Betzy Staffie x DofB ?2013 Ascot Berks

Dogs that have found their forever home
BetzyTony

Re: Betzy Staffie x DofB ?2013 Ascot Berks

Post by BetzyTony »

Betzy's "Gotcha Day", a run round the racecourse wearing her new collar with her friends, almost all of it off-lead until she led a puppy astray and the two of them went running off, then home to a pig's ear and a lie in her favourite sun spot in the garden, getting up every so often to seek shade. She also has a new chew toy which she tried to convince me I really wanted and should chase her to get. Now lying asleep, dreaming, woofing at intervals and occasionally kicking me :dog_running-186.gif:
mandyandmike

Post by mandyandmike »

Happy Gotcha day Betzy and family. :havefun.gif:
dymphnae

Post by dymphnae »

So great to see her settled and really happy. Thank you for updating her fans!
BetzyTony

Post by BetzyTony »

Mixed news: I was walking her the other day, she just gone up to say hello to another dog when she started yelping in pain and her back legs weren't working. It was all very confusing but she was sitting down and seemed to be holding them out straight, in pain for several minutes. I rang my wife to pick us up and we took her to the vets but Betzy was fairly recovered by then and the vet couldn't find anything wrong other than she could see she was walking a bit stiffly. She gave us some painkillers and told us to keep an eye on her. Betzy doesn't seem bothered but although she still hurtles down stairs she is struggling a bit going up them and can only clamber on the bed rather than leaping on as she always has. She is not keen on being lifted though, preferring to struggle. Once on the bed she can jump off without a care in the world. She still goes out for walks though the day after her back legs did collapse once.

The good news is that she's overcome her dislike of water and regularly goes for a cooling splash in the pond in the nature reserve near us (apologies for the shaky video)
MrsP

Post by MrsP »

Oh she's just a perfect wee lass isn't she! I hope her legs are just a strain and nothing ongoing.
BetzyTony

Post by BetzyTony »

She's recovering slowly from the problem - it doesn't trouble her at all except when she climbs stairs or jumps on to something and now for the last couple of days she has once again been able to run up stairs. I am very pleased to say that as a result of walking with other dogs for a couple of weeks I have gone from constantly apologising for Betzy to having several people say what a lovely, well-behaved dog she is - on one occasion the compliment was passed on by the friend of someone who’d met her. She even walks off lead now (where suitable) and will come when called, that's good because while I'm walking 4 or 5 miles, she's walking at least twice that. She's stopped pulling almost entirely so I don't need to use her harness, she will walk nicely with her lead on her collar. On a recent group walk there was a puppy zooming around like a mad thing and it was enough to intimidate Betzy to the extent that she got clingy and even made it clear she wanted to go home! I was amazed. She's off lead on these walks and plays and interacts with the other dogs beautifully - though she still wants to lead everywhere 0028.gif A year on I’ve finally got the dog I always wanted.
BetzyTony

Post by BetzyTony »

Her favourite "swimming pool" in this hot weather:
BetzyTony

Post by BetzyTony »

A quick update: Betzy's leg problem has gone away completely (whatever it was!) and we have started running together again now my ankle problem has cleared up. We also walk with a bunch of other dogs three times a week and she is friends with them all from little Yorkies up to Retrievers. I've had to do some remedial work on recall as she's "forgotten" and is wandering further away from me when we're walking and also deciding for herself when she'll come back after I whistle or call. When she's on the lead she walks nicely but once off lead always wants to be off doing her own thing - one thing about her that has not changed!
BetzyTony

Post by BetzyTony »

Betzy's 2nd Gotcha Day party today with a bunch of her friends
GotchaDay2.jpg
She's the well-behaved one sitting politely in the middle of the chaos going on all around her as I give out some treats to everyone.
GotchaDay2_1.jpg
Last edited by BetzyTony on Mon 10 Jun 2019 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Happy 2nd gotcha day Kiss of love.gif
Lovely update and pics wheyhey.gif

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”