Bella Staffie DofB 09.17 Gatwick Kenns

D-Fen

Re: Bella Staffie DofB 09.17 Buntingford Herts Foster

Post by D-Fen »

After two weeks in foster I am slowly starting to figure out the formula that is the enigma of the beautiful Bella Staffie. As Bella is starting to settle in to the home and come out of her shell a little each day she is showing me her needs & the support that she requires.

Bella is a beautiful 2yr old Staffie-X sighthound or Bull Lurcher with lots of puppy energy to burn. She loves long walks accross the fields on a retractable lead which allows her to trot at her own pace checking the vegetation for scents.

Bella loves playing with her toys, she will either vigorously chew them to work off anxiety or bring them to you to be tossed or tugged. She has also discovered that she can work off some puppy energy by scrabbling & scooting the larger nylon toys accross the hard kitchen floor or around in her basket. A separate stash of toys that are rotated in & out daily will keep Bella from getting bored and are also a great training aid for Bella.

Bella has been left home alone now for a single period of 3hrs30min with no issues, she was left after a 20min walk with a new toy stuffed with treats and the radio on. She was asleep in her basket upon my return and very excited to see me jumping up for fuss and licks.

I have had several visitors to the house this past week and Bella has greeted them all very politely at the door with a wagging tail and two legged leans asking for a head stoke, she then wanted to play bringing toys to them to be thrown or tugged and loved all the fuss that was given to her.

Bella is an anxious girl, from what I have observed this anxiety for the most part is caused by strange, unfamiliar & sudden noises. This can be difficult to deal with when out in public as you have no control over the sounds or behaviour of other people or their dogs. I have been talking constantly offering reassurance to Bella whilst out in public (much to the amusement of others) which does seem to help her some of the time. Once away from the noises of the street Bella relaxes very quickly and becomes so easy to walk. When relaxed with no distractions Bella will quite happily walk to heel on a short lead.

Bella would love a quiet home with no cats in a rural area or quiet town, with someone that is patient and understanding of her needs who can offer support when she needs it the most. Bella will need someone who is confident and vigilant behind the lead that can take her for long walks (she needs at least x1 1hr walk per day) preferably in a quiet low dog density area. Bella is still a pup and has so much more to learn and give which she is eager to do. Chilling out on a sofa with Bella tucked under your arm or curled in your lap is one of the best feelings ever.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Attachments
imageedit_1_9369349375.jpg
imageedit_9_8484711601.jpg
imageedit_11_9032596542.jpg
imageedit_13_3960586563.jpg
imageedit_15_3620546537.jpg
imageedit_7_9083468337.jpg
imageedit_5_7508878919.jpg
imageedit_3_9982391155.jpg

SarahW

Post by SarahW »

What a brilliant update. So helpful for potential homers to be able to read so much about Bella! Wonderful videos. Thanks D-fen!! thumbs.gif
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form

D-Fen

Post by D-Fen »

Bella is a beautiful, very sweet and highly intelligent 2yr old Staffie-X, she is an active girl with lots of puppy energy to burn. She is at her happiest in the home when her mind is occupied on a task & outside on walks across the fields on a retractable lead.

Keeping Bella occupied in the home can be accomplished by simply stuffing treats into a toy so she has to figure out to how to retrieve them. A small indestructiball will send Bella on a mission to prove the manufacturer's advertising is false and a large indestructiball in the garden will keep Bella amused for hours as she tries to figure out what to do with it. However you may choose to keep Bella occupied she is always ready to go.

Bella can be quite devious (as I said she's very intelligent) when it comes to getting your attention to interact with her, she will put toys into cupboards & the fridge as you're using them knowing full well that you will have to pick the toy up before closing the door, if you then choose to throw the toy for her then Bella has just conned you, if you choose not to play her game and put the toy in your pocket Bella will paw the toy out of your pocket or just stick her snout in and take it.

I have spent most of this week observing Bella's behaviour whilst out in public figuring out the causes of her anxieties, they mostly seem to stem from sudden and unusual noises, lack of a clear field of forward vision and other dogs. Now knowing these causes good lead management, avoidance and positive reassurance have led to improved walks both for Bella & myself. Once out of town with minimal distractions Bella relaxes and becomes an absolute pleasure to walk.

Bella had a follow up with the vet today and was very well behaved if a little fidgety (She would not sit still on the scales). She is slowly starting to regain weight and will hopefully be back at her optimum bodyweight within 3-4 weeks.

Bella would love a quiet home with no cats in a quiet area with someone who is patient and understanding of her needs. She needs someone confident behind the lead who can take her for long walks in preferably quiet low dog density areas, Bella needs to be walked for at least 1hr a day. If there are any hikers out there looking for a companion Bella would love to meet you.

