Zena and Kira Beloved Shepherds 2012

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
staffylevi

Zena and Kira Beloved Shepherds 2012

Post by staffylevi »

Image Image

staffylevi

Tragically lost from the bosom of their family, so sad so sad

These two girls were two of the most loving girls you could ever wish to meet and absolutely adored my brother (Terry). Terry rescued both these girls; Zena at 8-months-old from a local rescue centre and Kira he inherited at a young age from a friend.

Kira used to love watching t.v. and would bark at any furries that appeared on screen; mum would tell her to be quiet; mum said to me the other day; 'I really miss Kira barking at the t.v.' - she was with them all day everyday... funny the things you miss!

They say you shouldn't have favourites and I haven't among my girls but with Terry's dogs Zena was a stunner; a big gentle grizzly bear of a girl - when she was younger she used to be very protective over my brother's car; one day she jumped into my sister's car and wouldn't let my sister in - this went on for about an hour; it was a battle of wills, in the end my sister told her to stay in there and went back inside, when she came out about 10 minutes later Zena was so ready to get out of the car... lol! She never did it again.

The pair of these girls have been wonderful dogs and are truly sadly missed but their memories we will share and laugh about, their antics in times gone by we will talk and reminisce about but most importantly, we will move on with the honour we had of knowing and loving two such beautiful girls.

Missing you beauties.

Left to right: Zena, Ziggy (mum's shepherd) & Kira

Rest in Peace Zena and Kira; our beloved GSD's. xxx

Lee and I have not long been back from the vets to see two of my brother's GSD's; he has four.

We've just learned that Zena and Kira were admitted yesterday morning after being suspected of being poisoned. Kira is doing ok; she's 9-years-old but Zena, God love her is 12/13 years and is in a bad way. She is not urinating and has suspected kidney, liver damage, vets won't know more until tomorrow when her bloods come back so please please everyone can you say a little prayer for these girls tonight; they are both rescue and both gawjus girls. Zena is a big bear of a girl; black 'n' tan, long coated and Kira is white and long haired.

The other two Blake and Ziggy (also rescue) are much younger and seem unaffected; please prey they stay that way!

Thank you for your support and your prayers! Praying
Marie aka 'staffylevi' xx

GemmaW
Events / Moderator

Sending healing thoughts and positive vibes to all the dogs, especially Zena and Kira.

Sonny sends special Staffie vibes, they overcome many things! x x

chinquest
Forum Moderator

Sending positive thoughts

Theresa

Oh! how terrible. Shocked I'll be thinking about all the dear dogs and sending love.

goodvic2

So sorry to hear that.

Hope they will be ok xx

anne

Sending positve thoughts and hugs to the dogs and thinking of them. Hope they are all OK.

MrsP
Forum Moderator

Poor babies, hope they're ok. Lots of well wishes from us xxxxxxxxxxx

xxlynne

So sorry... pray they pull through

Sharon
What a nightmare .. so hope they both pull through.

rummibailey

They are in my thoughts, what a horrible situation. Hugs to all concerned xxx

julieh

Sending prayers and positive thoughts. Hoping tomorrow brings good news.

LindaH

I hope these two are making huge improvements in their recovery and my thoughts and prayers are with them. Bless them x

staffylevi

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and your prayers; I've just received the news tonight that Zena didn't make it Crying or Very sad My brother had to end Zena's life before she was ready to go; I know she was old but to go this way is so very very cruel, our family are heartbroken she was a beautiful girl that my brother idolised. She'll be very sorely missed.

Keep praying guys for Kira; she's not as bad as Zena was but is still in the vets and undergoing treatment. The other two still seem unaffected; thank God!

Today Lee and I saved a staffy life 'Morgan' who is staying with us for a week until he comes into kennels at the weekend... kinda ironic eh!

My brother knows where the poison came from and the only bonus from this is that it wasn't malicious but accidental although it was negligent on behalf of a pesticide company.

Missing you Zena already, you were a special lady... tonight the tears flow... tomorrow we rejoice your life! Goodbye wonderful girl! xx

chinquest
Forum Moderator

So very sorry R.I.P. Zena

Fingers still crossed for Kira.

Theresa

Terrible shame poor Zena couldn't pull through. I will keep everything crossed for Kira.

Four Positive Paws

So very sorry to hear of your loss, poor Zena, how very awful. Am praying and sending positive healing thoughts for Kira. xxxxx

staffylevi

Tonight I write with the very heaviest of hearts... this afternoon Kira lost her battle for life; she went into a fit and died shortly afterwards. Unfortunately our prayers were not answered on this occasion but thank you all for your positive thoughts and energy.

