Ron (Ronnie) Tricolour Fell terrier 10.07 Hitchin Hearts

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
Rescue Remedies

Ron (Ronnie) Tricolour Fell terrier 10.07 Hitchin Hearts

Post by Rescue Remedies »

Originally posted by xxlynne on Apr 20, 2008 1:46 pm

10th September 2018: Little Ron was put to sleep this morning. He passed very peacefully.
Unknown.jpeg
Ron's Thread below:
Ronnie's story: Ronnie with his brother Reggie has just come into rescue as they lived in a very rural setting and had begun chasing sheep. Ronnie is the smaller of the 2 and lucky to be fostered with helen..and foster sister Bella and foster brother Jasper. All intial comments have been good..and housetraining under review.

by Helen on 21 Apr 2008 01:39 pm

Please meet Ronnie:

Investigating the garden - excuse the grass, the lawnmower is broken!

Eating tea with the other dogs (in my messy utility room)

It's all too much - zonked out at the end of the day

Ronnie arrived on Friday night - a bit smelly and full of beans! He is very small - probably only 10 inches to the shoulder, and has the most adorable expressive face you can imagine - I don't think he will be in foster for long.

He has bonded very quickly with me and it is like having a little shadow - he is always at your heels and follows me everywhere – even into the bathroom! He interacts well with Bella and Jasper and they have had a few games of chase and tug. He did try getting amorous with Bella, but she sorted him out with just a look!

He loves his toys and chews - however, he is not possessive and allows you to take them from him, even the chews. His favourite toy is a green ball that he found in the toy basket. He gives to you, sits and waits for you to throw it and then brings it back - he will keep doing this as long as you keep throwing - I had had enough after a marathon 40 minute session on Sunday afternoon, so hid it (he did get it back though)!

His house training is coming on - he is associating going outside with having wees/poos. He has had a couple of accidents in the house when he has got excited and forgotten where the back door is. But other than that, I make sure he goes out regularly, particularly after meals and after snoozes.

He is clean at night and sleeps until the alarm goes off - which is lovely! We had a lazy day on Saturday and he enjoyed having a lie-in with the other dogs - all three of them on the bed didn’t really leave much room for me!!

He is OK on the lead, he does pull, but as he is so little its not too bad – he walked with Jasper and was very good walking side-by side. I will be working with him on the lead this week to get him walking to heel a little better. We met one other dog on our walk and he had a bit of a bark at it, but stopped when told "No". He knows "sit" and his name, but that is about it, so a bit more training in that area would be good.

He's a really lovely little chap who, I am sure, will find a home quickly.
Rescue Remedies_2

Re: Ron (Ronnie) Tricolour Fell terrier 10.07 Hitchin Hearts

Post by Rescue Remedies_2 »

xxlynne 23 Apr 2008 08:12 am

Helen has fostered for HOPE in the past. She is beginning to look for her 3rd dog and somehow found herself offering to foster Ronnie. Hurrah for Ronnie!
Rescue Remedies_2

Mow 23 Apr 2008 08:45 am

:lol: He is gorgeous I love the wrinkled brow.
Rescue Remedies_2

Helen 23 Apr 2008 10:14 am

Ronnie has settled in really well.

He is getting on well with the other dogs - they have had a couple of tiffs over who is allowed to sit next to me on the sofa - Bella won, followed by Jasper, leaving Ronnie to sit the furthest away!

However, he gets his revenge, as Bella and Jasper retire to bed at about 8pm, so Ronnie has me all to himself :D

He is now clean during the day and at night.

He's a really smashing little chap.
Rescue Remedies_2

Helen 24 Apr 2008 08:59 am

Ronnie went to the stables last night.

He was an angel in the car and slept in his crate the whole way.

He was a bit barky at the horses, but soon settled. He met lots of people, although he was a bit overwhelmed at all the fuss, he soon decided that people other than his foster-Mum were OK.

He also met Ruby, Kate's JRT bitch. They had a whale of a time running around and playing, although Ronnie was confined to the extendy-lead!.

He was exhausted when he got home - had his tea, and promptly crashed out for the rest of the evening - not a peep.

Sad news though :( . His beloved squeaky ball has lost its squeak - probably due to someone who was fed up of hearing it sticking a sharp object into the squeaker :twisted:
Rescue Remedies_2

Mow 24 Apr 2008 09:46 am

:lol: That happens to Snowy and Mollys balls it's curious isn't it........
Rescue Remedies_2

Helen 29 Apr 2008 09:21 am

Following the demise of Ronnie's squeaky ball, he has now decided that my socks are a better play thing and he has been keeping me amused by playing stalking and catch games with his new toy. He really is comical when he starts playing. He and Jasper are also now competing for the fastest "wall of death" round the sitting room - I think Jasper has the edge as he has his route down to perfection as he incorporates running behind the big sofa and out the other side, something which still confuses Ronnie as I don't think he realises there is a gap behind that sofa.

He is now out with the other dogs during the day and he has been behaving beautifully - he has fitted in well with their routine and I am sure the three of them troop up the stairs to bed the minute I have left the house!

He has finally bonded with Jasper, or rather Jasper has finally decided that Ronnie is OK and is now happy to sit with him on the sofa and eat from the same bowl. The only downside is that I now have to share the big sofa with both Ronnie and Jasper and there isn't a lot of room left for me!

His housetraining is coming on a treat - we have had no accidents since Friday. When he goes out, I always tell him "go wee-wees" and he trots off and finds a bit of grass and does the deed, even when he doesn't really need to go, he manages to squeeze out a dribble and comes back in looking very pleased with himself.

He has a touch of kennel cough at the moment - after a bout of coughing, he has to come for a cuddle - he makes little noises as you cuddle him - it's almost like it is his version of purring, so cute!
Rescue Remedies_2

Helen 07 May 2008 11:17 am

Ronnie met my Mother this weekend. He was very good and decided that she was a nice person as she gave him some treats while practising his sit command.

However, he was not so appreciative of her very flowery dressing gown. When she appeared at the sitting room door wearing it he growled and barked and wouldn't go anywhere near her until she took it off :lol: I obviously have a very fasion-conscious dog :shock:

He has been helping in the garden this weekend - supervising the lawnmowing and assisting with the planting of bedding - well, I planted them and he dug them up! He has also been sunbathing and has joined Bella on the patio for some shut-eye in the sun.

His lead training is coming along. I have bought him a harness and he bounces along at the end of the lead, this needs a bit more work though as he still pulls.

He also met our neighbour's dog out on our walks and although he barked at it, there was no aggression and he happily submitted to strokes from the dog's owner. He is going on a playdate this week with my friend's JRT as I want to try and get him meeting as many other dogs as possible.
Rescue Remedies_2

xxlynne 18 May 2008 10:05 pm

Ronnie went away for the weekend to a potential new Mum but her Jack Russell wasn't very pleased with idea when the suitcase arrived :? ....anyway she gave him a long wave as Ronnie got into the car to head back to Helen's then closed the door firmly behind her with a little smile suddenly coming on her face! :wink:
Rescue Remedies_2

Helen 20 May 2008 04:14 pm

Yes, Ronnie has returned :D

He bounced into the house on Sunday night and settled down as if he had never been away!

Poor Kate was very upset, and very cross at Ruby for being such a bad girl. In fact, she said she felt like giving me Ruby and keeping Ronnie! He was such a good boy while he was there, but Ruby just was not prepared to accept him

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”