Kirby Akita DofB 05.11.16 Bromley

Dogs that have found their forever home
xxlynne

Kirby Akita DofB 05.11.16 Bromley

Post by xxlynne »

Current Status: HOMED
kirby1DSCF0103a.jpg
Kirby's Story: Kirby is good with people but need care to avoid dogs. We were asked to save his life. Rescue Remedies offered a Rescue place saving his life. Kirby is neutered, chipped, and fully vaccinated. Kirby was in boarding kennels near Gatwick whilst awaiting his new family.
• Beautiful & typical Akita. Very soft vibe
• Muzzled in public as got out of original home and grabbed passing dog
• Strict exit management and secure garden with supervision as could climb
• Keen interest in running; no real reaction to passing dogs.
• Can be left without destruction in kennel. House trained
• Affectionate man loves paws on shoulders for love

If you are interested in rehoming one of our dogs, please complete our ONLINE HOMING QUESTIONNAIRE. It is always the first step in our rehoming process. Upon application, you must be ready to take in your new dog within seven days. For more detailed information, please see our Homing Process.

Please support our work and help our long stay dogs: Our minimum adoption donation is £200. This supports our continuing rescue work and is non-refundable. We exist solely due to the goodwill and donations of our supporters and volunteers. Our dogs need supportive families who will offer them patience, time and tolerance whilst they settle in their new homes. Our Rescue offers all our dogs back-up for life.

Please note: Dog laws have changed, with zero public tolerance and prejudice against bull breeds and terriers. Our Rescue asks new owners to keep their dog on a lead in public spaces and manage and support its encounters with new dogs and people, so as not to place the dog's life at risk. Destruction and Control Orders are commonplace nowadays.
kirby2DSCF0125.jpg
kirby3DSCF0112.jpg
kirby4DSCF0109a.jpg
Kirby's progress through our Rescue is below.
We work with our dogs, who often reveal a different picture and positive skills as they build trust.
Original Referral information:
Kirby (3).JPG
Kirby (2).JPG
Kirby (1).JPG
anne

Kirby Akita DofB 5.11.16 Gatwick Kenns

Post by anne »

I saw Kirby was out enjoying some time in the paddock yesterday so I went in to make friends. Kirby was waiting by the gate to say hello and as soon as I entered he put his paws up on my chest to say hi and give me a big hug. He is such a wonderful happy, friendly, enthusiastic boy. He has the WOW factor, both in looks and in temperament.
kirby5DSCF0105.jpg
kirby6DSCF0126.jpg
April111

Re: Kirby Akita DofB 5.11.16 Gatwick Kenns

Post by April111 »

Kirby is a real delight to walk. Greats you like an old friend and keen to go on his way. If there’s a dog in the run opposite then he’s forward to go say hello but otherwise is manageable when out walking and come across other dogs, listening to the walker to move away and is very good with runners who zoom by.
He is a larger dog but I can’t say he uses that strength and seems untuned with the walk.
LeesyLou

Post by LeesyLou »

I was so excited to walk Kirby on Friday. He's a cuddly bear of a dog, and seems a total sweetheart. He was very relaxed, happy and enthusiastic to be going out. Although he's a very strong boy, he walked along beautifully, without too much pulling. He was interested in other dogs we saw, and wanted to stop and look, but wasn't reactive. He was also very happy to stop and sit with me, so we could get to know one another - he gave me kisses. His coat is stunning - a really beautiful champagne colour (I like champagne!) and so soft. Kirby knows basic commands like 'sit', and I thought probably 'wait'.... talking of which, I can't wait to walk him again, but if he gets snapped up to a great new home first, that's OK too ;), he'll make someone very happy.
LeesyLou

Post by LeesyLou »

I got to walk the beautiful cuddlesome Kirby again this Friday. He's such a lovely dog. We went for a long walk in the woods. Kirby likes a confident, attentive handler - he listens well to directions. We meandered around and then had a sit down for cuddles. Later my teenage (15 yr old) son, Xavi, came to pick me up. Kirby was back in his kennel but I had to take Xavi over to seem him. Kirby was so pleased to have a younger visitor. His curly tail properly wagged and he looked as though he'd love to come out walking with us all over again. Can't wait for some more adventures with this beatiful boy.
LeesyLou

Post by LeesyLou »

I got to walk Kirby again this week. What a lovely boy! He can be quite bouncy and excited in his kennel, but I asked him not to jump up and he listened beautifully, sitting and offering me his paw while I attached his leads. And then we were off! We went for a long walk in the woods. Mostly we walked along, companionably and silently, just enjoying the Autumn day, but, as before, Kirby listened very well to any instructions I gave - although he did have a little gentle grumble (just to himself) when I suggested we turned back because a local dog walker was coming along the path. He soon cheered up though when the new route meant having to jump over a low style on to a bridge. He sailed over in athletic effortlessness.

I think Kirby might be good at Cani-x. We tried a little run together and he seemed very keen, and ran ahead beautifully, but unfortunately I had big walking boots on, rather than trainers, so couldn't keep up for very long! Maybe next time....

Can't wait to hang out with this beautiful boy again.
IMG_0736.jpg
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

My first walk with Kirby and what a great dog he is! He loves being out and is such a happy boy, he just lights up a gloomy day. His smile is dazzling and he has it on his face pretty much all the time. He also likes a cuddle, yep he is a teddy bear of a cuddle. Just can't sing his praises enough.

Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

20191110_080313.jpg
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
LeesyLou

Post by LeesyLou »

TRAIL-RUNNING WITH KIRBY: I've been dying to spend time with big cuddly Kirby again, and thought he might like cani-x. This Friday I turned up with my running shoes to see...
IMG_0860.jpg
And ...Kirby LOVES running.
We started off on the hard path (see the video), but then went off on an adventurous muddy trail route too. Kirby smiled all the way, and seemed to be more responsive than ever after this big bonding moment. He did stop and start a bit - understandably he was keen also to use his out of kennel time to look around, sniff, and explore, but he's a natural. He's always a happy dog, and it was joyous to see him so in his element out on this walk/run.
LeesyLou

Post by LeesyLou »

Today Kirby and I went for a long walk/run, with lots of new experiences. First of all we headed down the busy road. Next along the lane we had a jog together. Kirby was interested in following a scent - nose up in the air catching the wind - and astonished/delighted when it led us to a farmyard on the corner with horses AND cows. Then we went past some houses with barking dogs. Kirby danced about a bit but listened quite well when I asked him to stop. Then an off-lead spaniel caught us by surprise and followed us for a bit. Kirby was calm. Finally, over the motorway bridge with Kirby walking nicely to heel (with the help of some occasional cocktail sausages to keep him focused ;)). Back in his kennel I spied Kirby on his back rolling about with his paws waving in the air playing with his cuddly toy pheasant - like a furry baby bear. He's big and strong, and interested in everything around him, but very responsive to firm, kind commands. Kirby could be a really wonderful, fun companion for someone strong, confident who would enjoy putting in some training work. If this is you, you'll be well-rewarded. Kirby is a beautiful boy love4.gif
IMG_0889.jpg

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”