Rusty Boxer x DDB DOB 2012 - 28.03.19

In loving memory ...
xxlynne

Rusty Boxer x DDB DOB 2012 - 28.03.19

Post by xxlynne » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:55 pm

Current Status: Homed
Rusty32.JPG
Hello Lynne, a further update...

Sadly, the MRI showed that the whole of the right side of his brain was badly affected by the tumour and the advice of the vet was that the only kind thing to do was to let him go. Alex and her boyfriend were with him at the end. He could not have been move loved, thank you for letting us care for our gorgeous handsome and loving Rusty who just ADORED Alex as she did him.

Liz xx
Rusty.jpg
Rusty's thread below:
Rusty needs a supportive family to offer time and tolerance to allow their new dog to settle. Rusty needs a family who are affirming and can gradually build his skill base and with that confidence. Rusty is good with meeting dogs. NB Our Rescue asks owners to maintain dogs on lead in public spaces and manage encounters, as dog law changes place dog's lives at greater risk.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Known background: Rusty was found stray/abandoned and unclaimed within a council pound. We stepped forwards to offer a Rescue place. Rusty has been building his confidence over past few years. He is neutered, chipped and vaccinated. Rusty was in Guildford Kenns and enjoyed a week's foster.

Rusty is a Boxer x with the feel, size and temperament of a Boxer and flame orange brindle coat. Rusty had a sad past, now behind him as our volunteers have befriended him and given him hope and built trust. Rusty leans into you & hides his head to cuddle up. Only pet home. Experienced boxer or larger bull breed family with empathy & a heart will enjoy meeting this kind soul. Pleasure

Visit Rusty's thread for daily updates, lots of pictures and videos. Please click to submit Online Application We will match you with a dog that suits your lifestyle, please remain open we successfully home 350 dogs per annum. We work fast to secure our dogs their loving homes.

***PLEASE HELP: We have to ask for suggested min. donation £175 at the time of adoption, to support so many dogs in kennels. We have no state sponsorship and exist on the goodwill of the public and our supporters. Rescue Remedies offers their dogs back up for life.
Rusty33.JPG
Rusty44.JPG
Rusty15.JPG
Rusty40.jpg
See Rusty's Thread Below. Watch his progress through our Rescue.
Original Referral Details: Please remember this is the information we received from the referrer. Once a dog is with us and we begin to work with them and unpack them they can and often do reveal positive skills trust and transform behaviours[ 29th July 2014 Rusty is a very frightened boy, he was found stray very frightened. This week I have begun meeting him and Adam is showing Rusty that I am safe. Today I got much further than before. Adam lifted him into the travel crate and I chatted to him as we drove to lee valley reserve. We spent 30 mins in the car park with Rusty looking out. At one point a couple came by and they fed him the treats I had. He growls when he is nervous and you see it come within his body language and eyes. He is messaging and needs to be listened to as he was then out of his comfort zone. I am used to taking dogs forwards in baby steps so they come forwards in their own time, find a platform of safety and learn to settle on that platform. I am a trained therapist and worked for 25 years as a therapy manager supervising senior staff and training up therapists in many different fields. So I can naturally gauge the situation so a dog remains in the 'success/ succeed' range. We drove back to the kennels and he then came out of the crate into Adam's arms. I was then able to fuss him and Adam and I were so pleased with him. Slowly slowly...very slowly. We always say to people we are not interested in awarding people hero badges...only our dogs, as they slowly gain trust, confidence and skills

Rusty's thread shows how he has made such progress

marknsal

Re: Rusty Boxer x DDB DOB 2012 Broxbourne Kenns

Post by marknsal » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:00 pm

Met Rusty today which cut down our walking time but well worth it. Rusty is a lad who is just getting his feet under him again in a metaphorical sense, he has really bonded well with Adam and his colleague (sorry forgot name hangs head in shame) but is still a bit scared and well underweight. Having said that he took treats from my hand happily and came right up to me quite happily and licked hands to boot, sausages and steak seem to be appreciated. I reckon a couple more weeks and we will be walking him subject of course to reactions to other dogs but Adam has done a really cracking job to date.

marknsal

Post by marknsal » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Saw Rusty again today and he is coming on.He is great with Adam as you would expect given Adam's skills and the time he has spent on Rusty and was better with me taking treats gently even if he is still a little unsure of unfamiliar faces, not up to walking with me yet but soon.

