Eugene Dogue de Bordeaux DofB 10.19 Dudley W Mids

Dogs that have found their forever home
EmmaNicole

Re: Eugene Dogue de Bordeaux DofB 10.19 Gatwick Kenns

Post by EmmaNicole »

Eugene and I along with my husband had a lovely walk yesterday. Eugene hadn't seen Rob in a while but greeted him like a long lost friend and seemed very happy with our walking companion for the day. Due to heat we took it slow and stopped off at the stream a couple of times so Eugene could cool off. Now being such a big old boy I would have expected Eugene to be well up for the stream but he really wasn't sure at all what to make of the funny wet stuff and instead tiptoed along the shoreline tentatively popping his nose in whilst he worked out whether the water was friend or foe. In the end he decided that the cool fresh water was rather lovely and he had a good old drink.

There were lots of people out for walks yesterday and Eugene got lots of compliments as he is a stunning boy. He was super good with everyone we met and politely stood off the path with me whilst people went past. After our stroll around the woods we headed to the paddock so Eugene could stretch his legs but due to the heat he preferred instead to come in the shade with me and enjoy and good old cuddle. love4.gif

Anne and Zion were milling around on a stroll through the woods and Eugene hopefully headed to the fence and politely play bowed in the hope Zion might want to make friends but unfortunately Zion wasn't up for that and so Eugene trotted off looking slightly sad that he hadn't managed to make a new friend.

All too soon our time with Eugene had to come to an end and it was time to pop him back in his kennel. I couldn't resist one last cuddle in his run though with the promise I'd be back soon love4.gif
Jude&Alf

Post by Jude&Alf »

Eugene was absolutely amazing on our walk yesterday thumbs.gif it was my first walk without his bestie Emma walking with us, however we were joined by Elaine another one of his great friends and we all enjoyed a wonderful walk together.
I'm amazed at how welcomng Eugene is to me in his kennel, yesterday was only the second time I had got him ready for his walk but he's so keen to get going and he's such a big old soppy boy, he had a gentle sniff, decided I'm very much his friend and off setthumbs.gif he also pays little attention to his neighbours, such a plus for a big dog.
So we decided to walk with Staffie Jack again, they met last week and walked so beautifully together and its so great to see 2 dogs just getting on thumbs.gif
It is a little bit like little and large 0002.gif] Eugene is so happy to be out and about, plodding along and having a good old sniff, while Jack follows suit, his little legs running to keep up, I have to say they are quite the sight to see, maybe not the obvious friendship but they seem to enjoy each other's company, which is all that matters love4.gif
geoffcase

Post by geoffcase »

I walked Eugene today. What a total poppet.
He is such a soft, big lump.
Quite excited to be going out for a walk, but no problems putting the leads on. Off we went for a decent walk at a very gentle pace, no reaction to other dogs, a very restrained interest in squirrels!!!!
Very easy walk, absolute pleasure, then to the paddock for a run around. Eugene chased tennis balls in a leisurely fashion, enjoyed petting, and gave me a lick on the chin!! woo.gif]
EmmaNicole

Post by EmmaNicole »

Another day at the kennels and another lovely walk with the loveable lump Eugene. Jude came with us today and we enjoyed a lovely amble round the woods followed by lots of cuddles in the paddock.

I always get the most wonderful welcome in Eugene's kennel and yesterday was no exception with a nice big cuddle and kiss on the cheek. He's a good boy now though and when told all 4 paws are kept firmly on the floor positivo1.gif. Once out all Eugene wants is a slow amble so he can take in the the sights and smells of the hedgerow. We seem to have pretty much conquered his penchant for horse poo and although he still tries for a quick taste, respects the no leave it and moves on with only a little sad look bravo1.gif. In the paddock Eugene favours cuddles with the odd mooch about and very occasional zoomies but these are always very short lived.

