Baxter Greyhound Lurcher DofB ?2015 Netherend Glos

Dogs that have found their forever home
FJB

Re: Baxter Greyhound Lurcher DofB ?2015 New Forest W/E foster

Post by FJB »

Day 1 of our foster weekend in the New Forest with Baxter has gone really well. He was curious in the car (walking over Jason (on the back seat with him) to get a better view out of the windows) and after 45 mins settled down and went to sleep for the remainder of the trip. He’s settled really well in the cottage (currently sprawled out and puffing gently in his sleep). He’s had dinner (and doesn’t seem to have any food guarding issues at all) and a couple of treats (which he takes incredibly gently and delicately). We’ve been out for a short walk and he is very good on the lead. We did see a cat cross the road in the gloom/dusk which led to a bit of barking and bouncing around but this soon passed and it was back to sniffing, peeing and pottering (Baxter not me).
FJB

Post by FJB »

New things learnt about Baxter in the last 24 hours. He would like to sleep in bed with you but with a bit of positive reinforcement (treats and lots of praise) he will settle on his bed by the side of the bed or downstairs (depending on what he fancies). We went for a precautionary pee break very early morning (pre-dawn) but I think he would make it through the night absolutely fine. He loves cuddles, has a playful side (I’ve had 2 play bows today), isn’t bothered by the noise of a hair dryer and is very good on the lead. He walks at the end of the lead but doesn’t pull much (unless he sees a deer). He asked (by standing by the door) when he needed to go out for a pee. He is very food orientated but when you give him a bowl of food or a treat he is extremely well behaved - he doesn’t snatch or grab and let me take the food off him for a small moment and put it back down for him without any issues at all. He has been really good in the cottage and is an absolute delight to spend time with.
FJB

Post by FJB »

Day 3 of our foster weekend with Baxter. He continued to be an absolute joy to be with. He slept on his bed most of the night - with the odd visit to come and check on us - and then it was a mix of pottering around the cottage with me and snoozing in the sunny spots. His fun side definitely came out this morning too (perhaps because he had completely relaxed?). Zoomies and ball chasing on the flexi leads in the garden and playing with his chew toy and ball inside on the rug - including pouncing on them and waiting for praise whilst he looked super pleased with himself. Also lots of play bowing and bouncing from side to side to encourage us both to join in along with some really cute 'play with me' woofing and rumbling too.

We went to a dog friendly pub for lunch on the basis that if it was too much for him we would leave and have a sandwich somewhere outside. He did incredibly well - a little unsure at the start but then he relaxed and snoozed on the floor by our feet. He wasn't interested in the food (just as well as his head was higher than the table so he could have had the pick of what was on the table) or the other dogs around us (including a very friendly spaniel who kept wanting to come and say 'hello'). He happily walked past said spaniel, a golden retriever sprawled across the floor by the bar and several other dogs when we left and didn't bat an eye. He was also absolutely fine with waiters/waitresses and visitors walking near him, around him and carrying plates/trays etc. over him and again didn't bat an eye. All in all he did super well.

He was also really good in the car - more relaxed than on the journey to the cottage when he'd only just met us. He pretty much curled up and went to sleep from the outset.

All in all he's a lovely dog and was an absolute joy to spend the weekend with. It was so lovely to see him slowly relax in even a couple of days and for his playful nature to come out. I think he will make a wonderful, loving addition to someone's family.

Photos and videos will follow once I've mastered how to upload them!
Beccastj

Re: Baxter Greyhound Lurcher DofB ?2015 Guildford Kenns

Post by Beccastj »

Baxtertile.jpg
pits

Post by pits »

From the fosterers:

FJB

Post by FJB »

A week after our foster break with Baxter I got to take him out for a walk from the kennels. He was as gorgeous as ever - super easy to harness and waited patiently by the gate for our walking companion so we could get on our way. He was tenser than when we had been on the foster break (which is to be expected but broke my heart). When I say tense - he was definitely not a handful - he just walked faster, didn't stop to stare at things and sniffed on the move rather than stopping and really investigating a smell. Luckily he relaxed around half way on the outward 'leg', slowed down and started investigating smells and stopping to stare off into the distance. A small black pony really caught his eye going out and coming back 0002.gif] He also started to look back to 'check in' occasionally (which he hadn't done before and which was adorable). He seems to be fine with other dogs - we met others on our walk including one 'in season' and he didn't bat an eye.

He played (chasing and retrieving a ball) in the paddock for a little while when we got back to the kennels but was more interested in leaning in for a cuddle and an ear scratch which I willingly supplied.

I've said it before but he's a lovely and loving dog and would make a great addition to someone's family.
FJB

Post by FJB »

Baxter and I went out for a walk for a couple of hours yesterday (13 April). He was as fabulous as usual. Play bowing and bouncing around with a toy when I went into his kennel and then settled to his usual calm self so I could pop his harness on. Pottered around sniffing and looking for rabbits, foxes and deer in the fields, had a lovely roll around showing his tummy to all and sundry, tried to wade into the lake after some ducks (but stopped when I said 'no' and pointed out if he went in so would I and I didn't fancy getting wet 0002.gif]) and was quite taken (and happy to watch) the boats going in and out of the lock on the canal. All rounded off with a cuddle and scratch in the paddock. He is a lovely, easy going dog and I'd love him to find his forever home.
James

Post by James »

I enjoyed a really nice long walk with Baxter, who was so calm, affectionate and easy to walk. He only pulled once, when he scented a rabbit, but was very obedient when I discouraged him from the hunt. He's a strong boy and quite tall with lovely soft fur, is very easy going and loving, nestling up to you for cuddles. Such a pleasure to be around!
2019-04-19 10.41.28-2.jpg
2019-04-19 10.42.42-1.jpg
Rjackson

Post by Rjackson »

Gorgeous Baxter is waiting patiently for his forever home. He is such a sweet, gentle soul and so good with other dogs, really lovely to walk.

He is a typical lurcher/greyhound in that he is prey driven and probably been told to chase animals in his former life. He loves treats so he will be receptive to training to help him with his prey drive.

Basically he is a lovely easy dog to walk who loves cuddles and is fantastic with other dogs, beautiful boy.

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”