Spike Husky; StaffiexShar pei DofB 08.17 Woodford Green

Dogs that have found their forever home
FranB

Re: Spike Husky Staffiex Shar pei DofB 08.17 Guildford Kenns

Post by FranB »

Another lovely walk with Spike today, he was in a chilled mood and enjoyed himself. We didn’t meet any other dogs but passed a few people which he ignored apart from one man who was getting into his car and spike looked longingly at the car and tried to get in. He’s such a lovely dog and would be perfect for an active person.
B41C4821-DB75-49B6-939B-1FE7353817B3.jpeg
C486AEFA-0307-41A8-87D7-1D7508F8884D.jpeg
FranB

Post by FranB »

I love Spike, he is a total pleasure to walk once he trusts you and feels confident. We had a wander around the woods then popped down to see how flooded the river was. There was a couple larking about on the bridge, the man was carrying the girl at one point and Spike got really worried, I think he thought she was being hurt. They were shrieking a bit. He barked at them and I had to distract him and get him to walk away, which he did after a couple of seconds and he was fine after that. He soon calmed down and enjoyed the rest of his walk. Spike is an intelligent sensitive boy and needs his humans to be able to help in cope with the occasional scary things he hasn’t seen before but he will reward them with so much in return. love4.gif
F39B7A3C-0EE3-4951-AFA9-29C4436C9882.jpeg
10F654C6-CF2E-4A21-8955-2745AC109645.jpeg
E39DF1FB-EC80-4284-99BF-E16CF89BFF05.jpeg
NinaMalina

Post by NinaMalina »

I took this lovely fella for a long walk and totally fell for him. He REALLY needs to find that forever home finally, he is SUCH a sweetheart!

He is super keen to go for walkies and loves nothing better than sniffing around, doing tricks for a treat and trotting along investigating the world. We were playing 'find it!' where I scattered the treats among the leaves and grass and he had to sniff them out. A few times I threw him a few treats, and he jumped and snatched them from the air! 😂😂 I told him that was cheating!

He is a very clever handsome boy and he knows it!

Because of his husky heritage, he has a lot of energy and can keep going for a while!

Our dear Spikey boy comes from an overcrowded household where he wasn't given much attention and TLC, so since coming to us, he has learned LOTS of basic skills and manners which should help a lot in his new home.

He needs an active guardian who will have the time to continue his training and support him when visiting new places. Spikey can get a little worried by new people sometimes, and he just needs reassurance and support to show him that the world is a wonderful exciting place with endless sniffing and trotting opportunities!

My guess is that he would probably be happier in a quieter, adult only home so he has time to adjust and learn and gain his confidence.

Here are a few snapshots from our little adventure love4.gif
Spike 1.3.jpg
Spike 3.2.jpg

FranB

Post by FranB »

A4B5E0E0-5738-4229-BFA6-3B72193CD90D.jpeg
Lovely walk with Spike today. After an initial burst of energy for the first 10 minutes, he was in the mood to stop and sniff everything he possibly could. We stopped at the top of the hill for a treat and some pictures and he enjoyed himself rolling in the grass. love4.gif
C98F9E25-87A8-43CD-83C8-644B896457CC.jpeg
4604877E-42AE-4249-AF4C-509BA5572E1B.jpeg
852F5084-9924-4F96-964C-9F4076DE8C1A.jpeg
3966D39D-351D-4402-B310-7F094BF61D46.jpeg
FranB

Post by FranB »

Spike was a good boy today considering we met so many off lead dogs. The first was a boxer. Very large. Spike was already sitting down for his treat as a distraction and the other dog came right up to him. He was pretty good, he just gave a little growl and a bark and it went away. Then we found we had to turn around because the river was flooded, we passed two on lead dogs nicely and he was a very good boy. We then dodged a hoard of about 4 off lead dogs before heading up the steep sandy hill to St Cats. Spike loves going up the sand and always wants to do Zoomies, I wonder if he has been taken to the beach before and remembers this. When we got to the top of the hill, there was a man all in black taking pictures. Spike was very nervous of him and gave a little bark and growl. This was all he did and I managed to persuade him to pass which he did very well. He does seem to be getting braver, it’s just the odd unexpected thing that takes him by surprise that he needs support with. love4.gif
F1AB6651-9541-4BF5-9C94-2D94354271CB.jpeg
4D89C591-28FE-421F-8DA0-2D133DF4374B.jpeg
nada.c

Post by nada.c »

Last Sunday, Spike and I went on a long sniffy walk - calming for the both of us. He walked beautifully on the lead as you can see in the video. We also stopped by a field of sheep - he glanced at them, but was way more interested in showing me his ‘sit’ for a treat.