You always know when Bella has had a good day as she will jump on the sofa for a cuddle with you and fall asleep.

HOMING TEAM/MODERATORS - Please feel free to use my pics/clips to promote Bella for adoption. Contact me if you'd like the hi-res versions.

Attachments
imageedit_1_9717924177.jpg
imageedit_3_4053800898.jpg
imageedit_5_8646834483.jpg
imageedit_1_5547992311.jpg
imageedit_9_5369595877.jpg
imageedit_7_8263766017.jpg
imageedit_11_9245866151.jpg
imageedit_1_8268542183.jpg

D-Fen

Post by D-Fen »

It's been an interesting week with the beautiful Bella Staffie as we have reached the one month mark since she came into foster with me and the 2nd of the rule of 3 (weeks in this instant) when bringing a new dog into the home seems to have come into effect, with Bella's behaviour changing ever more positively as she's settling into the house and learning my routines.

Bella is now a lot calmer and a lot less anxious around the house, she has learned the times when high energy, demanding of attention Bella is appreciated and when playtime is over as the human needs some quiet time. Bella has also shown that she now respects the boundaries that have been given to her earning my trust when she's out of the room.

In the past week Bella has become a very noticeably different dog to the one that I collected from kennels a month ago, she still has some progress to make but what follows is what you really need to know.

In The Home:- Bella is generally very quiet around the house, the only noise she tends to make is when she's playing with her toys and the occasional barking due to a sudden noise from outside which is over within a couple of minutes. Bella will give you space to eat your meals and not harass you for scraps, she does appreciate being given the plate to lick clean afterwards.

Toys:- Bella loves her toys, her weakness is for balls of any kind, she loves kongs and other black rubber chew toys that have preferably been stuffed with cocktail sausages & meat paste, she also loves tug toys such as ropes which she will only play with so long as you're willing to play tuggy with her. Bella is not keen on chewing nylon toys but she does love to scrabble and scoot them around the kitchen which can get very noisy.

Feeding:- Bella will eat anything that you put in front of her, she is currently underweight and being fed little and often for the time being, she has no food aggression and is perfectly happy for you to remove her bowl whilst she's still eating. Her favourite treats are cocktail sausages, meat paste, ham, marrowbone biscuits and gravy bones. She will take treats very politely but can snatch when excited.

House Training:- Bella is 100% house trained, there have been no accidents. She is more than happy to be let out at regular intervals but if she absolutely has to go then she'll get your attention then sit/stand at the door.

Sleeping:- Bella likes to sleep on the bed with you, she will at some point in the night make a nest between the duvet and pillow on the empty side of the bed. Bella will give you at least 8hrs sleep no problems and I will recommend that you wake up before the alarm because if Bella hears it she will jump all over you excited to start the day.

Home Alone:- Bella has now been left home alone in the mornings twice for 3hrs30mins without any problems, she was left with some treat stuffed toys given to her 10mins before leaving and with the radio left on. I have found that it's best to have minimal interaction with Bella prior to leaving so as not to raise her energy level and have her agitated during my absence.

Walking:- With no distractions Bella walks very well on the lead and is more than happy to walk within whatever length of leash that is given. When some thing gets Bella's attention she will pull towards it, when the distraction is far off Bella can be easily refocused with a gentle tug of the lead. The closer the distraction gets the harder Bella will pull towards it, this is best dealt with by avoidance and reassurance.

Other Dogs:- Bella has a strong dislike of other dogs, when she sees/hears one she will start barking, jumping and pulling towards it making herself bigger than she actually is, I do not feel that this is maliciousness but rather fear and Bella trying to protect herself, possibly due to a bad interaction in her past.

Human Interaction:- Bella loves people and will take all of the fuss and strokes that she can get, she has interacted well with guests at home bringing toys to them to be played with. She is more than happy to stop and say hello to strangers in the street and offer herself to them for strokes. Bella can get a little bouncy when happy and likes to come up on her back legs for fuss so you need to be a little cautious with Bella around children although she seems happy to be around them.

Bella is a wonderful dog who has made a lot of progress in a short amount of time. She needs a quiet home in a quiet area with someone who can help burn her puppy energy, who is confident behind the lead and can take her for at least one 1hr walk a day in a low dog density area. Bella has so much to give and is willing to learn whatever you want to teach her.

