Buddy German Shep x ?Boxer DofB 19.04.18 Boxhill

Dogs that have found their forever home
StephenB

Re: Buddy German Shep x ?Boxer DofB 19.04.18 Gatwick Kenns

Post by StephenB »

Couldn't resist another Buddy portrait.
20210813_170546.jpg
Last edited by StephenB on Fri 10 Sep 2021 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

And another video...
Took Buddy round the back on the gravel path this afternoon. We'd already been to the paddock and had a walk down the main road and through the woods. Buddy boy does like his late afternoon strolls for sure.

There's hardly ever anyone round the back and the vision is good so I let him have some time on the extender.

It's very satisfying seeing him relaxed and taking it all in.
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

I like to spend a lot of down time with Buddy. He does like some vigorous ball chasing in the mix, but it's not all about just wearing him out. We like to have some sitting around time plus some taking in the surroundings time. He can get agitated and want to do something, but I hang it out as long a possible.

The last 2 walks we have gone up the lane and then into the 'wood where few venture'. With no one around I've let him have some space on the extender. It has been a great benefit to him. He relaxes much more and so enjoys his walking much more. It's great to see him so calm....and with Buddy, relationship, trust and calmness are key.

A short vid of him strolling without a care. Great dog!!
Last edited by StephenB on Fri 10 Sep 2021 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

As there aren't a lot of people in the lane we've been giving Buddy more freedom on the longer lead. His response has been fantastic. He's been so relaxed, enjoying what's going on around him. It's been a pleasure.

Got a photo of both of his ears standing up straight. Got to be worth something!
20210824_120553.jpg
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Buddy boy has been getting to know a new friend. Sarah has been coming out with us for the last month and today took the reins for the journey back. Buddy has been casting a cautious eye over her as they get to know each other. The Budstar has definite mannerisms that need a response before he gets flustered and impulsive. He has been doing really well controlling his impulsive behaviour and we have been grab free for most of this year. Sarah is learning about these mannerisms and it was satisfying to see them enjoying a plod together.
20210910_165822.jpg
20210910_165850.jpg
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

:smiley-bounce016.gi: :smiley-bounce016.gi:
Buddy Budstar enjoyed his long walk last saturday. We decided to explore and walked up to the new houses and through the park. I don't think Buddy has seen a duck before. He was quite taken with it. Buddy is more inquisitive than prey driven, indeed, he doesn't tend to chase squirrels either, but does like looking at them. I wouldn't trust him around cats though!
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
There's only so many videos I can post of Buddy chasing a ball. This one is in fact....buddy chasing a ball; but more to the point having my hand around his head and mouth with no reaction. Very important :icon_barking_dog-116.gif:
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Buddy is letting go of his urgency to get what he wants when he wants it. We are making more eye contact these days (I admit to putting the ball under my chin sometimes in order to achieve this!) roflmao.gif
I like to let him relax as long as possible. He quite often walks on a slack lead next to my leg and his real chill time is late afternoon on the long circuit around the woods.
20210919_155504.jpg
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

:smiley-bounce016.gi:
Really enjoyed a long walk with Buddy Budstar today. After 5 days without my Buddy fix it was good to see him again. He was in good form and after a little ball chasing we headed out. There are only so many videos that I can take of Buddy either chasing a ball or walking through the woods. The videos however, are important in that they show not just snippets of Buddy's day, but the consistency of his behaviour.
Today we had a slow walk through the woods and then up to the housing estate; returning back past the stream for a quick dip. Really satisfying seeing Buddy relaxed and interested in natures goings on.

Sarah and Joe

Post by Sarah and Joe »

Steve’s been introducing me to Buddy over the last few weeks and I finally got to take the reins and walk him. thumbs.gif He is a lovely happy boy who desperately wants new friends, he just doesn’t realise how big and strong he can be or how slow humans can be! Steve has done wonders on his impulse control and I’m learning more every time . Buddy walks really well , doesn’t pull or react at people or dogs that he sees out on the walk responding really well to instructions. Really Looking forward to walking him more often.
StephenB

Post by StephenB »

Came straight from work to have a stroll with Buddy Budstar. Sadly can't make it down as regularly as I'd like at the moment.

Being late in the afternoon the lane was deserted , so we had some extender time. Buddy walks really well on the longer lead. He tends to slow right down and take more in. It feels calm walking him like this.

Buddy continues to show that he is inquisitive and intelligent, responding very well to voice and hand commands.

Today we had a short Mexican standoff with a deer. Buddy likes to observe things and rarely charges off half cocked. I shortened the lead and let him have a little eyeball before turning around as I didn't want to chance it for too long. He was very good about it. Once you have a bond with Buddy he really is a fine friend.

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”