Saffy Staffie DOB 04 - 17.02.20

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
xxlynne

Re: Saffy Staffie DOB 04 Hampton

Post by xxlynne »

Hope you are keeping well. Of course we don't mind you asking about Saffy. It's lovely to hear from you.

Saffy is 12 years old now and doing really well, thank you. Hard to believe we have had her 5 years on Saturday. She is an angel and as gorgeous as ever. She is grey, VERY stubborn, slightly deaf and sleeps a lot but she is happy and we love her very much.

We have managed to keep her painkillers to 50% of what she was on originally for the last couple of years and she seems fine with this. Occasionally we have to give her a little extra if the weather is cold. She has blood tests every year to check they are not affecting her liver and kidneys and so far, so good.

Back in September she became unwell so we took her to see Christabel and they found a massive tumour on her spleen. They managed to removed it and it weighed 2kg!! Thankfully we found it in time and she made a full recovery. Bless her, we had no idea. I was with her right up until she fell asleep from the anaesthetic and it broke my heart to see her so vulnerable. She had an overnight stay and we couldn't wait to collect her. When she saw me she was still very tired and sore but managed a Saffy smile and a tail wag. She slept the whole day but was raring to go when Julie came home from work that evening and was delighted to see her Mum. You would think with removing a 2kg tumour she would weigh 2kg less........no, not Saffy!!!

Saffy now has two, one hour walks a day and if she can wangle it these are extended were possible :-) she loves the car and would be happy just driving around the block. We pick Julie up from the station every evening and Saffy knows when my mobile makes a noise it's time to go and get Mummy. She hates the rain and will not go out regardless. Tonight I tried twice to take her out and it was only spitting. We didn't even get to the end of the front path before she did her Scooby Doo impression and raced back inside

She has several beds, numerous fluffy blankets and a ton of toys.

Beds - the sofa, armchair, memory foam bed and a double bed. She needs help getting on and off the bed but we prefer that as jumping on and off hurts her legs. She sleeps on our bed every night. If it's cold she has her fluffy blanket. If it's hot she has the fan on her. She even comes up to the top of the bed in the night and nudges us if she wants to get under the duvet. She manages the stairs but is slowing down now, before she would race up and down them. Just getting older I think. If we have a late night she takes herself off to bed at 10.00pm with a "huff" even if we have guests
Blankets - cover her over and it doesn't matter what time of day it is, within seconds she is asleep and snoring (boy, can she snore!!!). She is like a snoring budgie!!! If we want a bit of peace (with snoring of course) we just get the blanket and cover her over......amazing!!!

Toys - she had a green ball which amazingly is still around after about 3 years. Normally she destroys toys in seconds but her green ball has survived so far. We bought her a Kong type toy about a year ago and suddenly this is the best toy ever. She can chew it and it doesn't break, it still squeaks and now it's her 'baby' and her green ball has been relegated to the bottom of her toy box. Her 'baby' goes everywhere with her, even to bed!! She tends to play in the evening but only manages about half an hour and then she's tired.

Julie and I got married in July. Saffy came on honeymoon with us. What can I say ...... we love her xxx
Saffy5-2.jpg
Saffy8-3.jpg
Saffy7-3.JPG
I am using the pad to write this email and don't have many photos of Saffy on it but have attached a couple for you. Hope you like them.

Take care,

Love Chris, Julie and Saffy xxxx
Bertie and Pippa

Post by Bertie and Pippa »

Awwww lovely update on Saffy - its a shame they have to get old so soon (if I had my way they would live until they were 50) but she is having a fantastic life with you and its a delight to see love4.gif
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Hi Lynne,

Happy New Year.

We are pleased to say Saffy is still with us and according to her chip details she is 16 years old this month not 15!!! I have checked this many times as can’t quite believe it myself.

Saffy is happy but sleeps a LOT but then at her age who can blame her. She is well in herself but unfortunately she has been having a bad time with her hips since September when overnight she completely lost the use of her back legs. Seems that her hips are trapping a nerve and affecting her ability to walk. The vet put her on Gabapentin which works on the nerves to stop them sending pain signals to the brain. Now she can walk again but is wobbly. She isn’t in pain and is as happy as Larry. She can potter around the house as we have rugs everywhere to stop her slipping but when we take her for her little walks we use a support under her tummy just in case she needs extra help. Most of the time she doesn’t need it but it’s there just in case and she has gained confidence since we have started using it. She is a very slow walker now so we are often overtaken by the neighbourhood snails 😄 but at least she tries. We let Saffy decide how far she wants to go and sometimes that means just a 10 minute walk, but that’s fine.

She has a tendency to try and run up the hall (and has managed it a couple of times) or chase her tail when playing and always falls down but she has a sense of humour and seems to think it’s funny when she falls over and rolls upside down for a belly rub!!! It’s like having a naughty toddler in the house!!!

Saffy also has arthritis in her front legs which isn’t helping as obviously they are having to work harder than before to support her.

Saffy never barked for years but has become very verbal in her old age, when she wants food, to play or go for a walk she lets us know 🙄 she also has a very accurate built in clock which pings her into action at 5.30 each morning 😕 for breakfast & walk, 3.00 for treat & walk, 6.00 for tea, 6.30 for playing and at 8.30 every evening she gets up and waits at the bottom of the stairs for one of us to take her up to bed (even if her favourite Auntie Karen is here).

