Shyloh Mastiff x DOB 2008 - August 2019

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
Rescue Remedies_3

Re: Shyloh Mastiff x DOB 08 Southampton

Post by Rescue Remedies_3 »

Thanks for the update :D So glad you are sticking by him. Hope you are able to get him used to the cat. Can't imagine it will be easy but you have shown such courage and strength of purpose with Shyloh so far, I am sure if it can be done you will do it :D I can't offer any advice on that front but I am sure lots of others will do. Whatever happens you have given him a super chance at home life and shown lots of his good qualities. Fingers crossed here
Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 by Juliet

Thank you so much for giving the gorgeous Shyloh a chance. I have been worried that he would sit in kennels for ages because his size would put people off from giving him a try!! He is such a lovely smoocher as most mastiff types are. I am keeping everything crossed that your cat and Shyloh accept each other and the next picture will be of them cuddled up together!
Thank you again
Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 by Lisa S

Shyloh Update! Had good walk yesterday... we stayed well away from trees & branches!! We walked all around our local area so he had lots of new smells & sights to take in. He did try to pull me along but with correction I managed to gain control !! :lol:
Whilst out I popped into my local vets and put him on the scales he's weighing in at 39.20kg ... He thought that was exciting!!
On arrival back home he was so so excited to be back. Bless Him!
He went straight to the back door so without thinking anything of it I let him straight out... Not a good idea... Cause he was so excited to be home he went into CRAZY mode & was grabbing everything in sight!! Luckily I managed to get his attention & quickly diffused the situation & got him back inside to his bed! He then settled down & went to sleep!!
Mental note made to keep him calm after walks!!
Another good evening with him and the kids... I spotted him going to the kids for a cuddle, This is the first time I've seen him really interact with them!
Today I set off again and met up with my Brother & his Staffy Cross Lilly! Lilly is a great little dog & very obedient... Shyloh looked pleased to have company on the walk. We initially walked around the local streets then ventured off road toward the "Salmon Leap". He seemed more focused on Lilly than Trees thank god :D He behaved really well with no mishaps ... Well Done Shyloh :lol:
Later on in the day he noticed the Cat walk past the doors outside and straight away barked and barked at her :( At this point no matter what I did or said didn't make the slight bit of difference... He seems to Zone right out. :? As the cat moved he charged into another room to try to get a better look & doing so took out a large potted plant... Dirt everywhere... I then put him back into the kitchen to calm down.
Out came the Hoover!!
He's really starting to get to know our routine of things now and fits in so well... So just gotta keep working at the cat acceptance.
Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 by chinquest

aww come on Shyloh you are a very intelligent boy, you are doing so well lad, Cats can be great allies if you treat them right (and let them think they are boss!).
Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 by Lisa S

Well Shyloh has now been with us just over a week... it feels a lot longer!! His lead walking is getting better and better! We walked to the vet today and everybody loved him!! He behaved really well & didn't notice his injection! The vet thinks he is Mastiff cross Staffie which is what Lynne & Dee thought he was too!! Vet estimated about 18 months to 2yrs at the most. We had family over Sunday and he behaved brilliantly :D
We are still having problems with the cat
Shyloh becomes obsessed with her. We had her in the kitchen yesterday wth Shyloh but it wasn't easy... he seems determined to get at her. She was in for over an hour but she didn't move from the top of the fridge. After letting her back outside Shyloh paced round the house looking for her and didn't really settle for the rest of the evening We're not ready to give up just yet though... keeping fingers crossed tightly!!!
Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 by Olivia

Come on Shyloh! If only you could explain to them how important it is.
Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 by Penny

How brilliant that you have found each other - this lovely dog and a family determined to try and make it work. I wondered, is it worth considering a behaviourist to help get you past his cat fixation - and possibly the tree thing at the same time? I know some of them charge eye-popping rates, but there are some quite reasonably priced ones out there and it can be a real help.
Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 by Lisa S

Thanks Penny for the suggestion of a behaviourist! I started searching online for local ones and came across a lovely lady. I gave her a call & discussed in depth about the way Shyloh reacts to China the cat. She has given us ways to deal with his adrenalin rush!! So far so good... Yesterday he saw China outside and although he was looking intensly he didn't bark so thats an amazing step in the right direct... :D
Well he's now been with us for just over 2wks... :-o
Here are some new photos!
Here he is with Tyson...
It started to snow here heavy last wednesday evening. I was letting Shyloh out for a wee just before bed & he was amazed that snow was falling out of the sky! He got up on his hind legs and started walking around the patio trying to eat it!! He looked like some sort of circus dog!!
We lite our open fire the other evening and that was interesting... He's obviously never seen one of those before. He started barking at it so we used the calming method, simply walking him straight out of the room and into the kitchen... we did this lots & now he's getting the message that its actually quite nice to lay by and get warm and there really is no need to bark at it!!!
Doesn't he look so cute with snow on his nose!!

Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 by xxlynne

Shyloh we are so pleased for you and you are coming such a long way in such a short time... such a fabulously accomplished dog in the making with an extra special family!
Rescue Remedies_3

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 by ali12345

Well done Shyloh and well done to his super new family who are doing so much to help him become all he can be

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”