Forest Deerhound Lurcher DofB 12.07.19 Edenbridge

Dogs that have found their forever home
xxlynne

Forest Deerhound Lurcher DofB 12.07.19 Edenbridge

Post by xxlynne »

Current Status: Homed
forest1DSCF0261a.jpg
Forest's Story: Forest was homed for 2 weeks in with very young children but the parents felt his puppy traits we too strong to have around their 2 years old daughter in particular. Rescue Remedies offered a Rescue place. Forest will be neutered as part of the homing contract with the Rescue at around 1 year old and must not be used for breeding. Forest is chipped, and fully vaccinated. Forest is in foster with another dog whilst awaiting his new family.

If you are interested in rehoming one of our dogs, please complete our ONLINE HOMING QUESTIONNAIRE. It is always the first step in our rehoming process. Upon application, you must be ready to take in your new dog within seven days. For more detailed information, please see our Homing Process.

Please support our work and help our long stay dogs: Our minimum adoption donation is £175. This supports our continuing rescue work and is non-refundable. We exist solely due to the goodwill and donations of our supporters and volunteers. Our dogs need supportive families who will offer them patience, time and tolerance whilst they settle in their new homes. Our Rescue offers all our dogs back-up for life.

Please note: Dog laws have changed, with zero public tolerance and prejudice against bull breeds and terriers. Our Rescue asks new owners to keep their dog on a lead in public spaces and manage and support its encounters with new dogs and people, so as not to place the dog's life at risk. Destruction and Control Orders are commonplace nowadays.
forest2DSCF0241.jpg
forest3DSCF0243.jpg
forest4DSCF0251a.jpg
forest5DSCF0257.jpg
Forest's progress through our Rescue is below.
We work with our dogs, who often reveal a different picture and positive skills as they build trust.
Original Referral information: We were asked to help Forest and prepare him for his new family
anne

Re: Forest Deerhound Lurcher x pup DofB 12.07.19 Edenbridge Foster

Post by anne »

What a sweet, cuddly, little pup. I was lucky enough to meet him last week when Natalie popped in to walk some dogs.
forest6DSCF0267.jpg
forest7DSCF0242.jpg
forest8DSCF0247.jpg
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Here is Forest's mum, siblings and dad.
Forestmum.JPG
Forestdad.jpg
Forest22nd August.JPG
So you see he is destined to be a Deerhound Lurcher
natdugdale

Post by natdugdale »

We've had Forrest in our care for just over two weeks now and we adore this little lad. Saying that, he seems to have almost doubled in size in that time and is quickly becoming not-so-little (he's barely 13 weeks and already ~18 inches at the shoulder! :o ) So here's an overview of him – sorry it will be very loooong but I want to cover everything about him for a potential adopter!

Forrest is a typical pup. Loves play more than anything and when he's not playing, he's having a snooze. Like any pup of his age, he is a bit mouthy as he is on the verge of teething! Plus it is important to remember that puppies (like babies!) explore the world with their mouths ;) Mostly his mouthing is controlled but when he gets too intense in his play and tries to grab our hands/arms we don't allow him access and instead replace this opportunity to grab hands with a toy instead. He has picked up this change of focus from us to a toy very quickly and is happy to do so. He settles well with a toy, as long as he has a variety to choose from!

Forrest is pretty well crate trained which is such a great trait for a pup - keeping them safe when the owners are out and can't keep an eye on them! In the car crate he is 100% a total angel and either settles to chew a toy or, more frequently, curls up to sleep. He is happy to come along on regular short car journeys with me. He has even been left in his crate for short periods when I’ve popped in to volunteer and he hasn’t made a peep – he just enjoys a snack then settles down and sleeps. When it comes to leaving him in the crate in the house, he does initially cry but I'm sure with a good filled Kong toy or similar he’d be fine. We have only properly left him during the day in his crate once, so he hasn’t had a huge amount of day-time practice but settles quickly in his crate at bed-time, especially if he has a cushion to cosy up to.

He is a complete and utter gannet and herein lies one of the reasons his first family didn’t feel confident keeping him with their young children. Forrest resource guards his food bowl but with every person he has practised giving it up to, he is happy having around them whilst he’s eating (by which we vary in adding higher value food/feeding in handfuls/take bowl and add chicken, etc). If someone less familiar approaches his food bowl or touches him whilst eating he lets out a hearty growl and sometimes an air snap - some work will be key with this pup to keep him from feeling threatened at meal times! He is fine being hand fed treats and whatnot and is gentle accepting food otherwise. Along with his bowl, Forrest can also be guarded around high-value items he has nicked (examples being a crisp packet and some sandpaper!) and long-lasting treats such as Dentastix-type treats.

