojokate »

love4.gif great update Fiona. Really shows what a great boy Hamish is . Hope he find his forever home soon
Beccastj

Post by Beccastj »

hamish-tile.jpg
Hamish spent Saturday at home with me and the family. He really does appreciate a busy household. He would plonk himself and his ball down next to anyone, who looked like a sucker, and wait until they would throw it up in the air for him, so he could demonstrate his excellent ball skills. Not really recommended in the kitchen, but he was pretty skilful. Hamish is very clever- he seems quick to learn. He was also well trained. He could have played ball all day. He would love a garden where he could chase a ball around. But he's not demanding or rude - no forcing himself on you - he just waits patiently. My daughter, who is a cat person, not a dog person, spent hours playing with Hamish and is convinced Hamish will be homed quickly as he is so adorable.
Last edited by Beccastj on Sun 12 May 2019 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”