Eugene is a gorgeous lump of smooshiness inside and with his calm nature it is easy to forget he is still only a baby at 18 months. Any large breed savvy home would be lucky to gain this handsome addition. Kiss of love.gif

17D78612-379F-463C-83BE-7CA7D09C2B69.jpeg

DB61351B-B8C4-47B8-9448-C19D62F87711.jpeg
Jude&Alf

Re: Eugene Dogue de Bordeaux DofB 10.19 Gatwick Kenn

Post by Jude&Alf »

I am absolutely loving getting to know Eugene, he is big and he is beautiful love4.gif
Always so welcoming in his kennel, so excited to a familiar face but Eugene really listens, he will take direction and chill right back down, so very important for a big boy like Eugene thumbs.gif
So as we returned to kennels yesterday after a wonderful mooch in the shade and a visit to the paddock, Emma decided to see how Eugene would be in a car, I'm going so say he'll be fine but all this big old beautiful boy wanted to do was give out kisses and cuddles Kiss of love.gif
Giving big old kisses
Giving big old kisses
Big cuddles
Big cuddles
Could he be any closer
Could he be any closer
Mrees94

Post by Mrees94 »

We’ve had the pleasure of joining Emma and Eugene’s walks on 5 or 6 occasions over the past few months. Today, Eugene’s favourite walker (Emma) wasn’t around so I ventured into his Kennel and off we went.

I haven’t previously been into Eugene’s kennel and occasionally he can be a bit jumpy with excitement, but he was very polite and kept all four paws on the floor for me bravo1.gif . The walk was hot, so we kept it slow and in the shade. Eugene seemed to really enjoy being out and about, taking his time to sniff and enjoy a few strokes.

Eugene really is a lovely boy, becoming more confident and showing off more of his great personality every time we see him. positivo1.gif
EmmaNicole

Post by EmmaNicole »

wheyhey.gif Matt seeing your post has made my otherwise boring Monday. I'm so glad Eugene is making new friends and showing off what a fab lump he is.

Eugene has come a long way since he came in and continues to impress me with his laid back nature and willingness to action my requests, be it leaving the horse poo on the bridle path which is now does more times than not although the odd taster is still snuck in! or coming in for cuddles and his favourite bum scratches. He is still reluctant to believe my encouragement to try the paddling pool or stream yet though roflmao.gif

Despite his young age Eugene really is a gentleman and very gentle and I so hope his new home arrives soon :crossfingers.gif:
geoffcase

Post by geoffcase »

I took Eugene for a long (slow) walk yesterday. Everything about him shouts ‘Gentleman of Leisure’. Nothing is rushed - he is an absolute joy to walk. We passed an annoying little yappy off-lead terrier that came up close, but after a glance Eugene plodded past. We then passed Shadow who was off to the side of the path. Whilst Shadow was hurling abuse, Eugene totally ignored him.
We stopped to let a horse pass and Eugene pressed against me and wanted a cuddle.
Eugene has definitely become more relaxed over the last few weeks.
Jude&Alf

Re: Eugene Dogue de Bordeaux DofB 10.19 Gatwick

Post by Jude&Alf »

I was lucky enough to enjoy 2 lovely walks with Eugene last week and 100% agree with Geoff he is an absolute gentleman, so relaxed on the lead that you almost forget he is there.
On Friday my plans changed which meant I could enjoy a day of walking, of course Eugene was at the top of my list thumbs.gif
On entering Eugene's kennel I use Emma's technique of a down and sit cue, I'm always amazed at how Eugene goes from bouncing all over the place to big old soppy grin on his face, showing off his best sit, whilst also managing to contain his excitement, it's very impressive thumbs.gif
Eugene is always super keen to get going on his walk, but the moment we exit his kennel his whole body relaxes and he seems to know that for the entirety of his walk it's all about him, there's no pressure and he has all the time in the world to just enjoy and be, hence a walk with Eugene is a very relaxed affair :smiley-chores002.gif: thumbs.gif
On Friday we were joined by Charlie, who I think was rather impressed with Eugene, he was more than happy to have a new friend join us for a walk and I was more than happy to show how far this amazing boy has come since his arrival love4.gif
Whilst on a walk I do tend to let Eugene go wherever he wants, it's his walk after all, I let him take the lead and it's always extremely laid back thumbs.gif Eugene can get a little excited if he spots a squirrel but again he listens, this boy really listens and he always moves on with absolutely no fuss whatsoever. lol.gif
Eugene is a big dog, with the biggest heart ❤️
EmmaNicole

Post by EmmaNicole »

