RR Seamus (could do with your thoughts on Nov 5th)

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
Ruthi

RR Seamus (could do with your thoughts on Nov 5th)

Post by Ruthi »

Lynne came to see us one Friday evening SEVEN years ago, with Seamus in the back of her car, and somehow she left without him!

He's led a full life, but seen rather more of vets than he would ideally like. And it hasn't let up. We went recently to have his routine thyroid blood test, and I mentioned how he wasn't rushing around the forest as much, and had taken to destroying stuff when left, even though he had his little mate Jimmy there. She immediately thought eyesight and hearing, and was able to see that he has cataracts forming. She sent us home to assess his hearing ourselves, and sadly he is really quite deaf, only hearing us if we raise our voices slightly. My proud independent semi-wild dog has taken to following me around like a little lamb, lest he misses something.

Seamus is less than nine, but his complex history (hypothyroid, then thyroid cancer, arthritis, a heart murmur from thickened valves, adder bite, slipped disc - and now recently tested B12 deficient plus all this!) has turned him physically into an old dog well before his time. Mentally, of course, he still thinks of himself as a lean, mean, hunting machine, and I still would not trust him around anything small and non-dog!

Please send him some happy outcome vibes for Wednesday morning when the Royal Vet School will assess him for cataract surgery!

In better days

Wander Woman

Re: RR Seamus (could do with your thoughts on Nov 5th)

Post by Wander Woman »

Thinking of you, beautiful Seamus. :smiley-gen132.gif:
staffylevi

Post by staffylevi »

Good luck for Wednesday Seamus... you've been through so much already I'm sure you'll be just fine!! :smiley-gen132.gif:
Doin' it for the staffies ...
nina

Post by nina »

Good luck for Wednesday, I am sure it will be a worrying day, but hopefully with a positive outcome. Let us know how things go. Will be thinking of you x
Ruthi

Post by Ruthi »

Well we had an interesting day at the RVC - what a fabulous facility!

The astoundingly good news is that there is nothing wrong with Seamus's vision :smiley-bounce016.gi: :smiley-bounce016.gi: :smiley-dance017.gif: :smiley-dance017.gif: :smiley-dance017.gif: :smiley-dance017.gif: :smiley-dance017.gif: . He does have age-related longsightedness, and in some dogs the hardened lens causes a bluish tinge which our vet obviously mistook for a cataract.

He is going deaf, though, so its buzzy collars and hand signals while he can still hear to learn about them. And his B12 deficiency remains a mystery, but at least that is treatable.
staffylevi

Post by staffylevi »

Fantastic news!! :smiley-dance010.gif:
Doin' it for the staffies ...
nina

Post by nina »

So very pleased with your news...my daughter graduated from the RVC ...They do a wonderful job. Xx
Ladylou

Post by Ladylou »

Great news about Seamus. :biggrin.gif:
Ruthi

Post by Ruthi »

Just a little update on Seamus.

His hearing actually improved slightly a few months ago, and he can hear squeaky talking and the whistle, so can still toddle around off lead. But we had a nasty bout of spinal pain in the summer, the result of running around with new lurcher Reggie (a friend pulled him out of a no homecheck, no vet 'rescue' but couldn't keep him). So now poor Seamus is on a cocktail of painkillers.

Then a few days ago we noticed brief periods of holding his head on one side and occasional brief circling. The vet thinks vestibular disease, and that coupled with his absent moment means another medication - vivitonin. The head tilt has improved, but I can't say I have noticed him being any more with it!

Not yet ten, and he is old and doddery. Its so unfair! But we make his life as happy as we can and he still enjoys gentle walks, and loves his grub!
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Such a lovely photo of seamus :smiley-gen132.gif: so sad he has so many problems :smiley-sad010.gif: ......as long as he is still enjoying life :D thats all that matters ....dogs dont have time concept like us which is a blessing :smiley-gen132.gif:

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”