Huxley (Jaffa) Staffie DOB 2010? - 02.11.18

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
Luella

Re: Huxley (Jaffa) Staffie DOB 2010? Ripe, Lewes East Sussex

Post by Luella »

A friend of ours who adopted a prone to wind RR staffie changed her on to Wagg dry food (not expensive) and if solved the problem very quickly. We were down in Lewes in our caravan with our RR staffie Lucy 2 weeks ago but came home early due to the rain & dreadful storms. Lovely area. Love to Hux
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

...staffys are prone to sensitive skin and tums ....could you try a raw diet ????natures diet do a great range and isnt expensive ....lovely updates love4.gif
Chrissy M

Post by Chrissy M »

Lovely photos, I see he has settled with your cat :0) he was very nervous, so glad to see he is relaxing more in your care.You can see in his eyes he's a much happier dog !
charlienelle

Post by charlienelle »

He has been on wagg dry food with some raw offaly mince from butchers occasionally.

I had a chat with the guys in the dog food shop and they recommended Arden grange senior, so I bought a big sack of that and a few packs of natures diet sensitive. We shall see if it helps with our gas issue!
charlienelle

Post by charlienelle »

So another update.

Our little dude Huxley is doing well. I’ve stepped up his training a little and he’s keen to learn and is clicker trained, and can do a good army crawl and is most of the way towards learning play-dead. On Saturday I took Hux and Kane to my parents’ house for lunch. I was a little nervous taking both dogs as my aging grandmother was there and I was worried that one of them might knock her over with their exuberant greeting styles, but they were both remarkably well behaved. Huxley especially just roamed with my mother’s spaniels and grandma’s westie and made everyone smile. In the evening I went to a work barbeque and decided that to make my evening more manageable to only take Huxley as I hadn’t been to the person’s house before and I didn’t want to be wrangling dogs all evening.
Hux & I @ Family Lunch:
Hux posing at Newhaven Port:
Hux and I on a random walk:

We arrived and Hux spent the first hour or so on a lead being passed round and made a fuss of. I began to realise that keeping him on the lead without knocking over drinks/tangling in chair legs was actually requiring most of the effort. I decided to let him off and for the next 5 or so hours he pottered about from person to person making friends, receiving love and cuddles. A couple of leather footballs were presented to him which he enjoyed retrieving (although he wasn’t so keen to hand them over on return). He would come and check in with me every 10-15 minutes and if I ever was concerned as to his whereabouts I would simply give him a whistle and I’d hear the familiar jangling of his collar before his happy little face would come round the corner.

Surprisingly and somewhat amusingly around 1am a new behaviour reared it’s head. Huxley started mounting people’s legs. We hadn’t seen any mounting behaviour since day 1 and that was directed towards our other dog, but we think it’s an over-excitement reaction, as at that point in the evening people were a little merrier and more dancing was happening. Initially his affection was geared towards one individual, much to everyone else’s amusement but after a short while he became indiscriminate in his choice of victim. Still he didn’t make any enemies and has a larger stronger fan-club.
On Tuesday the weather was scorching and I was pottering around trying to work out what to do with myself and on a whim loaded Hux into the car and popped down to Newhaven West Beach. We parked up and wandered for a while down the seafront. There were lots of other dogs about, and after being checked over by a fluffy german shepherd pup we hit the waterline. Hux has clearly never been to the beach before. He got to the cool, wet pebbles and immediately rolled onto his back, not aware that the waves were coming. They lapped at him, giving him a shock and making him jump but he soon got used to it and we went for a wee paddle together.

Things are going well  Not much in the way of new photos but I was playing around with polaroid swing app and got some short videos, one of Hux having a paddle and one of him drying off.

https://polaroidswing.com/p/92bbaeb0-4d ... 9ba3fe91b0

https://polaroidswing.com/p/5453c580-4d ... 991e6b469e
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

Wonderful update, your love for Huxley shines through is everything you write about him. It sounds like he is having the time of his life with you, (I have know plenty of humans who get a bit amorous later at a party :D ). Thank you so much for giving him the loving home he so deserves. :thanks.gif:
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
charlienelle

Post by charlienelle »

9 and a half month update:
Things are well, Huxley remains much more confident. He only has the occasional ‘flashback’ moment when he becomes randomly anxious but generally he’s a delight. He had a brief Houdini phase where he discovered and exploited the weak-points in our secure garden which have now been reinforced! I had the pleasure of taking him to the pub with my parents for a meal and he was very well behaved and received lots of attention from staff and punters alike (One waitress said he looks like the happiest dog in the world, which was about the best compliment he’s had!) and got a couple of chips at the end of our meal. We had largely turned a corner in terms of toilet training until the recent cold weather drew a close to the back door being open all night, so we are experiencing the inevitable adjustment period, but we are trying to get them out for a bedtime walk when we can! We have also dug out the various jumpers and raincoats which he had for his first few months with us when it was cold and his fur was patchy so he keeps nice and snuggly when it’s chilly.
Huxley’s digestion/wind problem is officially a thing of the past. I’ve been keeping him on relatively expensive digestive-care foods but now things are settled I’m going to experiment with foods that lie somewhere between Wagg and Arden Grange in terms of price. He continues to behave on walks. I’ve tried him off-lead in very-big fields and he does have a bit of a habit of trying to run off sometimes but I’ve always managed to either get him to come back or catch him before he gets into the next field. He still gets on very well with other dogs, he always wants to approach to say hello but never in an aggressive way. When walking past badly behaved barky dogs Huxley is great, tending to give a glance but walking on by without getting involved. Much better at walking to heel. I tend to go out with both dogs on one 2m double ended training lead clipped together and when we get to a field I release them both together and they trot around enjoying the sights and smells. Anyway, a long overdue update and here are the obligatory photographs:

Chrissy M

Post by Chrissy M »

Looking good Huxley ! Big hugs mylove.gif
Chris86

Post by Chris86 »

Lovely update on Hux! Great to see his progress and how happy he's looking, he's come such a long way from the scared boy that first came into rescue. Thanks for giving Huxley such a loving home! thumbs.gif
charlienelle

Post by charlienelle »

I realise it's been over 6 months since my last update. Hux is pretty much settled in. We think he'll never be a fully off lead dog as he still has his occasional anxious running away moments but he's happy and healthy.

Easter Bunny:

Enjoying the sunshine with a friend and his daughter

Stylised Portrait of Lord Huxley

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”