Rescue Remedies_2

Re: Louie Collie x DofB 01.07.15 Bucks Temp Foster`

Post by Rescue Remedies_2 »

Louie after his morning walk
Louie after his morning walk

Happy to help

Post by Happy to help »

Louie will be returning to Rescue Remedies on the 22 June. He has been our foster dog since end of March 2020. I wanted to say a few words about how lovely a dog he is.
Our own dog died last November, aged 15 years old. We are very used to dogs and have rules about dog behavior in our home. I say this because everyone treats their dogs differently. Our rules are simple. No dog on the furniture, not upstairs, no feeding from the table or dinner scraps. No over excitement indoors. In return we ensure that he has a routine he can rely on. Pee and poo first thing. Breakfast and dinner at set times. Hour long morning walk and short walk just before dinner and again circa 10pm. Louie is very happy in this routine.
When he first came to stay with us he showed no sign of being anxious in his new surroundings. He had no accidents. He has not ever tried to chew anything or mark his territory inside. He didn't climb up on the furniture. He did not follow us upstairs once we explained that this was not his territory to explore.
He has his own bed and fresh water in the "boot room". He did need some quiet company the first few nights and since then he knows to put himself to bed (circa 11pm). The door is then closed and we and he have a restful night until 7:15am when I come downstairs.
I take him for a ten minute walk through the copse across from us each morning to relieve himself before we have breakfast. He then waits patiently for his breakfast to be made.
Food: Louie is not a greedy dog and does not beg. He is not fussed on treats so we stopped giving him any. He enjoys his two meals a day. He is not food protective. He does not guard his food.
Training: Since Louie is not food focused we started training him for recall at breakfast and tea time. He has learned the command "wait" and "sit" and the release command "OK". His recall command is "Louie Come". Louie will need wise handling in order to become social with strangers and other dogs.
Louie Nature: He is a calm dog who is eager to please. There is no meanness in him. He has had only our family as social contact. He does not like having a muzzle put on but has never growled or shown aggression towards us when we put it on. Louie is not a barky dog. He can bark but does not generally. When people walk past our house and he is in the garden he does not bark at them. If he could Louie would spend his day lying on my feet. He likes to be as close as possible. He is perfectly happy to be on his own if I'm not available. Because of lock down there has almost always been someone in the house. Those seldom occasions where we have not been in he seems content to be in the "boot room" to nap.
Exercise:Louie gets his exercise in two ways. If he is on a walk he is muzzled and on an extendable lead. He walks without pulling. On several occasions he has been taken for a jog but this is not his forte. He does not like to go at pace without stopping. These have been short supplements to his morning walk. If he is in the garden then he is free to run. This is the only time he gets to go at full speed. It lasts less than 5 minutes. Then he has a roll on the grass and is done. Louie does not play fetch. He can catch a ball but does not really engage in play. He will be able to learn to do this but is content to lounge around.

It is hard to describe all the lovely and wonderful ways Louie has enriched our family and home. We knew at the outset that we could not have a dog long-term. Our commitment to family and work take us away for periods at a time. Lock down meant that all that was on hold but now we must return to our prior responsibilities. We are happy to discuss Louie and answer any questions regarding his behavior with us. WE hope you will see the calm and smiley boy that we see and care for.
Smiling Louie
Smiling Louie

Magicles

Post by Magicles »

It has been lovely to read the updates on Louie, he seems to be a great chap. Sad to see him go back after he has enjoyed life so much for a couple of months. I would love to have Louie, but I have a cat. Hopefully someone "without" a cat will give him his forever home very soon, he certainly looks like he would love it.

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick »

I’m sad that Louie hasn’t found his perfect home but I’ve missed him so much and can’t wait to see him tomorrow. I came across this video of him from earlier this year at Calvins field playing ball with me. Such a wonderful boy.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

EmmaD

Post by EmmaD »

Dear Happy to Help, thank you so much for the wonderful break you have given Louie, and for showing what a super dog he is in a home environment. Louie is such a smart and loving dog, as your investment in him has shown, his forever home can't come soon enough. I'll see you soon Louie ❤️

Broomstick

Re: Louie Collie x DofB 01.07.15 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Broomstick »

Louie appears to have settled back in ok. He is such an affectionate chap and loves sniffing about to see who has been around. We have been walking with Buster who is a lovely quiet soul and the perfect partner for walking with Louie. Louie wants to keep up with him and does not want to be far from his quiet friend. Over the weekend he met Kami through the paddock fence and really enjoyed the experience doing some lovely play bows and tail wagging. Patient Louie would love a quiet home where he can be have a good run around in his own garden and be loved as much as he deserves. love4.gif love4.gif love4.gif love4.gif

nada.c

Post by nada.c »

On Sunday, I was finishing up a walk with Louie. We passed Macey (Romanian crossbreed) in the paddock, who was running around and playing.
Louie wanted to run up to her. So we did. And they had lovely play time on either side of the fence! I tried the best I could to let Louie move with her without tension on the lead and he just loved her 😍🥰
Play bows, trying to sniff each other’s bottoms, high pitched barking and soft wagging tails.
It was lots of fun watching these two together ❤️
Here’s hoping Louie and I see Macey again next Sunday!
We love walking our kennel dogs! If you'd like to volunteer too:
https://rescueremedies.wufoo.com/forms/ ... tionnaire/

dymphnae

Post by dymphnae »

How lovely to hear that Louie is getting to know other dogs at the kennels and he’s responding well to safe encounters. His foster break was such a success we hope it won’t be long before his forever family come along. Thank you to everyone who has welcomed him back to Gatwick in such a positive way, he’s such a dear dog who is loved by many of us.

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick »

Dear Louie had such fun today in the river he ran up and down biting the water and dipping his head in. Then we went to the paddock for some zoomies and some serious cuddles. If you stroke Louie between his eyes he closes them and looks to be having a sleep. He has a lot of friends now and is good at meeting new people. Louie would be such a happy boy if he had a home of his own, let’s hope it’s not too long now. I can imagine him with a quiet home and loving owners who will give him time to settle in then enjoy all the love he has to give.

Return to “Our Outstanding Other Dogs (Rescueremedies.co.uk)”