I’ve been told that thieving is not unusual with lurchers and Forrest certainly relishes in the opportunity to pinch interesting things! He has a shoe fetish and loves to take them to his bed 0002.gif] He doesn’t actually chew most things he pinches but enjoys chewing wood, cardboard tubes and assigned toys. It’s worth bearing in mind this may change when he starts teething! Mostly, since we taught him “leave” in exchange for something tasty or fun he will drop something he’s pinched, however if your response to him stealing something is immediate “NO!!!” or panic, he will guard that item and growl! This usually is in attempt to start a game of chase but sometimes it’s more defensive. Its all about convincing him you’ve got the better item for exchange 😉

Lurchers can often be prey-driven so we’ve been exposing him to every animal we can to avoid strong prey-drive behaviour as an adult. Forrest is a nervous boy outside of his comfort zone so most animals he is initially afraid of but the more exposure the better. My friend with sheep was kind enough to let me take Forrest in the field with his ewes and lambs today and as with most things, he’d rather return to safety than bother them. He has also met chickens, horses and a cat on a number of occasions and is wary but respectful of all. He has infrequently come in contact with small furries and our baby tortoise. He seems to be cat-friendly and was more confident with my friend’s cat than their dog 0002.gif] Speaking of dogs, his initial response was to back out of the harness and RUN from dogs he didn’t know but he’s progressed to just being very submissive and waggy and is coping well meeting strange dogs now he’s a little bigger (a good fitting harness will still be especially important) In Kia’s company he’s more confident. Regarding Kia, the two have learned to play within each other’s boundaries and they LOVE chasing one another around and growling like maniacs as they gently pretend to fight. Kia would never admit it but obviously love one another. They have a good 20 minutes of play at least twice a day! Once Forrest has assessed and is sure he’s safe, he will warm to new dogs quite quickly. Exposure to lots of dogs will be essential to get him confident!

Regarding children, Forrest will be a BIG boy, but my God does he love kids! Every baby he’s met he wants to lick to pieces and every toddler or child he will try his absolute hardest to get to and lick. We’re currently trying to train him not to jump up but his excitement gets the best of him. Forrest loves every person he meets without discrimination and is good as gold in the pub, despite being desperate to meet EVERYONE thumbs.gif

All in all, he’s a puppy who needs help building confidence, plenty of continued support and exposure, exposure, exposure is pivotal! Note that he’s a smart lad so requires lots of stimulation, especially important in the first ~15 months where being a large breed pup he will need reasonably restricted exercise to prevent damage to his joints before growth-plates fuse – for the rest of the day he will need lots to keep him occupied! Love this boy. Sorry this was so long but it’s 2 ½ weeks of foster condensed into a single post Kiss of love.gif
Volunteer as a walker with us!
Visit our Instagram page for weekly photos of our dogs! @rescueremediesdogrescue :)
natdugdale

Post by natdugdale »

*Note that all instances of him being off lead are in very secure fields or gardens!

Forest1.jpg
Lounging in the sun

Forest2.jpg
Loves 6 year old Clara, scared of the chicken..

Forest3.jpg
Getting confident with the chickens!

Forest4.jpg
Respecfully wary but now confident being around the horses.

Forest5.jpg
"This is my concentration face!"

Forest6.jpg
Tired pups after playing

Forest7.jpg
Making the most of being a lap dog whilst he still fits...

Forest8.jpg
Loves a good snoooooze

Forest9.jpg
Politely begging for food!

Forest10.jpg
He went a little too far sticking his head into his favourite tube 0002.gif] (Don't worry, it wasn't stuck!! We just had to get a very quick photo of his innocent puppy stupidity) 0002.gif]
Visit our Instagram page for weekly photos of our dogs! @rescueremediesdogrescue :)
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Lovely photos. ... Kiss of love.gif
natdugdale

Post by natdugdale »

We met more chickens today! Forrest was off lead in my friend's garden and when one hen ran off he zoomed after it, but as soon as the hen stopped running, he stopped and stayed a safe distance away (remember, chickens are very intimidating!) I think more than anything he was intrigued by it and came to call right afterwards. Forrest was also brave enough to attempt play with our friend's big black labrador. Boris was more interested in his stick and ignored him but it's great to see him getting confident enough to play with one of all the new dogs he's been meeting! love4.gif
He also got walked by 6 year old Clara (around the garden) and despite her very shrill excited squeals now and again he absolutely loved running around with her and his tail never stopped wagging - apparently he can cope with kids screaming better than I can! I think he quite likes this small human who has energy to match his 0002.gif]
Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum »

Excellent write up on his time in foster, thanks Nat. He is a pickle, the tube thing made me laugh. He is a lovely boy, and I'm sure your foster care will help him get the right home. Good luck Forest xx
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit and like our Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3303557299925949/
https://www.facebook.com/rescueremediesdogrescue/
natdugdale

Post by natdugdale »

IMG_20191112_204713.jpg
IMG_20191113_130058.jpg
MVIMG_20191112_163800.jpg
He's not quite a lap dog anymore! love4.gif
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

OMG ...somebody has stretched him roflmao.gif roflmao.gif Kiss of love.gif
He is gorgeous bighug.gif

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”