HOMING TEAM/MODERATORS - Please feel free to use my pics/clips to promote Bella for adoption. Contact me if you'd like the hi-res versions.
Attachments
imageedit_5_8207662858.jpg
imageedit_1_2998388505.jpg
imageedit_15_4809542753.jpg
imageedit_13_2388051721.jpg
imageedit_11_7875211958.jpg
imageedit_9_2746234291.jpg
imageedit_7_9300106774.jpg
imageedit_1_8619831860.jpg
imageedit_3_6847667951.jpg

D-Fen

Post by D-Fen »

It has been a very good 7 days with the beautiful Bella Staffie. Bella has really come into her own around the home and is a lot more confident with working herself around my routines, she knows when it's time to play and when it's time to chill and will always end the day by tucking herself into my lap and falling asleep.

Bella did exceptionally well at the vet last week, permitting a 15min deep ear clean without any fuss at all, something she would never have allowed on her first visit. Bella again proved that she can be left for 3hrs30mins without any issues and I am so proud of her progress this past month.

Bella really does need a quiet environment as she can get quite stressed when out in public as she just seems to overload on stimuli and is unsure of how to cope, I have found that talking to her and offering reassurance whilst out on the lead does help Bella a lot. Once away from the bustle of the street Bella calms down very quickly and enjoys her walks checking the undergrowth and following scents.

Bella truly is a very sweet people dog that just loves to interact with you, whether it is for fuss and strokes or just to play. Fingers crossed that she does not have to wait long her forever home.

Attachments
imageedit_3_4455212934.jpg
imageedit_1_2043381334.jpg
imageedit_5_2726137679.jpg
imageedit_11_3911386882.jpg
imageedit_13_9349197973.jpg
imageedit_7_3544344870.jpg
imageedit_17_4705624743.jpg
imageedit_19_4569029478.jpg
imageedit_9_9553503557.jpg
imageedit_15_5094884164.jpg

anne

Post by anne »

Lovely updates and photos on our beautiful Bella. Fingers crossed for her forever home soon. :crossfingers.gif:

D-Fen

Post by D-Fen »

Just a quick clip of a happy Bella on the back lane after having some afternoon fun in the fields this afternoon. Just love how her ears flap when she's relaxed on her walks as she just trots along.

D-Fen

Re: Bella Staffie DofB 09.17 Gatwick Kenns

Post by D-Fen »

Sadly Bella returned to kennels today. It is safe to say that Bella has proved herself in the home and I hope that she doesn't forget what she's learned now that she's back in kennels, I'm sure that the walkers will continue to give Bella the help and support that she needs whilst out on the lead.

Bella was my first foster and she came a long way in the month that she stayed with me and is truly a fantastic dog who has so much to offer (and then some).

This is the last batch of Bella clip/pics that I have. Good luck Bella, fingers crossed that you don't have to wait too long for your forever home :goodluck.gif:

Attachments
imageedit_9_7243504192.jpg
imageedit_3_9873387831.jpg
imageedit_5_5173252218.jpg
imageedit_7_3528895754.jpg
imageedit_11_4451056946.jpg
imageedit_13_3105000721.jpg
imageedit_1_4669244969.jpg

anne

Post by anne »

It was my pleasure to meet and walk Bella yesterday. She is much smaller than I imagined from the photos and I got a very lovely, friendly, excited, bouncy welcome form her. What a delightful girl. Bella was keen to get out and soon settled down to enjoy her walk. Bella walks enthusiastically, wandering from side to side on the path so as not to miss any interesting smells. I use long leads which gave her the room to wander and sniff where she chose, without the need for her to pull on the leads. She was a good girl when we passed another dog, as we moved out of the way and gave her a comfortable space. Bella does carry nerves and I felt she would benefit from social walks with a calm dog so we will try that next time.
bella1DSCF3184.jpg
bella2DSCF3187.jpg

Jude&Alf

Post by Jude&Alf »

So I fell in love a little bit today Kiss of love.gif What an absolute delight Bella is, I found myself calling her name throughout our walk just so that she'd look back at me with those beautiful eyes, such a pretty girl love4.gif
Lovely, bouncy welcome in her kennel and super quick to exit, Bella was very excited to be off on her walk and a better walking companion I could not have wished for thumbs.gif
The further we walked the more Bella relaxed and so we just kept walking. Bella definitely enjoys being out and about, taking everything in. Some things are obviously new to Bella, but being the great explorer that she is and with someone by her side she is more than happy to enjoy those new experiences positivo1.gif
Mid walk we did have a few gentle cuddles, Bella was a little reserved but I got the feeling that once she knows you Bella will be utterly devoted and your very best friend love4.gif
Someone out there is going to be very lucky to take this beautiful girl home, until then I'm going to make the very most of the fabulous Bella Kiss of love.gif

Return to “Our Superb Staffies (Staffierescue.co.uk)”