Aren't I handsome!
Julieh

Re: Oscar Large Shepherd x ?2015 Redhill Xmas Foster

Post by Julieh »

Such a beautiful boy💕💕 come on forever home where are you
RosC

Re: Oscar Large Shepherd x ?2015 Gatwick Kenns

Post by RosC »

Really missed Oscar over the last few days so I was very pleased to be walking with him again today.
We walked with Tommy and Luke in to the village and around the local area. Oscar was very well behaved, very strong at times again but also walked beautifully at other times. He seemed to like Tommy as a walking companion and had to sniff or cock his leg in every spot that Tommy had 0002.gif] Tommy likes to sniff and explore so as you can imagine we took our time getting round!
Oscar loves a fuss and a cuddle and leans in to your leg for some strokes, he is an absolute sweetheart.
One thing I didn't mention in my previous posts is that Oscar did not shed even 1 hair the whole time he was with us over Christmas. He is a very intelligent dog and with the right owner will be extremely trainable o I don't think his strength will be an issue in the long term and he will be a super addition to the family. If he gets plenty of exercise and stimulation he will happily relax for the rest of the time love4.gif
rstephenson

Post by rstephenson »

We were amazed by Oscar today. Ros has done a fabulous job with him whilst he was staying with her, and we could see the difference straight away! He was certainly calmer when we started the walk, and had more control over his strength.
He is a great listener and we practiced lots of ‘leave’ and ‘wait’ as dogs/bikes/horses passed. He walked with a nice slack lead for a lot of his walk, only pulling ahead to explore, but would relax after a small tug.
Just as we were saying what a raving review we would have to write, Oscar decided to have some zoomies... whilst on lead... as more horses approached (the zoomies started before he saw the horses so it wasn’t because of them!). So we had a slightly tricky, but funny 5 minutes - all playful- but once we were able to move aside to let the horses pass, we practised ‘wait’ and ‘leave’ again, and he calmed down and continued with his lovely walking again.
We found that stopping completely and only moving on when the lead felt slack helped to calm him down, and ‘reset’ his walk.
16618F23-2A21-4F7C-B81C-67EA6098AAB0.jpeg
rstephenson

Post by rstephenson »

Every walk we have with Oscar he seems to improve each time. I think as he gets to know us more, his excitement dies down quicker, and he listens better.
Today was our best walk yet, he was very responsive from the get go, and there was minimal pulling apart from the odd need to sniff something. If there was a tug, we would stop and instantly he’d turn back to look at us and carry on nicely.
Today we made our way back past the roads and over the motorway bridge, he was not bothered by the traffic that went past, but he did slow for a nose at the motorway lol.gif
We can see what a wonderful boy he would be in a home, and how quickly he would settle and learn from his new family! love4.gif
Mrees94

Post by Mrees94 »

I walked Oscar on my own today. Upon arrival at his Kennel, there was a lot excitement and jumping but after standing outside for a few seconds he quickly calmed and allowed me in whilst standing still. Oscar is always good when putting his harness on and today was no exception, he stood still and waited patiently. Before going on a walk, we went to the paddock where Oscar did a few zoomies, a bit of a sniff and came for some cuddles. The walk was our best yet, Oscar walked with a slack lead and listened to every 'wait' command given as people, bikes and runners came past. Oscar is a great listener and responds well to commands, he quickly learns and never misses an opportunity to ask for a treat when he's been a good boy (which today was a lot). bravo1.gif
Mrees94

Post by Mrees94 »

Oscar in his element. :dog_running-186.gif:
59B99F04-5E92-413F-BAFB-14699A80036E.jpeg
DA22D1A4-48A2-417C-B17E-E20A14BF84DB.jpeg
7480BE88-76DC-4F15-8830-85657B153AD1.jpeg
RosC

Post by RosC »

Oh look at that smile - one happy boy Kiss of love.gif
rstephenson

Post by rstephenson »

Oh Oscar you are a beautiful boy, and I can’t help but just fall in love all over again with every walk.
His walking is definitely improving, and he seems to be pulling less and less each time.
However 3 passing dogs in a very short space of time, seemed to over excite him today. First dog Oscar did a beautiful sit and wait (see pictures) and got lots of treats thumbs.gif , second dog had a stick and seemed like a good friend, so that wait failed, and the third dog he actually laid down to wait! (Again lots of treats)
After this good behaviour Oscar decided to reward himself with a funny 5 minutes.
Unfortunately that involved the leads becoming a toy...
But otherwise a very positive walk from the boy.
He has a lot of energy and does need several hours of exercise, so we don’t blame him when these funny 5 minutes appear (usually in the form of zoomies). In a house, with a new family who can give him the exercise he needs, there would be no need for him to exert this extra energy he currently has!
He has so much love to give, and cuddles from this fluff ball are a dream bighug.gif
A61BA125-D416-4E45-9F2F-464A428810EC.jpeg
2DE68AB5-25E1-4FAA-B4EB-DDFE29D688A1.jpeg
rstephenson

Post by rstephenson »

I know I have only just written a post for Oscar, but I have to share today’s walk!
We think we have found the secret to Oscar’s success!!
As we left the Paddock, leaving the grounds for our walk, Oscar found a toy, he decided to pick it up and walk on with it, so we decided to see how long it would last..
He was wonderful, barely pulled, no zoomies or funny 5 minutes for the whole walk! It gave him a focus and we had a really lovely walk!
He would drop it to sniff and go to the toilet, but would always go back for it and responded to ‘pick it up’.
If he left it behind because he needed to sniff something ahead, he wouldn’t always pick it up straight away, I would give it a little kick (not too far or further than the lead though!!) roflmao.gif and then he’d catch it and walk on.
He was being playful, but didn’t get overexcited at all. We made sure not to turn it into a game, so that he didn’t become overexcited, but it kept him interested.
On the way back, for about the last 10 minutes, he wouldn’t continuously carry it anymore, but if I picked it up he would take it back (quite gently most of the time, and would always take the other end not the end in my hand!).
But I was more than happy to carry it for him for the behaviour that resulted from it!
We plan to bring him a new ‘walk’ toy on our next visit, and fingers crossed it wasn’t a one off!!!
39EFA1A2-7388-46ED-90AC-6488015AF900.jpeg

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”