We are taking each day as it comes with Saffy and doing what we can to keep her happy and comfortable. We know there will come a time when it all gets too much for her but for now she is doing well. We are beginning to think she will outlive us both 😄

Saffy is known and loved by everyone around here. Cars stop to let her cross the road, people come over to make a fuss of her and I am always being stopped by people asking how she is.

We love her to bits, she has become very loving & adores cuddles and we dread the day we know will have to make the decision. She is so happy, well and full of life and character (when awake) as well as being funny, that it will be tough to lose her because of her hips.

We really didn’t think we would have her with us this Christmas but she’s stubborn & wanted her new toys from Santa 😄 We have been blessed one more time xx

I will attach a couple if recent photos for you, one of her in her new coat which she hates 😄

As I said, we love her so much and we are doing what we can to make life more comfortable but it is a case of one day at a time.

Xxx

Lynne, if you would like to post the above on her blog you are very welcome. If you need photos sent separately let me know.

When the time comes and we have to say goodbye we will let you know.

Love Chris, Julie & Saffy Xxx
SaffySaffie191.jpg
SaffySaffie202.jpg
SaffySaffie213.jpg
SaffySaffie224.jpg
SaffySaffie235.jpg
SaffySaffie246.jpg
Heart fill with love.gif] Heart fill with love.gif] Heart fill with love.gif] Heart fill with love.gif]
Julieh

Post by Julieh »

Such wonderful pictures. Her age and how well she looks is testament to the care and obvious love you have for your girl .
Big hugs and may you continue bringing such joy little Saffy xx
Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum »

Oh look at that frosty face, what a beautiful girl she is. Thanks for the update, enjoy your time with your girl. Saffy you are wonderful love4.gif
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit and like our Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3303557299925949/
https://www.facebook.com/rescueremediesdogrescue/
xxlynne

Re: Saffy Staffie DOB 04 - 17.02.20

Post by xxlynne »

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Bless her heart Saffy's time came from such a difficult start she went on to live until 16 years old in a cocoon of love and blessings.

Fly high sweet one we will always remember you and all you taught us
Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum »

What a lovely frosty face girl Saffy was, and she had the best home. Oh that all our dogs live that long. Sleep well Saffy, you were very much loved xxxxx
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit and like our Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3303557299925949/
https://www.facebook.com/rescueremediesdogrescue/
Dee

Post by Dee »

Devastated to hear from Chris and Julie about the loss of our beautiful Saffy. She truly was a special and amazing little girl and she taught Lynne and I so much. And bought so much joy and laughter. Saffy truly could not have found a better home, no better example of failed fosters! She looked like a Staffie but actually she was sometimes more mountain goat and ninja! She had the most amazing ability to climb and steal. Only dog I know that could take wrappers of things so gently that the wrapping stayed in one piece. She gave the best cuddles although I believe Julie and John managed to get her great hugs, where she would put her paws on your shoulder and hold her cheek so close to yours, than Chris and I did. She had the most appalling few years before she came to RR and boy did she hit the jackpot then when she went to stay with Chris and Julie. Can not even put into words at how different she looked after being with them for a short time. She just had the look of a dog that knew she was soooo loved. Absolutely priceless for any rescue dog. Hope you met much loved friends at the bridge Saffy. And our heartfelt love and gratitude to Chris and Julie. Sending much love xxxx
Julieh

Post by Julieh »

Thinking of you both on the loss of your beautiful girl, so glad you found each other.

Run free Saffy xxx
Saffysloth

Post by Saffysloth »

Thank you all for your kind words.

God we miss her so much.

Still can’t believe how quickly she went. One minute she was celebrating going to the loo in the garden by trying to run into the house all excited (as she always did!!!) with me trying to keep up as I had her support under her, then 10 mins later she was so poorly she wouldn’t lift her head off her bed. I rushed her to the vets, I thought I had lost her in the back of the car at one point as her breathing was so shallow. Julie met me at the vets & Saffy's little face lit up when she saw her xxx

She had a major bleed in her tummy which the vet said was either a mass that was bleeding, her liver or her kidneys. Either way, a major surgery to explore with very high chance of not being able to do anything about it or losing her on the operating table. We knew then that at 16 we couldn’t put our baby through that. It would have been for us not for Saffy and we just couldn’t do that to her, it wouldn’t have been fair.

She was pain free, enjoyed lots of liver treats from the vet, lots & lots of kisses & cuddles from us & then we let her go. It was time & we all knew it.

We could have tried to stabilise her and see how she went but it could have started again as soon as we got her home & that would have meant pain & trauma for Saffy & we didn’t want that just for a couple of extra hours. We know we did the right thing by our beautiful little girl 😢 💔 now she is running free, no pain, no bad hips / legs, all the treats & pears she wants, playing with Indi and having cuddles & kisses from John xxx I am sure she is happy and will wait for us at the bridge xxx 😍😍😍

We are sure Saffy had a good life with us. We built up a love & trust over the years and she was living life as best she could & happy up until the end. She said her goodbyes with us both cuddling her and that for us all was the best way to go. No trauma, no pain just love xxx

For our Saffy x
Thank you Saffy for being our little girl. We love and miss you so very much xxx We are heartbroken that we have lost you but thankful for all the love & fun times we have shared. God bless baby, we will meet again at Rainbow Bridge xxx Forever in our hearts xx 💔

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”