Dylan Staffie DOB 2012 - 14th October 22

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
John

Re: Dylan Staffie DOB ?2012 Chessington Kenns

Post by John »

Went walkies with Dylan today. He was eager to be out and a little pully in the lead at first. Out on the walk,however, he settled down. He was a little anxious at times but I think he just needs reassurance. Half way round he jumped up on a bench with me for a cuddle. Dylan has made great strides since he has been with us and I think once bonded with someone he would make a loyal dog!
:smiley-gen132.gif:
jacnmrb

Post by jacnmrb »

Storm Doris Day 23/02/17 From Phil ....
Dylan was my first walk of the day. I'd been really looking forward to it and this fun guy did not disappoint!
As usual, he came out full of energy and pleased to see me. I gave him a couple of healthy dog biscuits, a quick bit of fuss, followed by his ball and then we set off at a fast pace to the fields.
Dylan likes being on the 10M trail lead to have more freedom to sniff, smell, scent mark and explore but with Storm 'Doris' and the high winds, it was difficult to stop him getting tangled up. So we used the 3M Canine Cross Country (Cani-X) lead instead.

Around the open fields, Dylan was not worried and seemed to enjoy the wild weather. Taking care in the woods, we walked and jogged quickly and did a short loop on the bridle paths then back to the kennels. Our walk time was 1hour and 15 minutes, a little shorter than normal but we did do some running.

Dylan loves, loves, loves the outdoors and I love his enthusiasm. Here he is just as he's found his ball.
Dylan finds his ball
Dylan finds his ball
jacnmrb

Post by jacnmrb »

Thursday 02/03/17 Dylan's Walk
From Phil ....
As usual, Dylan was so excited and raring to go when he came out. So, off we went to the fields. Dylan loves the 10m trail lead as there is more freedom to explore without dragging me around; picture Dylan as the speedboat and myself as the waterskier!

Around the crop field, then the grass meadow, into the woods and back to the grass meadow and time for some ball play. Dylan loves the ball; the throwing game, the Grrrrrrrrr game (see previous entry) and then mixing them up.

Then it was time for some fast walking on the bridal paths and back to the kennels.

I had planned on walking 4 dogs, two before lunch, one during and one after but when I returned there were several walkers so I switched to three. I feel that I short changed Dylan and could have stayed out longer; will try to 'extra' change him next time.

I like Dylan a lot and respect him; if I forget and start fussing him like my own dog, Dylan will gently remind me that he doesn't like me to touch him too much. Respect, trust, patience and positivity are the key words with this little guy. If I didn't have my RR dog, Bobby, I would be asking Lynne if I could take Dylan home, as I would love to give him what he deserves: a warm home, huge regular walks with an interactive environment, good food and 'cuddles'. I really hope that his forever home comes soon.

Walk Summary
Dylan was out for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, a bit of everything.
I (always) look forward to my next walk with this cheeky 'Monkey' dog.
jacnmrb

Post by jacnmrb »

Thursday 9th March - Dylan's Walk
Apologies for not doing Monday 6th write up as I was not very well afterwards.
It takes a while to really gain Dylan's trust but today, he came out and put paws up on me and looked straight at me. Dylan doesn't' like to be touched too much and will softly growl his disapproval to let you know. Today, he brushed his body along my arm and hand and I gently stroked him pretty much all over. A special day for me as I think I have his trust.

Off we went for our walk to the fields whereupon, he came across a nice big deep puddle. We spent quite a while as the Dylan the little 'Hippo' played!

Finally... Hippo boy decided to carry on. We both had a great walk, all the usual things; 10m trail lead for freedom, ball play, a fast long walk to lower BOTH our energy levels. After an hour, Dylan went into sniff, explore and scent mode.

It must have been one of those days but pretty much every dog we went past ran up and got in his face. I tried to deconflict with the dogs, threw biscuits as a distraction, asked owners if they could call their dogs with the reply "No, MY 'Poopsie' is very good". Meanwhile 'Poopsie' is going eyeball to eyeball with Dylan and my grasp on the lead is ready to haul him vertically upwards! Dylan was very good. His tail was still and straight but he didn't do anything. He has come SUCH a long way for a dog that has had a pretty tough life.

We spent a few minutes with each 'good owner' standing a couple of metres apart and relaxing. One lady owner gave her dog to a friend and came and fussed him gently. Turns out, she was a vets nurse and knew what to do and what not to do. Dylan was great.