Eugene came for a visit with Rob and I on Tuesday and it was lovely to be able to give him some time out of the kennels. Eugene was a little unsure about getting in the car to start so I hopped into the boot and patted the floor next to me which soon had him jumping in and we were off. Eugene travelled well in the car even though he was a little nervous. Whilst he didn’t lie down he sat calmly and was super quiet with only the occasional fidget and he had no issues with people and dogs walking on the pavements even when we were stopped.
This is a view Eugene’s new family will get used to very quickly as he loves a cuddle
This is a view Eugene’s new family will get used to very quickly as he loves a cuddle

Once home Eugene had a good explore of the downstairs of our house and garden checking everything out and finding key things like the water bowl and toys 😀, he wasn’t bothered about going upstairs and instead just wanted to come and chill out and have cuddles with me in the living room. As our boy Roscoe was out for his walk this gave Eugene a good chance to relax and roam freely which he seemed very happy to do, he also had a nice play with his chosen tug toy. Eugene plays politely, although he is a large unit and so you have to ensure to stay out the way when he’s shaking the toy 😂 he is very good and calms down when asked and happily lets you gets involved with play and gives back toys when when asked. Eugene is a young dog and does still have many puppy tendencies. He can get excited easily but equally calms quickly when directed, he does still puppy mouth at times, especially if he is unsure. He is however gentle when mouthing and again stops immediately when asked. Eugene does also get a little bouncy and can jump up when excited. Like in all scenarios I have encountered so far Eugene straight away will stop when you ask and sit but if you are not used to giant breed dogs this could be intimidating as he can happily put his front paws on your shoulders and give you cuddles 🥰
The big boy chilling out
The big boy chilling out
After a while our boy Roscoe returned and unfortunately he wasn’t overly impressed with our house guest and despite Eugene’s best efforts to make friends Roscoe was not in a welcoming mood and so we kept the boys separate. Despite Roscoe’s barking for most of the time Eugene stayed nice relaxed and happily ignored Roscoe choosing once again to just come in cuddles and chill out with me in the living room. He did have a few barks when Roscoe was in the garden but from Eugene I saw no aggression, rather frustration as he wanted to come and join in.
So handsome and he knows it
So handsome and he knows it
Eugene and I also went for a nice long walk around the local area and despite not knowing the area Eugene was very relaxed and just ambled along enjoying the smells. We saw several people and dogs who Eugene happpily walked straight passed and he got quite a few compliments for his good looks which we proudly accepted 😊. When Eugene first arrived at RR he was very scared of traffic but this is no longer the case and he is very relaxed walking along roads. He will stop and sit at the roadside whilst waiting to cross and walks calmly across the road.
Sitting patiently waiting for the traffic
Sitting patiently waiting for the traffic
Once back home we decided to test Eugene with a few treats as this is the main area where he has issues due to his stray past. Eugene again demonstrated how far he has come though by calmly sitting and giving me his paw before gently taking the treat from me. He was also very good whilst I sat at the dining table and ate a banana and Kit Kat. He was interested but respectfully sat at a polite distance from me and made no attempt to mug me of either snack. Given Eugene’s rough past I had fully expected the kitchen area to be of big interest to Eugene but o was pleasantly surprised that no counter surfing or bin fixation happened. Being Eugene’s first visit we didn’t push too much around food and kept his exposure small but next time will take this further.

We ended Eugene’s visit with a second walk, this time with Roscoe for company and once out and about the boys were very good together and walked happily along in each other’s company. Unfortunately all too soon it was time to take Eugene back to the kennels. Once back at base Eugene again showed me how far he’s come around food by sitting politely and waiting for Paige to place his food bowl down.

Eugene is a beautiful boy inside and out but given his bad start in life will need a large breed experienced home who have experience with food issues. With consistent guidelines Eugene will flourish in a home and make a fantastic addition. You will to consider Eugene’s size and puppy tendencies when considering offering him his forever sofa as he does take up space and will obviously eat a fair bit!
If you have fallen for Eugene’s smooshy chops then please get that application in. Do ensure you read all our homing guidelines and you must agree to our on lead for life requirement.

love4.gif Kiss of love.gif
What you doing Emma?
What you doing Emma?
9E4F7D91-3BD9-4F87-8120-A375F265DB2D.jpeg
Off in the lane of nod
Off in the lane of nod

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”