Lucy (Peggy) Presa Canario DOB 2008 - 23.05.19

In loving memory ...
Rescue Remedies_2

Re: Lucy (Peggy) Bloodhound x DOB 2008 Edinburgh

Post by Rescue Remedies_2 »

xxlynne Sep 06, 2010
Hi Lynne
Just to give you a quick update on Peggy (who has now been renamed "Lucy" - new life = new name!). She is doing really, really well! The first 3 weeks were difficult as I was on placement down in Hawick, and it was difficult to settle into a routine, but we are back in Edinburgh and things are going very well. We had one bad spell with the cats - where she took after my male cat - quite aggressively, I was VERY unsure about things after that happened. But, again - I think it may have been a bit situational - she was sleeping on the floor next to me, I had dozed off on the sofa - and the male cat came in the room - she jumped up, growling and showing her teeth and chased him downstairs. He was/is still quite traumatised. He had started to accept her, but after that - he won't come in the same room with her - obviously he could sense her intentions, as she has followed them around the house before, but its never worried them. At the moment - she is getting a bit better. She doesn't bother the female cat - other than to try and sniff her occassionally, but Brianna is not afraid of her and just tells her to "back up" by hissing at her - and Lucy obeys this. Ben, on the other hand, is still scared, but I hope with time, he can forgive her. She hasnt shown any aggression towards them since this - and is loose around the house when I am home, with no problems.

She is walking really well on a Halti - to stop the pulling, and had her first outing with a dog-walker today, which by all accounts went well. She is being walked with one other dog only - on lead the entire time. She gets on great with the other dog, and didn't even bark when Dawn (the walker) let herself into the house! There has been absolutely no growling at people anymore, that we meet on our walks. And on Sunday we spent about an hour at some local stables, and she was good with the horses (again, on lead the entire time).

Needless to say - I am delighted with her, and as far as I'm concerned, Lucy is a member of the family, and has found her forever home.

Think thats about it - I have a couple of photos of her - and will send these to Louise when I get a chance, so she can post them on the forum. But please let everyone know she is doing great and will NEVER be returning to kennels!!

Kristin, Lucy, Ben & Brianna

Rescue Remedies_2

Re: Lucy (Peggy) Presa Canario DOB 2008 Edinburgh

mholland25 Sep 08, 2010

:D :D :D

Really great news for Lucy (I will have to get used to calling her that!). The cats will except her eventually, but it will take time. Good luck and keep up the great work. Give Peggy lots of hugs and kisses from me!!!

Rescue Remedies_2

ClaireG Sep 10, 2010

I only met the beautiful 'Lucy' once on the sponsored walk but she was a big hunka love!! So pleased all is going well and hopefully the cat will just give her a good smack around the nose to put her in her place!! :D

Rescue Remedies_2

xxlynne Nov 24, 2010

Lucy resting before her walk:

Lucy on her walk in the heart of Scotland

Lucy after her walk

Lucy is just an amazing dog! She has started "doggy day care" as we had a few problems with dog walkers. She can be a bit "growly" when someone first comes into the house- and we lost two dog walkers as they werent willing to give her the time to get used to them. But found this amazing place, that takes the dogs for the day. They have a 2 acre, fenced in field where the dogs can play, run, etc. x6 full time staff to supervise the dogs all day, then they go on 2-3 walks through the park during the day!! There are 2 cabins on site, which are filled with sofas and doggy beds, and are heated, for the dogs to chill out if is wet or they get tired. They have been very good with Lucy, in terms of picking her up - we spent a week, where the pick up person would come, while I was still home, to reasurre Lucy - now, she sits and waits by the door, and Hugh, the pick up guy - gets loads of wagging and licks when he arrives. At the end of the day, I return to a VERY TIRED Lucy - she retires to the sofa, and sits beside me all night for belly rubs, etc. Reports from the day care - she plays very well with ALL of the dogs, and is friendly to all of the staff. She has 2 best friends, two big, male labs - who she spends most of the day with. But last week, they were amazed when she allowed a little weiner dog, named Louis, to take a toy off of her, she just looked at him and walked away. Really is a gentle giant. Her and the cats now lay together on the bed/sofa - so they are actually touching.
x Kristin

Rescue Remedies_2

Re: Lucy (Peggy) Presa canario DOB 2008 Edinburgh

mholland25 Nov 24, 2010

Awww this is fantastic news, I'm so happy she has settled in and is getting along with the cats. This is like an early christmas present for me :D I still miss Lucy and think about her a lot so I'm really happy you have found this fantastic day care, they sound wonderful. Give her lots of hugs and kisses from me!!!

xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Lucy is doing well. Kristin made contact on Christmas Day. She has had Lucy 8 years! thumbs.gif woo.gif]

xxlynne

Re: Lucy (Peggy) Presa Canario DOB 2008 - 23.05.19

Post by xxlynne »

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I remember Lucy so well, one of those dogs who teaches those who walked with her on her path sharing her love

So so grateful to Kristin for offering her help when she truly needed her.

Return to “Rainbow Bridge”