What a fabulous boy Spike is ❤️

0F00FE45-1125-4647-BF6E-8A0A5854D3C6.jpeg
NinaMalina

Post by NinaMalina »

Spike and I went for a little ramble again. I love this boy more and more with each walk. He is handsome, he is clever, he is energetic, he is just fabulous!

We were playing sniffy games, enjoying lovely views over the countryside, training sit (or rather he was training me how to get treats for free 0002.gif] ) and then got soaked by the rain. He didn't mind - he shook it off and on we went thumbs.gif

Spikey needs someone who has the time and the energy to put the training in. He ADORES treats and will do all sorts for food. He loves his sniffy games and is keen to explore his surroundings.

He will need a bit of support meeting new people, but I'm sure with the right approach he will be a wonderful companion. I have a sneaky feeling with enough TLC he may even turn into a snuggle buddy!

C'mon Spikey's home?!? You must be out there somewhere! Such a lovely boy and so much potential, and he still spends his days in kennels!
Spike thumbnail 22.jpg
Spike thumbnail 11.jpg
Beccastj

Post by Beccastj »

2DAE4A0E-9A40-409E-A1C9-96EE37DD7ECD.jpeg
Spike came home for the day, to have a little break from kennels. He travelled very well in the back of the car, happily jumping in and sitting or lying down for the journey. He was a star at home and would be a fabulous companion. Calm, obedient, gentle. He, sits, lies down and gives a paw on command. He didn't beg at the table while we ate. It was lovely to see him so happy to be in the home and enjoy pottering in the garden. Seriously, fill out the form, you won't regret it.
Lying down for a treat
Lying down for a treat
4516224F-1B24-4B1B-89A3-25FEFB113B92.jpeg
FD39AE16-A673-4F94-B91C-76C0B5811F2A.jpeg
D26528C8-2420-47B9-AEB4-3053F1CD21C6.jpeg
023755B7-F153-4117-BB28-AA75D9EF5C97.jpeg
5D2608BF-3102-449A-ABFC-00EDE44264B0.jpeg
Facewash Spike style
Facewash Spike style
5B30514B-4CC8-418B-B444-C7D8FF0F2DE4.jpeg
F72861ED-3B06-4AAA-8809-5E96667B21D6.jpeg
Sitting for a treat
Sitting for a treat

Julieh

Post by Julieh »

Wonderful to see lovely Spike having some home comforts, such a beautiful boy . Come on people where’s his furever home
lucyloo

Post by lucyloo »

Spike has come to stay for a few days.
Picked him up Friday, where he hopped in the car very happily. He sat in the back looking out, as quiet as a mouse for 50 minutes.
He met Richi nicely in the garden, and we took Spike round to his quarters at the end of the house, with his own secure garden. He inspected it and gave it 4 stars. (Something about being able to smell the previous foster dog 🤨)

I'm always amazed at how quickly dogs can settle in a strange place. We went out for a walk with our dog May. He yipped a bit on first sight of her, but he was walking alongside in no time at all. He's now had several walks with her very comfortably.
That initial yip is actually the only sound he's made since leaving kennels. He's as quiet as a mouse. It is a quiet home, which helps I'm sure.
When we returned from our walk yesterday, we let him off the lead with May in the main garden, and he did hilarious Zoomies, then a bit of molehill digging. Mostly ignoring May, but when he decided to try to befriend her, he was very good and respectful of her as she was feeling unsure..what is this hairy beast, is it a badger?

He's been very very calm in the home, just lolling around relaxed and happy. He's not needy but enjoys cuddles for a bit, then takes himself off to lay on the floor or the end of the sofa.
I slept in the spare room, with Spike in the ensuite bathroom, and he was very happy in there all night without a peep.
The 2nd night was good, he slept fine despite the tiles rattling in the high winds.
Last edited by lucyloo on Wed 12 Feb 2020 21:41, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”