Genie Ambull DofB 31.10.16 Guildford Kenns

Rjackson

Re: Genie Ambull DofB 31.10.16 Guildford Kenns

Post by Rjackson »

Jack and I met Terry and Genie out on a walk today and Genie showed Jack his doggie skills. Genie is great around other dogs and has a great bond with his uncle Terry. Xx

ektaylor

Post by ektaylor »

Genie pupdate:
Gene with Rach opt.jpg
Mr. Gene has been doing so so well with getting to know new walker Rachel. Today I went into his kennel first and got him dressed, then Rachel came in to put on his leads and out they went together. I then grabbed Ferdy and we all went for a really lovely walk.

Rachel has been getting to know Genie for about 4 months now, so he really does need to take it slow when getting to know people. This is our process so far and I hope will show potential owners, or new walkers the time he needs to trust you:

1) Walk out with him with one of his named walkers for about 4-5 goes. Genie is now always muzzled out on his walks. To get Gene's muzzle on, I pass a small bit of gravy bone through a hole and say "muzzle" whilst he is putting his nose in. Whilst on the walk, the new walkers should not try to touch him, but if he gives you a sniff or a nose boop tell him he's a good boy and his named walker will give him a treat.
2) Once he is comfortable in your presence, slowly pass over the leads to the new walker. Genie has a brilliant sit and this will play a good part in gaining his trust and focus. Don't have your face too close to his as he has been known to jump up if he feels uncomfortable. Have the named walker give him treats. Long sausage treats are best at the beginning of the process as his muzzle makes it a bit tricky to get larger treats like gravy bones in. Do this however many times it takes for the new walker to feel like they could happily walk Genie on their own. Always go at Gene's pace, once he knows you he is very affectionate, but to begin with he won't like being overly fussed. He is quite sensitive around his neck, he will lean in for cuddles when he is ready.
3) Then, walk Genie out with other dogs. Genie does prefer being in front, so pick a dog that doesn't mind plodding behind. Gene is NOT a fast walker bless him hahaha. The named walker must still be dressing him at this point. Gene has always been worried about the clip on the harness being done up, so this needs to be done by someone he really trusts.
4) By this point, Gene is trusting the new walker and this is clear as he really wags his tail in their presence and is relaxed on the lead on the walks. Have the named walker dress Genie (muzzle and harness) and then have the named walker come out of the kennel. The new walker can then go into Gene's kennel clip on his leads and exit on their own. This is a good test because the new walker will have to rotate the collar to attach the lead onto it, Gene is worried about hands around his neck, so this is a good way to tell if you are going in the right direction.

This is where Rachel is now in the Genie introduction phase. Rachel has also been in the paddock with Genie, where he doesn't wear his muzzle, and has played ball with him. *Gene CANNOT have boomer balls! Tennis balls are fine, but Boomer balls send him bananas!*
It has taken so long to get here as we are only volunteers. Meeting Genie everyday would make this process far quicker.

Moving on from here, I'd be looking to eventually have the new walker muzzle and harness Genie on their own. In a home environment, the muzzle and a trailing lead will act as good tools to help him settle. The aim would be to have him totally naked in the house, and then fully dressed outside.

Genie is a wonderfully complex doggo who I adore. I really hope he finds a forever home who have plenty of big dog exerience who can provide Genie with a life where he can relax and enjoy being a dog.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Rjackson

Post by Rjackson »

bighug.gif
A70DB9EE-4AB2-49E2-B360-71D4304D80EB.jpeg
545C2D70-5F7F-4059-8DBB-5F8454D03D37.jpeg
CB3A20BE-0F8D-4E78-8968-64E6C25BFABC.jpeg
023AFBD1-7CFC-44A7-AE7B-36092F1269A2.jpeg

Rjackson

Post by Rjackson »

love4.gif
Evie has been inducting me with Genie for several months now and we have been going at his pace which is so important when getting to know him.

Today Genie was happy for me to go into his kennel and put his muzzle and leads on. He was so good. Lots of treats, sit and find the treat in his kennel.

We then left the kennel and went for a lovely long walk and Genie was amazing. Such a sensitive, affectionate boy who I have become very fond of.

Moving to Gatwick will be stressful for him so he will need time to settle. Looking forward to walk Mr G again and thanks to Evie for an amazing induction it made all the difference.

❤️❤️

Rjackson

Post by Rjackson »

860DFCC5-652F-4003-AB0F-A996B1F8EA1A.jpeg
B350FBE5-A05B-47FF-BD5C-246B3E13AB9F.jpeg
AB048CB7-9486-474A-9BF7-0799BA14C82B.jpeg
CFDDC6EB-8502-4559-B430-4A8D0A95D035.jpeg
4EDE3E3F-6436-4619-948E-53593E053B91.jpeg

nada.c

Post by nada.c »

Genie enjoyed his walk with volunteer Rachel on Saturday ☺️

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
We love walking our kennel dogs! If you'd like to volunteer too:
https://rescueremedies.wufoo.com/forms/ ... tionnaire/

Rjackson

Post by Rjackson »

Heart fill with love.gif]
8E4FC4C8-3874-4305-A3DE-9BBF25951F5C.jpeg

Rjackson

Post by Rjackson »

Genie has been totally amazing with me as one of his new walkers. He has recently moved to Gatwick kennels so a new environment for him. He was pleased to see me and was easy to muzzle and such a good boy on his walk.

Genie has really benefited from slow inductions but once he trusts you he’s such an affectionate loving boy. Love big G ❤️❤️

Return to “Our Amazing American Bulldogs (Ambulldogrescue.co.uk)”