Rhea Rottie DOB 01.06 - 11.18

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
Rescue Remedies_3

Re: Rhea Rottie DOB 01.06 Milton Keynes

Post by Rescue Remedies_3 »

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 by ali12345

Such a beautiful girl :D
Thanks for the update. Well done for coming through to the other side. Walking them together in peace now and seeing Grommet share his life with Rhea must be so good after all it took to get there.
Alison
Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 by jimbo3690

Hi this is Rhea here. It has been a while but I wanted to wish everyone at Rescue Remedies a very Happy Christmas (so do my parents and my brother Gromit of course). A big thank you to all of you for your hard work. You are doing a great job!!!
Also, I have read in the diary that Dee got married so huge CONGRATULATIONS and all our best wishes.
I am still very happy living with Jim, Vee and Gromit. We go for looong walks every day so when we are home Gromit and I like to cuddle up and chillax. We also like to play rough and tumble a lot, mainly because Gromit can be sooo annoying and then he just has to be told. But I'm never really nasty to him, I just sometimes pull his long ears or his lip a tiny bit too hard when he gets on my nerves. That usually does the trick! The other day I ripped his new fleecy coat whilst playing so mum and dad were not impressed but hey ho... What can you do?!
I've done lots this year. Vee takes me to a super dog training class every other weekend (one weekend she'll take me, and then the next one she'll take Gromit). I have a crush on the instructor Ian and I think he's got a soft spot for me as well. We have also found out that I am really good at agility so I did a course in summer which was great.
I also have a boyfriend in the village, William the Weimaraner. When I bump into him my tail goes mad, and then my whole body starts to wriggle and we give each other proper kisses with tongues and everything. I like that.
Ok, I think that'll do for now. Merry Christmas to all of you!!!
With lots of love, Rhea & Gromit & Jim & Verena xx

Dogs cuddling

Rhea doing agility

Merry Christmas from Gromit

Merry Christmas from Rhea

Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 by ali12345

Seeing a lovely update on Rhea and Gromit is a lovely christmas present for our family
Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 by SharonR-Admin

Good grief, she looks absolutely amazing! Aren't they so cute together - love the update, thank you
Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 by Verena

Hi... I know it's been a while (well, ages really) since the last update on Rhea but we had quite an adventure this morning so I thought I'd share this...

Rhea got bitten by a badger today... ouch!! Luckily it's only a couple of little puncture wounds on her chin, but she's not in the good books with her dad who had to pull her off the badger because she didn't want to let go :oops:

My theory is that she only wanted to protect her little brother Gromit who had discovered the badger first. Now, Gromit is a bit of a thicko and whenever he actually comes close to something that he has been chasing he doesn't know what to do and starts barking. This morning his barking had alerted Rhea who went to join him and I can only assume that the badger made all the right noises and stuff to defend himself and Rhea wasn't happy with this so tried to show him who's boss...

Just for the record, the badger did get away (as far as we could see pretty much unharmed, luckily!) after Jim had pulled Rhea off. Over all this drama, Gromit was just standing there, barking his non existent nuts off :grommit:

Of course we we will keep an eye on her wounds, hopefully there won't be an infection!

Now Rhea is trying her sad eyes look on Jim to get back in the good books with him... usually he cannot resist this look:

Other than this our little poppet is doing well. Unfortunately she has been diagnosed with Arthritis last summer, but we are taking her to hydrotherapy on an ongoing basis which makes such a huge difference. She doesn't even need painkillers and she absolutely adores her weekly swim.

Here are a couple more pics of our little madam:

And one of Gromit so that he doesn't feel left out

Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 by Verena

Poor Rhea dog... I found a lump on her back right by her shoulder blade on Sunday night. Straight to the vets on Monday, who booked her in for surgery to remove it yesterday. We were hoping it would just be a fatty lump but unfortunately it was definitely a tumor

They have cut around it quite generously so her wound is absolutely huge, perhaps about 4-5 inches.

In 5-10 days (an eternity!) we'll get the results from the lab.
I so hope it won't be malignant!!! But I'm sh*** scared to be honest.
We keep telling ourselves that she's got to be fine. She has been in such good form lately that I just can't believe anything would be seriously wrong with her. Her coat is super glossy, she's got a great appetite and bounces about like a spring chicken!! Well, not at the moment obviously because she feels very sorry for herself after her Op. Poor poppet...
Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 by xxlynne

Bless. Thinking of you all...lets go with your hunch she is heathy, young and you caught it in time I'm sure
Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 by ali123345

What a long time to wait but hope it is good news. Thinking of you and sure she will be up bouncing about soon.
Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 by Verena

Thanks Lynne & Ali.
The good news is that she seems to be recovering well from her OP. She eats and drinks well, and after initially feeling very sorry for herself she has now perked up again big time and is almost back to her cheeky self.
So far so good, now we just have to hope that her results come back ok.
I'll keep you posted on here.
V xx
Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 by Verena

We had Rhea's results back last week. Unfortunately not the good news we had hoped for, her tumour was malignant and quite an aggressive form of cancer that will usually affect the lungs if it spreads. Jim and I are gutted!!

However, the vet also said it might not have spread yet, and if we have caught it early enough it might never will. So there is hope! Apparently, due to its location (right under the skin and on her back) they were able to cut it out with quite a lot of margin so we might have just caught it in time.

We have to monitor her now obviously for signs like weight loss, shortness of breath, other lumps and bumps etc. We have been offered further tests to find out whether the cancer has spread to the lungs or not. If it has spread, then Chemo would be the only option... We have thought long and hard about this, but came to the conclusion that we wouldn't want to put her through the stress of this so have decided not to go for any more test for the time being.

At this point, she seems absolutely fine. She is bouncy and happy, has a good appetite and looks fab. So we just have to look after her as best as we can and keep our eyes open and our fingers crossed.

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”