Ruby (Bertha) Staffie x DofB ?2011 - 2019

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
xxlynne

Ruby (Bertha) Staffie x DofB ?2011 - 2019

Post by xxlynne »

BerthaSR.jpg
Sadly Penny & Keith let us know that Ruby died in her sleep over night on Friday the 4th January. She had a wonderful day Friday so such a shock for them to find her at Peace
Bertha.jpg
Ruby's thread below:
Current Status: HOMED
Ruby's Story : Found stray/abandoned & unclaimed within a North London council pound: Rescue Remedies offered a Rescue place saving her life. Ruby is now neutered, chipped and fully vaccinated. Ruby became very ill waiting to come into us. She recovered from pneumonia whilst in our care in her foster home in New Romney, and is now ready for her forever family.
Bertha14.jpg
PLEASE NOTE: Dog laws have changed with zero public tolerance and prejudice against bull breeds and terriers. Our Rescue asks new owners to maintain dogs on lead in public spaces, and manage and support encounters so as not to place dog's lives at risk, (Destruction or Control Orders are common place nowadays).

***PLEASE HELP OUR LONG STAY DOGS: Our min. adoption donation £175, which supports our work and Is non returnable. We will offer an alternative dog should our dog not settle given adequate time and reassurance. Rescue Remedies offers their dogs back up for life and exist on the goodwill of our supporters and volunteers.

Please click for Bertha's thread for regular updates, new pictures and videos. To apply to home a dog, you must be ready within 7 days and complete a homing questionnaire submitted Online We work fast to secure our dogs their loving homes and can be talking to up to 10 families at any one time. Please remain open: We have the dogs we have. Our dogs need a supportive family to offer patience, time & tolerance to allow them to settle.
Bertha11.jpg
Bertha5.jpg
Ruby's progress through our Rescue below
Original Referral information : We work with our dogs & often reveal a different picture & positive skills as they build trust. Adam has asked us to support Ruby hoping she will pull through her acute illness.
Bertha36.jpg
xxlynne

Re: Bertha Staffie x DofB ?2011 Our vets

Post by xxlynne »

Bertha has been very flat and the vet I spoke to yesterday explained she wasnt eating, but drinking. She was receiving intravenous drugs, and has an intravenous drip still inserted. Tomorrow if no improvement we will have to make a decision whether we think an intensive programme will benefit her or better to let her go.

This morning Mark said she came through the night, much the same, still cant really stand, and he would Xray her to see her lungs.

The afternoon Mark reported she had eaten a little and he lungs showed pneumonia. They are heartened she has eaten and held it down.
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Bertha.jpg
Bertha12.jpg
Bertha25.jpg
Bertha36.jpg
Yes she has pulled through Message from Gemma the vet nurse in our vets surgery

Hi Aunty Lynne,

I feel a bit better today. I now walk outside and I am eating and drinking.
I am still very sick but Gemma thought you would like an update and some pictures!

Love from Bertha
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Bertha is improving every day. She is standing up in her kennel and has enjoyed 2 lovely but short walks today 'using' them each time. She is eating a little high quality food (Freshly roasted chicken) and keeping her food and tablets down. She still has a hearty cough but is bringing up the heavy phlegm off her chest. Very happy to still have her with us and with the progress she is making.
anne

Re: Bertha Staffie x DofB ?2011 Gatwick Kenns

Post by anne »

Louise and I had the pleasure of meeting Bertha today. Bertha is the just so lovely. She is soft and friendly and calm and well, just very huggable and gorgeous. Louise sat with her for a while having lovely cuddles and feeding her some of her lunch. Then we took her for a little walk along the lane. She is a bit wobbly because she is still very underweight and has little muscle strength in her back legs but all that will get better. We smiled because she started walking next to Louise and then realised she had two walkers with her so she moved and walked between us clearly enjoying the fuss we were making of her. She posed so beautifully for some photos. Look at her, you just want to cuddle that big, soft, scrumptious head of hers. love4.gif
DSCF2169.jpgbertha.jpg
DSCF2173.jpgbertha.jpg
DSCF2174.jpgbertha.jpg
DSCF2179.jpgbertha.jpg
DSCF2182.jpgbertha.jpg
DSCF2184.jpgbertha.jpg
DSCF2186.jpgbertha.jpg
DSCF2177.jpgbertha.jpg
anne

Re: Bertha Staffie x DofB ?2011 Gatwick Kenns

Post by anne »

