Oscar Malamute x Shepherd? ?2015 Bedford

Dogs that have found their forever home
Jude&Alf

Re: Oscar Large Shepherd x ?2015 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Jude&Alf »

Lovely love4.gif
I saw Oscar heading off for his foster break, he jumped onto the back seat of the car, super happy to be off on an adventure thumbs.gif
So excited for updates on this wonderful boy, reckon you're all going to have some fun :havefun.gif:
TrevorM

Re: Oscar Large Shepherd x ?2015 Redhill Xmas Foster

Post by TrevorM »

Hi Rosc,

Oscar is not panting through excitement, he is too warm. These dogs are not like normal dogs. Like my Rocky, he has a thick outer coat and and an insulating inner coat. They love cold weather, the colder the better.

You should try turning your heating down a notch and overnight give him access to the coldest room in the house. Rocky chooses to sleep in the downstairs cloakroom with the window open. You can try him with a bed, but he will probably prefer to sleep on a tiled floor, like a kitchen floor.

The weather is warm and wet at the moment but if you are fostering him over Christmas, it is due to be cold and frosty, so be prepared for him to want to stay outside. Rocky will spend the whole evening outside on the patio and it's a real job to get him to come indoors at bedtime.

You can see pictures of Rocky in Kira's thread.

Good Luck!
RosC

Post by RosC »

So, the Blond bombshell is settling in well. Once he settled down for the evening last night he started to relax and the panting stopped. We have had a few nice walks today. First one this morning around the road. Parts of the walk were pulling and parts were with slack leads. Passed all dogs and people well although not up close with the dogs. The afternoon walk was over the fields. Unfortunately the lovely clean Oscar ended up rolling in the mud a few times and is now not so clean. On return he was fairly patient whilst I hosed the worst of the mud from his legs and body. We met some of the neighbours and he was a bit of a tart rolling round for tummy tickles lol.gif
Thank you Trevor for your tips, we kept the back door open most of the day and Oscar spent a lot of time sitting outside the back door but alternated throughout the day between there and the house.
Oscar is eating well and is very polite around food although he does need reminding. He takes treats gently and doesn't mind being stroked if he is eating. He comes up to the table and given his size could easily swipe something but if you tell him to sit he will move back and either sit or lay down so is no bother. I wouldn't trust him if we weren't looking though 0002.gif]
Yesterday he cocked his leg indoors twice (and once he has started he will not stop). Once was totally my fault as he went to the door of the front room and I didn't get up, but today he has been totally clean indoors. He nudged me at about 4 in the morning so I let him outside and he went out and did his business. He went out again around 6 when Jason got up for work but both times happily settled back down again afterwards.
Just a few photos of this gorgeous boy love4.gif
20201221_185202.jpg
20201222_132429.jpg
20201222_115049.jpg
20201222_123229.jpg
20201222_115111.jpg
Julieh

Post by Julieh »

He is truly beautiful, I so hope someone sees him and snaps him up soon He looks so settled and happy in a home
Thank you so much for giving him some time away from kennels and showing how wonderful he is 😊
EmmaNicole

Post by EmmaNicole »

Oh wow he looks right at home and his fur blends perfectly with the sofa, you’re hardly see it roflmao.gif
Nic

Post by Nic »

Oscar is so handsome! I think he needs a photo shopped santa hat!
RosC

Post by RosC »

Oscar is continuing to relax. Another good nights sleep, up at 6 to go on the garden then settled back down again until breakfast time.
First half of our hour long walk this morning was pulling, 2nd half 50/50.
Most of the day he has been very well behaved. Just 1 accident indoors today.
He gets very excited for a little while after meals, which is quite normal. This evening he got very excited after playing with a squeaky toy. I now know not to let that happen for so long. ...
After a bit of time out he then had zoomies indoors which isnt good with a dog this big 😂
He is settling well but sometimes getting over excited at being in a home and having toys and lots of attention so this is all understandable. He is a lovely character.
His new family will need to be confident and experienced dog owners and aware that he needs to keep his energy levels low indoors ( unless they have a massive house!) I would suggest no young children due to his size and the fact that he just barges in to things!
My Christmas tree has seen better days but we are loving having him to stay 🥰
Completely zonked out now after the earlier excitement 👍
RosC

Post by RosC »

Heart fill with love.gif]
20201223_204758_resize_49.jpg
Julieh

Post by Julieh »

Thank you so much for all your doing for this lovely boy . I imagine after living in a car for two years any home will seem huge and plenty big enough for games 😊
It’s so nice to see him settling more every day . Really do hoping his home comes up soon
RosC

Post by RosC »

To say we all love Oscar would be an understatement. He is absolutely THE most handsome dog and has a really gentle loving character. He loves being groomed and having a cuddle. He is however, very large and not for the feint hearted due to his strength. We did try to take a Christmas photo with a Santa hat on but he was having none of that 0002.gif]
Oscar is now entirely clean in the house and sleeping through the night until around 8am. He has been sleeping on the sofa all night but he rarely tries to get up there during the day, preferring to lay on the floor.
He is very polite around the dinner table and will sit either very close or lay down nearby but has not once tried to grab anything off the table. He has not jumped up at all nor in the kitchen, even with all the food that was being prepared and served up yesterday. Even the left overs put on the worktop were safe. thumbs.gif
Saying that I am not sure that he would want someone trying to take his treat away from him but he is not bothered by you being around him when he is eating or walking past him etc.
All in all yesterday was maybe a little too exciting for him and he did have a couple of silly moments but when he did we either put him in the kitchen or let him in to the garden for 5 mins and he soon calmed back down again. He has not been living in a home for a while so I think the odd 5 minutes of excitement is understandable and things have calmed down a lot today and he has been on his best behaviour. He is getting much better though so I think he would grow out of this very quickly. If he was staying a couple more days with a normal routine I think it would stop completely.
Oscar could do with a little lead training as he is very strong for a lot of his walk, particularly if going down hill he can be hard to keep up with! He does intersperse this with beautiful walking close to your side.
Oscar does not appear to be cat friendly and has shown a keen interest in those we have seen out on our walks - he can spot them from quite a distance! We passed a ferret out for a walk today with it's owner and he was very interested in that but luckily the ferret was very well behaved and stepped in to his cage and was lifted away!
So a quick recap:
Oscar is very strong but trainable, he needs a new family with large dog experience (and big muscles!)
Oscar is polite and friendly to all people, loves being stroked and brushed
Oscar is polite around food
Oscar is housetrained
I can't say what Oscar would be like being left but he is happy to spend time outside on his own and has just laid down when left in another room.
Walking past other dogs I have given them a wide berth due to his size and my concern that I would not be able to restrain him if needed if too close but from the other side of the road or from a distance on the grass he watches them but does not do anything else even if they bark at him. One lady came over to us with her labrador even though I had asked her not to but they sniffed noses in a very polite way so the signs are good!
He is not bothered by people, cyclists, runners or traffic.
Oscar is going to make some very lucky family a fabulous addition to their household. If I had the time to give him the attention and exercise he needs when I am at work he wouldn't be going anywhere love4.gif

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”