I AM REALLY PROUD OF THE LITTLE GUY!

Back to the kennels for some fuss and cuddles.

Walk Summary
Dylan was out for just over 2 hours. A great walk. Very proud.
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Least we forget beauty boy who has been with us nearly a year and needs a quiet caring home with experience of his breed with no finger wagging ot repromand just positive methods so allow him to trust and entertain.

Dylan07.jpg

Dylan09.jpg

Dylan10.jpg

Dylan19.jpg
jacnmrb

Post by jacnmrb »

Thursday 30th March 2017
From Phil ....
Dylan was my first walk of the day. He was overflowing with energy and, as it was a hot morning, he enjoyed cooling off in the stream and any other bits of water we found. We did our usual walk because Dylan loves routine. We do a mixture of things: the long lead in the open field, the pasture for sniffs, a walk round the woods, hit the bridle paths which gives Dylan a chance to jog, sniff and catch up. As I've been away for 2 weeks, I extended our walk to 2.5hrs. For our last half hour we played boomer ball which Dylan LOVES, LOVES, LOVES.
jacnmrb

Post by jacnmrb »

Saturday 1st April 2017 - Dylan and Phil out for a walk

Walk summary - 3.5 hours
jacnmrb

Post by jacnmrb »

Monday 3rd April - Dylan's Walk with Phil
Collected Dylan from his kennel, hooking him up myself; new routine for us. We started with some dog training by doing 'Name Check' followed by 'Sit', 'Paw' and then 'Come'. He seemed to enjoy this and he loves being told that he's a good/clever boy thumbs.gif . When playing with a tennis ball, Dylan will drop and leave; eventually!! Dylan knows his name, sits, gives paw and comes when called.
Then Dylan and I went on a big walk; fields with 10 metre trail lead for freedom, woods and bridle paths. Dylan and I ended up at the golf course clubhouse where we shared an ice cream and I got a lick and A KISS from him; awesome!
Back home and down to his kennel where I unhooked him.

Walk Summary
Dylan was out for 2 hours and 20 minutes. A positive training and exercise walk. Looking forward to seeing my mate Dylan again on Thursday.
jacnmrb

Post by jacnmrb »

Thursday 6th April - Dylan's Walk With Phil
I collected Dylan from his kennel; as usual, he was full of energy; a little Duracell Bunny!
I put Dylan onto the 10 metre lead so that he could run around and work off his energy (by the end of the walk he did!). Around the wheat field, bushes in the meadow and into the woods. There are a couple of ponds in the woods so in Dylan went; splash! Once he was soaked and had had some water to drink we 'hit' the bridle paths at a quick pace, still on the 10 metre lead, so that he could wander and burn off his energy.

On the way back, we stopped under a tree for shade for a quick rest and water stop.

We got back to the kennels and I sat down in the shade while waiting to take him back to his kennel at which point he put his paws up on me and licked my face and ears. Ahhhhh! Thank you Dylan.

Walk Summary
Dylan walked for 1 hour and 50 minutes with water stops and dunks in streams to keep him cool. Dylan the Hippo LOVES water.
jacnmrb

Post by jacnmrb »

Saturday 8th April - Dylan's Day Out with Phil

As usual, Sergeant Major Dylan 'forced marched' us out of the kennels at a fast pace (that's why I always sound out of breath when I do the video!).
A quick stop at the stream to cool Dylan down and then put him onto the 10 metre lead to let him run around and explore.

Dylan had brought a tennis ball with him and likes to play the game 'Get the ball from Dylan; if you can!'.

Around the grass meadow and the woods, dunking Dylan into every bit of water to keep him cool (he loves water), we then set out for the golf course for an ice cream. I got the chocolate and he got the ice cream. Dylan sits very well when feeding him.

We walked back to the wheat field and found a nice shady spot to play in. With a water bowl, biscuits and a 'Boomer' and tennis ball, Dylan and I had a lovely hour and a half just 'chilling'.

The best thing to say about Dylan in the last video is to watch his tail. Yes, I think he is happy too!

Walk Summary
Dylan was out from 10am - 2pm - a total of 4 hours. Dylan is a dark brindle so important to keep him cool while he works off his energy. 1 hour and a half was spent in a field in a shady spot and the rest was trying to walk in the shade as much as possible. I prefer to walk earlier in the morning when it is cooler but we walkers have to work around the kennel opening times. A compromise between lowering a dog's energy and keeping cool.

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”