Bertha shared her walk with Ringo this morning. She was immediately attracted to Ringo and plodded over to say hello. Ringo initially played it cool but fell quickly for her charms and the two walked shoulder to shoulder like a sweet couple, stopping to greet and sniff every so often. love4.gif love4.gif
DSCF2338.jpgbertharingo.jpg
DSCF2339.jpgbertharingo.jpg
DSCF2340.jpgbertharingo.jpg
DSCF2342.jpgbertharingo.jpg
DSCF2343.jpgbertharingo.jpg
DSCF2345.jpgbertharingo.jpg
DSCF2348.jpgbertharingo.jpg
DSCF2353.jpgbertha.jpg
DSCF2354.jpgbertha.jpg
johnfowle

Re: Bertha Staffie x DofB ?2011 New Romney Temp foster

Post by johnfowle »

Bertha has arrived in New Romney for a few weeks recuperation. She is such a friendly girl and always greets you with a wagging tail. She loves her ball and enjoys a gentle tug with a "tuggy thing". We were told she only eats roast chicken and roast beef....well, she appears to eat most meals set before her....cottage pie, casseroled beef with lovely thick gravy and mixed vegetables and even good quality dry mixer. I'm amazed how well she walks after being unable to move for the first few days in rescue. Yes, she wobbles a bit, but still wanders round the garden and has a good sniff in all the beds. She is on regular antibiotics as she still has a nasty productive cough and has regular checks with Mark in Westerham. She has come a long way in rescue, thanks to Mark and to Lynne for giving her a second chance in LIFE.

All the walkers love her, but she doesn't go out with them yet....no more than five minutes in the garden every couple of hours or so for her to "perform" after her frequent small meals.....she is so thin....but that can be sorted out along with her pneumonia over time.

Bertha is a delight and, when fully recovered, will make some lucky family/couple very happy.
johnfowle

Post by johnfowle »

Bertha went for a check up last Thursday and, sadly, Mark was not pleased with her of progress. She was coughing and spluttering as he tried to listen to her breathing and tried to bring up the nasty green sputum which she has done since her arrival. In some respects I was pleased she did so in his presence so he could make an assessment of her from his own experience rather than trying to assess her from my explanation. She is on a further supply of Cehalexin and this has been augmented by Antirobe and she goes back to see the vet in ten days time.

But there is good news....within three days of her starting on the combined medication, the coughing, spluttering and retching have all but stopped; now, whether that is the Antirobe or the continuing use of the Cephalexin I just don't know, but there is definitely an improvement. And, although she still wobbles around on her back legs, this is not so pronounced and, today we decided to take her for a brief walk outside the garden for the first time, down to the little grassy area at the end of the road where she had more nice new smells....she loved it!

Bertha is such a happy girl; she always has a waggy tail and welcomes you into her room with real enthusiasm. Mark was very pleased with her overall appearance , she eats very well and has put on weight....so I am confident now that she is on the road to recovery, but we have all got to be patient and allow her time to regain her health.
Last edited by johnfowle on Sat 31 Mar 2018 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
johnfowle

Post by johnfowle »

Bertha went for two short walks yesterday and enjoyed her time sniffing and snuffling alongside the canal. She found the second one just a little too much and her coughing came back last evening. But better, again, this morning and the effect, of course, is that it moves the mucus which might otherwise remain in her lungs....so it could be positive, so long as the situation is monitored closely.

Generally, however, Bertha continues to improve slowly and is a truly affectionate girl. She goes back to see the vet, Mark, next Tuesday....he told me last week that, should Lynne not have taken her on the day she did, Bertha would definitely not have survived the night....the girl has certainly come a long way since then.
johnfowle

Post by johnfowle »

It's been a lovely day down here and Sylvie has been preparing the vegetable patch....helped and hindered by the dear girl, Bertha. Bertha just loves being out in the garden, wagging her tail and doing her very best to chase after anything which moves. She really does struggle with her balance and her back legs tend to let her down quite regularly but, I'm pleased to say that her coughing and spluttering seem to be improving by the day....there are some days when she rarely has a problem, but others when she tries to bring up the mucus on her lungs with little success. Occasionally she catches sight of Shadow and Precious in the annex and tries to see them off before going back to mooching around and spending yet more time in the sun. We only allow her about twenty minutes each time she goes out, whether it be in the garden or for a walk down to the park at the end of the road....she finds that's enough at the moment.

She eats like a horse, but has four small meals a day and is putting on weight slowly.

She goes to see Mark again next Tuesday when I hope he will be more pleased with her progress....I'll let you know!

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”