My brother is in bits as is the rest of my family - although it can't bring Zena and Kira back a case will be pursued against the pesticide company for negligence; GreenTh--b will pay for this if only to prevent it from happening again.

How do you comprehend losing two dogs to posion within days of each other... ??? It just doesn't bare thinking about!

Rest in Peace our beloved girls - your lives will not be in vain!!! :cry:

MrsP
Forum Moderator

Oh I'm so sorry, and you were so hopeful for Kira as she was young :cry:
Awful thing to happen, poor girls. I hope someone is held accountable.

chinquest
Forum Moderator

So very very sorry

westbrom1

Such sad news. xx

SharonR
Owwww so very sorry to hear that. To loose two in those circumstances is just beyond even thinking about. So sorry, poor babes.

Is the pesticide something used in a garden that everyone needs to be warned about or is this situation a one off and unlikely to happen to others?

Thinking of your brother and his family at this very sad time.

staffylevi

Thank you all! x
The vets have said this is a very rare situation to happen and if they were poisoned by rat poison it's so much easier to treat. Not much of a consolation but just for info.
The pesticide treatment did come from a garden that backs on to a field where my brother took the dogs. The weeds from the field grow through the fence so the lady of the house has the pesticide company come in every so often to sort her garden. The pesticide company sprayed the grass outside the fencing onto 'public' land to tackle the weeds and spread the poison onto the public land... the poison takes two to three hours to dry and can be harmful in that time although to a dog of Zena's age it can be harmful at any time. The company state that their pesticide (when dry) is safe to animals... clearly this is not the case! Me personally; I would never use pesticide ever! Some people won't put it in their bodies and choose to eat Organic so why put it in your garden or onto public land that could potentially have and HAS had tragic results???

Incidentally, the pesticide company is very well known in the UK; the company is made up of franchises that are supposed to follow certain guidelines; this franchise obviously did not and we will be calling in Environmental Services to stop this happening again!

he poison can cause liver and kidney damage so if you suspect your dog, cat of being poisoned or if they are showing signs of being unwell check the whites of their eyes, gums and skin for any yellowing as this could be a tell tale sign!
Thanks you again for your kind words!
Marie x

gsdlover

Marie - I'm so sorry :cry:
My thoughts go out to you, Lee & families :cry:
Such a dreadful way to lose one dog, let alone two - may both Zena & Kira rest in peace R.I.P.

Four Positive Paws

SO very very sorry to hear this terrible news. Thoughts are with your brother and the whole family. A tragedy. X

xxlynne

Desperately sad for Kira and Zena, desperately sad for their family to come also within months of Marie and Lee's loss of their shepherd Sonny is tragic and leaves the heart bleeding and the mind reeling.

rummibailey

Oh I am so sorry to hear this. It is devastating to lose our beloved pets at any time but by such a tragic negligance is heart-breaking and so difficult to come to terms with. :cry:

Jacky

What a very sad story.... my thoughts are with you.

ClaireG

so so sad x

Theresa

Ohh no! Not Kira as well. How terrible. I lost my cat to poison and it is just horrible. I am so sorry for the dear dogs and your family.

staffylevi

Thank you everyone and thank you Sharon for the lovely flowers. I will put a short eulogy up tomorrow with a pic of both the girls so you can see just how beautiful they were and who you've all been praying for over the past few days.

Thanks again!
Marie x

LindaH

To lose one is tragic, but to lose both - I cannot even begin to comprehend how your brother, his family and you are all feeling. Angry, so very sad, desperate to bring them back again - I am so sorry. This seems to be happening more and more. I read so many times of our beloved dogs dying this way, either on purpose or "accidental", either way it is something that should not ever have happened. I will pray that your brother and his family can come to terms with their loss, as I know how it can eat you up - its so senseless. The only consolation is that they are together again - not much of a one I know. RIP Kira and Zena together again at the Rainbow Bridge like you were in life. I am so sorry your lives had to end this way. Bless you :cry:

ladylou
Forum Moderator

Marie, I'm so, so sorry to hear about Kira and Zena, my heart goes out to you all, especially your brother.
Run free girls, now at The Bridge together.

montyjack

This is so horrendous, to lose one dog is tragic but two, my heart goes out to your brother and family, I can only imagine how devastated you all are!

julieh

So so sorry , can't imagine how your brother and family are feeling.

staffylevi

Thank you. I have added a couple of pics and a very short brief about these two beauties at the beginning of this thread. x
Doin' it for the staffies ...

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”