Bertie and Pippa

Re: Rusty Staffie x DOB 2012 Broxbourne Kenns

Post by Bertie and Pippa » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:07 am

Awwwww, what a sweetheart. Your life will go from strength to strength now Rusty as you slowly come to realise that there are people out there who do love you and will walk that extra mile with you until you are ready to go out there and face the world again, only this time with your very own family that will love and protect you always. :smiley-gen132.gif:

MandaTK

Post by MandaTK » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:23 pm

Bless Rusty. How is he getting on. He looks a lovely lovely dog. Thank you for helping him so much already, its amazing how since I have been volunteer walking at Guildford you become SO attached to all of the dogs.

Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:41 pm

Rusty is doing great thanks to Adam & Co. We met him for the first time today and he was happy to take treats, walk with me (tried a run but he doesn't do running, more a slow trot :biggrin.gif: ) and even got some muzzle to face contact. Rusty met Tia very well and spent some time following her around the paddock, but always checking back to make sure that Adam was still in sight :) His training is coming along very well, Adam has him sitting and giving both paws for a treat and Rusty had a very relaxed feel about him today. He's also one very handsome big lump :smiley-gen132.gif:
Rusty1.jpg
Rusty2.jpg
Rusty3.jpg
Rusty4.jpg
Rusty5.jpg
Rusty6.jpg
Rusty7.jpg
Rusty8.jpg
Rusty9.jpg
Rusty10.jpg
Rusty11.jpg
Rusty12.jpg
Rusty13.jpg
Rusty14.jpg
Rusty15.jpg
Rusty16.jpg
Rusty17.jpg
Rusty18.jpg
Rusty19.jpg

MandaTK

Post by MandaTK » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:48 am

What beautiful pictures. Well done Adam and Co you should be proud. This boy is looking good. I love the way dogs will return to give you love if they are reminded that they are very well loved. xx Beautiful indeed. x :thanks.gif: :smiley-gen132.gif:

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:46 pm

Rusty had his long planned 'day out ' yesterday. He needed a little encouragement to get into the large crate in the dog mobile, travelled well and enjoyed the scenery around the M11 and M25 then fell asleep. On arrival at our Vets he would not leave the crate, I worked out it was the lip of the crate he needed to step over, depth down, and where the hell are we! I reparked so the pavement height helped then I removed the side of crate, slowly letting it down so effectively eliminating the 'lip' and creating a platform with soft blanket over beyond the crate to step on to. Harness with attached lead with an element prompting ...Rusty exited the dog mobile and entered our vets. We weighed him 27 Kilos and used tiny treats to relax him We did use a muzzle just to do the premed. then he was free and happy and was easily led by our vet nurse into his vets crate with ease.

Happy to appear with the same vet nurse 4 hours later neutered, chipped and having received his booster. Crate side still down and a treat laid to tempt, Rusty jumped into the crate, was secured and we were tootling back to Broxbourne to meet Adam having been such a good good boy!

Rusty is now officially on our books and we can get cracking looking for his very special family.

marknsal

Post by marknsal » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:21 pm

So pleased to see Rusty on the thread as he has come on so far from a scared and concerned dog to one that I save to last as he is the easiest walking dog I have walked with. Frankly I have an easier time with him than Sal does with Bella. Rusty is not a particularly big dog probably no taller than Bella but a wee bit heavier and today he managed to mooch away to the end of the extender, there may even have been the ghost of a tug:) but not much. Mostly he sticks with you like proverbial glue and mostly slack lead, he is also very treat focused so easy to get his attention and takes treats really really gently. You have to be a bit respectful of the journey Rusty has come on so no sit as yet and the important thing is getting him comfortable out walking and enjoying his walks which he seems to and it was quite a energy level change between Lara and Rusty and Bella also picked this up so a very laidback fourball ambled round Lee Valley.
Was reassuring that Rusty having had perhaps not the most fun trip out previously to go to the vets was quite happy to come out with us with no problems at all.