Dylan Staffie DOB 2012 - 14th October 22

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
xxlynne

Re: Dylan Staffie DOB TBAss Chessington Kenns

Post by xxlynne »

I went back to Chessington today whilst 3 of our dogs were being neutered to give Dylan an afternoon out and about. We had a wonderful time in Earlswood
Dylan03.jpg
By the lake

Dylan01.jpg
Over the golf course

Dylan04.jpg
Dylan05.jpg
Dylan greeted Beany really well when she came into the front seat and they met via the grid. Loved spending time with Dylan and he realx down. One lady stopped me in the car park to comment what a beautiful Staffie he was and when she realised we were a rescue said she would love to help Staffies in need and is going to look at our website
Attachments
Dylan02.jpg
Bramleyapples

Post by Bramleyapples »

Popped into Chessington this morning to see Dylan as he missed out on a walk yesterday. It was our first meeting and after having read his thread I did not want to overwhelm him. I let Dylan take the lead in terms of building a relationship - he was not very responsive at the beginning of our walk and did not want to take treats, but as he relaxed a little there was a lot more looking back at me and he sat for some treats with a big smile and wagging tail. He really does have stunning brown eyes! He had a great time playing with a couple sticks - he only seemed to be interested in ones that were at least three times his size! I was amazed at his strength as he picked them up and moved them around. He was very strong on the lead at the beginning but did settle down - I did not want to move his lead around but I do think that he could do with a little more space and to have the lead only attached to his harness. When we got back to the kennels he was nuzzling my hands looking for cuddles and leaning against me and sitting on my feet.

He needs a special person he can put his trust in and who can put some consistency and positivity in his life. He will make the right person a loving, loyal dog.

Looking for some reassurance
Looking for some reassurance
Happy times with a stick!
Happy times with a stick!
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

Reading through Dylan's thread it is lovely to see how many wonderful Chessington walkers there are supporting Dylan and building his confidence, your efforts are obviously paying off as it sounds like he is getting more confident with each walk. Thank you all so much, these efforts will sent him up for a forever home and ensure the right sort home is found for him thanks to your insights. :thanks.gif: :goodjob.gif:
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
Bramleyapples

Post by Bramleyapples »

Had another lovely walk with Dylan this morning, he greeted me very enthusiastically. He was just on his chest harness and as other people have said, he responded better to this. He was quite strong on the lead for the first 15 minutes or so and then he calmed down and we had some great loose lead walking. I think he would be great if he were getting walked every day and had a bit more of a predictable schedule in a home.

He had a great time with a stick (log may be more accurate), carrying it around despite it's size and breaking all the branches off. It's lovely to watch him have so much fun! He completely ignored most things we encountered on our walk - people, bikes, horses and cats - although one horse who was being quite noisy did catch his attention and he stopped to watch it running around. He had a good roll around in the leaves at one point - of course he then got all tangled up in his lead but was very patient while I was detangled him. Good boy Dylan!
LizS

Post by LizS »

I took Dylan out for a walk last week, he's always very excited to be out for a walk so he can pull a bit at first but he calms after a while and stops pulling. He's good meeting other dogs, he usually just ignores them. He's quite well trained as he sits when you ask him too at the road side and also for treats which he takes gently. This poor little guy needs a sofa and a lot of love from a family that will understand his troubled past. :D
janec

Re: Dylan Staffie DOB ?2012 Chessington Kenns

Post by janec »

I was given Dylan to walk on Saturday morning. He is adorable. He was very happy to come out for a walk. We stopped regularly so I could stroke him / make a fuss of him. I didn't know anything about his history until I saw a post on Facebook in the evening. I found that he was more than happy to be touched though and he was a great walking companion. A very friendly dog. I really enjoyed the time I spent with him. I look forward to seeing you rehomed and hope it's soon.
LizS

Post by LizS »

Dylan and I had another great walk this week. He really loves his walks and I think he would benefit loads from having more walks in a new home, he has a lot of energy. He does seem a lot more settled though. After our walk today he wanted lots of strokes, nudging my hand onto his head as if to say stroke me please :D
John

Post by John »

I met Dylan this morning. It was a brief walk as I was running out of time,sorry Dylan. He has a lot of energy and really needed a longer run. This is a dog that would really flourish in a settled home. Let's hope that happens soon.
jacnmrb

Post by jacnmrb »

Phil, my other half and Bobby's dad, walked Dylan twice last Saturday. He has asked me to post up his account of the walks. From Phil ....

Dylan was my first walk of the day and we enjoyed a couple of hours together. During the walk he found a tennis ball which was his treasure. Occasionally, when he lost the ball, we ambled around to find it which made Dylan visibly happy. As the walk progressed, Dylan made eye contact which was lovely. When we returned to the kennel, I offered him some healthy dog biscuits but he wasn't interested. He dropped the ball when the kennel staff came to collect him so I popped it in my pocket.

Later in the day, I took him out for a second walk, offered him some biscuits which, looking at me, he took gently. I also shaped my hand into a Kong and he used his nose to open my fingers to get to the biscuits. He's a clever lad! I then gave him his tennis ball which he proudly carried all the way round. I clipped my Cani-cross bungee into his harness and he ranged the 2.5 metres this gave him to investigate his surroundings whilst making lots of sniffs and scent marking. Dylan constantly looked back to check I was still there; lovely.

Back at the kennel's waiting area, we played Sprinkles which Dylan loved; I loved seeing his nose to the ground, going back and forth, scooping up the biscuits. We also played ball with a 1 - 2 foot roll; he brought the ball back each time and dropped it so that I could roll it again.

I thoroughly enjoyed walking Dylan and am looking forward to taking him out again. He enjoys long walks and I loved walking him. He was such a good boy who enjoys playing games and we had fun.
jacnmrb

Post by jacnmrb »

From Phil ....

As Dylan came out, he recognised me. Clever boy! I clipped my Cani-cross lead onto his harness and put his metal leads into my backpack. His face lit up when he saw that I was carrying a tennis ball for him which I promptly gave him to carry. Once we got past the narrow passageway to the field, I connected a 10m trail lead and we started playing 'throw the ball 2-3 metres'. From the first throw, I learnt to start running the minute I threw the ball as, if he knocked the ball on 4, 5 or 6 metres, I soon ran out of trail lead which was hilarious.

We walked all the way round and went into a large field where he did lots of sniffing, smelling and cropped some grass. We proceeded to walk round the woods with the pond and returned to play lots of ball. Dylan went round me 3 times, wrapping the trail lead round me just as I was about to throw the ball; mischievous lad would've floored me, lol. He has a great sense of humour and a gorgeous face.

When we returned to the kennels, I put down a plastic sheet with a fleece on it, put out the dog biscuits and some water and we had a little picnic. We played a little game of ball; using my knuckles very gently, I tried to nudge the ball out of his mouth. He then dropped it and my hand would creep towards it like a little spider while he watched every movement intently; fantastic. When he went back into the kennels, he looked back at me; awesome!

Dylan loves being told that he is a 'good boy', listens to my constant chatter very politely, lol, adores being outside and engaged in ball play and games such as Sprinkles. I find him a fun guy to take out AND as you can see from the videos, he has the most adorable face. I am SO looking forward to our next excursion.
Last edited by jacnmrb on Sun 26 Feb 2017 20:03, edited 9 times in total.

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”