Rowan Staffie DofB 09.05.08 - 08.05.21

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
John

Re: Rowan Staffie DofB 09.05.08 Littlehampton

Post by John »

Hi Jo Jo and Rowan. I am always especially interested to see updates on Rowan after our early contacts. I think I had just started fostering Kyla. We both became failed fosterers!
What a journey you have been on together. A real love story. I don’t think he could have had a better home with anyone. Good luck to you all. :panting_dog-119.gif:
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

When I think of Rowan I think of a lunchtime I spent with him and kennel staff at Godstone. They would pick a dog to join them on lunch break and Rowan wasn't a keen walker so he often got the lunchtime spot! He was making us laugh at all his antics and coming to each of us for cuddles. To read of his 4 years since then and all the progresses he has made always fills my heart with joy! Kiss of love.gif
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
JoJoPrice

Post by JoJoPrice »

So Rowan has been to the vet in May as he has more lumps appeared and I wanted to get them checked.
It was socially distanced in the car park, and this actually suited Rowan as he just thought Vicki (the vet) was there just to stroke him and we all didn't have the stress of actually trying to get him in the room with her.
We all spoke about the lumps, and decided that unless they got bigger we wouldn't have them investigated as the one on his tail he would have to be sedated for and it's just all too stressful for him, especially when we have decided that we wouldn't put him through an operation at his grand age of 13!
He has muscle wastage in his back legs and now has a limp, so is on pain killers and joint supplements, but he still enjoys 2/3 walks a days although doesn't go far.

He continues to be the loving boy he has always been, the bond and affection he shows towards me is in fact remarkable. I am his human and he has to be with me. If he can see me then he needs to be near, to the point if he wakes up and I'm not around he gets anxious. So I have now started waking him up if I go out when he is asleep so he can see me go and then settle.

From a dog that I would say "Cat Napped" when we first got him, to a boy that doesn't even wake when we come home, so he doesn't hear the door or is so relaxed, cosy and happy that he doesn't feel the need to constantly be alert.

He is now deaf (or very selective hearing) I have to clap to get his attention and due to this he is now more an on lead dog than off. When we first got him, we took him to enclosures off lead to test his recall and it was pretty much 100%, he always trotted a step in front of me, looking back every 5 seconds to check I was still there. Stopped at roads when I called his name etc .... Now I am just worried he won't hear the traffic and something tragic would happen that I would never forgive myself for, so he has the extender lead with a bit of slack but he just plods next to me until we get to the field.

We took him camping in a campervan this year, however it was the hottest week on record at 35 degrees!!! We all struggled including Rowan, although he didn't want to get wet in the paddling pool. We wer lucky the motorhome stayed cool so he stayed in there and was such a good boy, although he will stay with Mum next year as was very poorly with the heat coming home.
He loves camping as nothing changes for him, he even has a sofa when we are in camping chairs lol.gif

He has also started being anxious with his food, won't eat. Looks at it and whines, gets on the sofa and whines (looking at it) until I go and hand feed him and he then decides he will eat it. All very odd as if he didn't like it, then he wouldn't eat it from my hand ...... So I have no idea unless he is just having senior moments

Here are a few recent pictures from camping
Rowan Leg.jpeg
Rowan Rolling.jpeg
Rowan Roll.jpeg
Rowan Sofa 1.jpeg
Rowan Sofa 2.jpeg
Rowan Sofa.jpeg
anne

Post by anne »

Love his camping sofa. So glad he is being spoilt rotten. it's nothing less than he deserves. x
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Love his heart ....fabulous update Kiss of love.gif
Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum »

Aw Jo, thanks for loving Rowan, I remember him when he first arrived at the Godstone kennels, with his rich, orange brindle coat. He's has a lovely life with you, and we give our oldies what they need bighug.gif Kiss of love.gif
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit and like our Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3303557299925949/
https://www.facebook.com/rescueremediesdogrescue/
mandyandmike

Post by mandyandmike »

Bless him he`s a dear little sensitive soul. He looks very comfy and pampered on his camping sofa, just how it should be! :smiley-bounce016.gi:
Julieh

Post by Julieh »

Bless his little heart . I think Staffies are wonderful at every age ,but when they become seniors they are the most wonderful little souls .Gorgeous little man , 🥰🥰
JoJoPrice

Post by JoJoPrice »

Elliesmum wrote: Thu 20 Aug 2020 18:11 Aw Jo, thanks for loving Rowan, I remember him when he first arrived at the Godstone kennels, with his rich, orange brindle coat. He's has a lovely life with you, and we give our oldies what they need bighug.gif Kiss of love.gif
Aww Teressa, its not bright anymore with ginger, it's grey, even his paws are grey .....He is definitely a silver fox Kiss of love.gif
MandaTK

Post by MandaTK »

Oh I love the pics of Rowan. Such a gorgeous wonderful boy. Thanks Jojo for the pics and hope that Rowan stays well. Give him a hug from me xxxx

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”