Dwight Staffie x 28.08.18 Gatwick Kenns

xxlynne

Dwight Staffie x 28.08.18 Gatwick Kenns

Post by xxlynne »

Current Status: Available
dwight1DSCF4210a.jpg
Dwight's Story: Dwight was found stray and entered a large city pound Rescue. He was homed into an adult home but he is nervous about strangers and intrusive gestures towards him before his has built trust. Dwight is muzzled for walks because a lady bend over him to stroke him and he caught her hand. He lived with a cat and rabbits and was easily managed in the home by his adopted family, including baths, grooming and around food. Rescue Remedies offered a Rescue place saving his life. Dwight's DNA is 50% SBT 12.5% GSD and 25% Akita! Dwight is neutered, chipped, and fully vaccinated. Dwight is in boarding kennels near Gatwick whilst awaiting his new family.

If interested in rehoming one of our dogs, the first step is to complete and submit our ONLINE HOMING QUESTIONNAIRE. We do not discuss dogs without a homing questionnaire submission. You must be ready and sadly due to unprecedented interest, we will only be able to contact you if we have a suitable dog. For more detailed information, please see our Homing Process.

Please support our work and help our long stay dogs: Our minimum adoption donation is £200. This supports our continuing rescue work and is non-refundable. We exist solely due to the goodwill and donations of our supporters and volunteers. Our dogs need supportive families who will offer them patience, time and tolerance whilst they settle in their new homes. Our Rescue offers all our dogs back-up for life.

Please note: Dog laws have changed, with zero public tolerance and prejudice against bull breeds and terriers. Our Rescue asks new owners to keep their dog on a lead in public spaces and manage and support its encounters with new dogs and people, so as not to place the dog's life at risk. Destruction and Control Orders are commonplace nowadays.
dwight2DSCF4194.jpg
dwight3DSCF4195.jpg
dwight4DSCF4206.jpg
dwight5DSCF4202.jpg
dwight6DSCF4209.jpg
Dwight's progress through our Rescue is below.
We work with our dogs, who often reveal a different picture and positive skills as they build trust.
Original Referral information: We were asked to help Dwight as he had had a few incidents with accepting strangers who are intrusive before he has settled. Dwight needs time and 'on his terms ' for him to relax. We will work with him as he obviously settled in his first kennel setting and transitioned well into his new home.

Dwight came into our Rescue on the 9th August 2021
Dwight.jpeg
Dwight1.jpeg
Dwight2.jpeg
Jan Case

Re: Dwight Staffie x 28.08.18 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Jan Case »

Dwight was very stressed when he first arrived. He is now happily taking pieces of meatloaf from my hand. Won't be long before this lovely boy is out strolling about :smiley-chores002.gif:
geoffcase

Post by geoffcase »

I walked Dwight today. After a few treats, I opened his door and let him come out (nervously).
I picked up the trailing lead and off we went. He was very happy to be walking, and after a quick explore of the woods he realised he did not want to be too far from the kennels, so we then did 4 fairly rapid laps of the grounds. A little pulling, but he really enjoyed his walk. He seems to be NON-Reactive to other dogs, actually an easy walk.
anne

Post by anne »

Dwight is settling in and is already a different dog to the very frightened boy I saw when he first came in. Shanae brought him out from his kennel and he was fine meeting me and accepting some fuss. We shared a walk around the grounds and he was an absolute star having his photo taken. He is a very handsome boy and he was so happy to be out, he kept doing delighted little bounces.
dwight7DSCF4188.jpg
geoffcase

Post by geoffcase »

Dwight seems to have settled in. No kennel guarding (for me). I opened his door and he came to stand by me while I clipped on a lead. Off we went for a walk, over the bridge, down the lane and around Smallfield, back via the lanes.
Dwight was beautifully behaved throughout, ignoring passerby, polite but interested in other dogs, and interested in his surroundings.
Dwight generally walked ahead of me, with taught leads but no pulling.
A little bit of pulling when we came across squirrels, but very manageable.
Dwight is a lovely boy.
geoffcase

Post by geoffcase »

Dwight was on good form today. Having accepted some sausage, he sat down, raised a leg, and asked for his tummy to be rubbed. I duly obliged and got my arm licked. We went for a lovely walk and he behaved impeccable. Dwight is a lovely boy, and I enjoy walking him.
geoffcase

Post by geoffcase »

Dwight doesn’t like footbridges!!!!!! Doesn’t matter if it has rails, or not, whether it is concrete or wood, but it is ‘scary’. The higher above the obstacle, the more ‘scary’. Dwight did cross the wooden sleepers in the kennel grounds in his early days, so I will investigate what he will and won’t do. We had a lovely long walk and Dwight was beautifully behaved.
paul.buckle

Post by paul.buckle »

I bumped into Geoff on return from his Tuesday walk with Dwight and took the opportunity to ask about this handsome chap as he didn't seem very keen to see me on the couple of occasions I have said hello from outside his kennel. He's a good-looking boy when he's relaxed but has a very different expression when he's kennel-guarding! I must admit that it was enough to put me off trying to walk him previously but Geoff gave me some tips and convinced me to give him a try.

Yesterday was my first attempt to meet Dwight properly and despite greeting me with the same noise and fuss he had expressed to me before, I persevered and seized the chance to calmly enter his kennel while there was a lull in proceedings. I crouched down and opened my treat bag and he sat nicely in front of me. There was one slight flash of side-teeth (eek!) while I fumbled with the container lid but then that was it... the ice was broken and we were friends.

He's quite a chunky boy (given away by his podgy, staffie-bum wiggle when walking!) but walked very nicely, with just a bit of keenness initially. We wallked my usual circuit and it wasn't until I reached the end of bridle path that I remembered about his thing with bridges. Sure enough, while he jumped up onto it okay, he then hesitated after a couple of steps. I spent a moment thinking about options to encourage him across, but then we just ended up crossing together without issue - fabulous! Better still, there was no hesistation at all with the second bridge at the end of the woodland path on the return leg of my route.

I also walked Dwight today and had the now-expected greeting but that was soon over and we were out. I repeated the same route as the day before and again we didn't have any issue with either of the bridges, so I can only conclude that was just a temporary thing and should no longer be a consideration.

One final observation is that he was quite happy for me to stroke and pat him (head, body and tail) even when he wasn't expecting it.

It just goes to show that first impressions aren't always right.... Dwight is a lovely boy!
paul.buckle

Post by paul.buckle »

Dwight's DNA is 50% SBT 12.5% GSD and 25% Akita!
During our walks, I've been trying to decide what his other 12.5% is!

Labrador?

Not that it's important - after all, there's nothing wrong with being a bit-of-this and a bit-of-that! love4.gif
paul.buckle

Post by paul.buckle »

I walked Dwight for the third time this week yesterday. He clearly recognised me when I approach his kennel as there was no guarding at all - indeed, he gave a few little, excited bounces when he saw me!

I stuck with my usual route, which includes two bridges, and he did not hesitate at all with either. "Problem" solved I would suggest.

Mind you, they were sturdy, concrete ones with metal railings - he may react differently to a bridge like you see in action movies; the rope and plank ones that span a deep canyon where the half the ropes have snapped and many of the boards are missing! Fortunately, I don't think we have any of those near the kennels.

Return to “Our Outstanding Rescue Remedies dogs (Rescueremedies.co.uk)”