Rowan Staffie DofB 09.05.08 - 08.05.21

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
Jojokate

Re: Rowan Staffie DofB 09.05.08 Littlehampton

Post by Jojokate »

So pleased to read this. Rowan has definitely landed on his paws with you . Be happy all . Rowan is a sweetheart x xmaskick.gif
JoJoPrice

Post by JoJoPrice »

I just wanted to say Thank you for all your good wishes for me when I was poorly and also the lovely comments about us adopting Rowan woo.gif]

Rowan has been "Our Boy" for a while and we got in the habit of calling ourselves "Mummy" and "Daddy" 0002.gif]

He is the most obedient and loyal dog I have ever met, as a child we had a family Jack Russell who as much as she was lovely did her own thing most of the time and wasn't a "cuddly" dog.
Rowan is completely the opposite and loves to be with us and near us.

We have had a tough time with Luke being diagnosed with Children's Kidney Disease just 3 weeks after we started fostering Rowan back in March 2016. With drugs and tests it appeared that his condition was resistant to the "normal" drugs they would use. We have been trialling different drugs for him which weren't available on the NHS to try and kick his body into responding. These trials are now over and the consultant in London has reverted back to different drugs available on the NHS with the view that Luke may need to be medicated all of his life, as he is defying science as is fit and well apart from the lack of protein :smiley-signs002.gif:
We also started massively renovating our house (as you could see from some of the photos) but now have come to a natural end so this made the decision easy to be able to offer Rowan a full time permanent home FOREVER.

We are so excited and although nothing has changed .... it has .... he is ours, my baby boy who we both love with all our heart Heart fill with love.gif]

Here are some recent photos of Rowan .... he is just amazing xx
I love your leg .... so cosy
I love your leg .... so cosy
Cuddles
Cuddles
image5.JPG
Love being between you two :-)))
Love being between you two :-)))
I love really showing Daddy how much I love him with BIG cuddles on top of him
I love really showing Daddy how much I love him with BIG cuddles on top of him
Kisses for Luke xXx
Kisses for Luke xXx
Loving the new carpet ....It feels so nice
Loving the new carpet ....It feels so nice
Rowan makes me smile when I take him to the beach ..... We get there and he looks at me, as if to say "There is no grass and it's wet .... You know I don't like my feet getting wet!!"
His recall is amazing, he normally sits straight away when he comes back ... but clearly it was too cold and wet to do a proper sit :icon_barking_dog-116.gif:

We met Lynne at the vets in Westerham on Tuesday where we spoke about Rowan as he needed some lumps looking at and Mark decided the take them off, one in particular on his leg.
Rowan met Troy who was with Lynne and they enjoyed sniffs and made friends! Rowan of course cowered and backed to get out the door when we were called, but as soon as Lynne called him and told him to come "Join the Party" he happily trotted off behind her into the examination room :goodjob.gif: .... Lynne really is the Dog Whisperer love4.gif
His stitches aren't affecting him one bit, he has been such a brave boy angel13.gif]
image2.JPG
So we are now a complete family with our boy Heart fill with love.gif]
Sarahk

Post by Sarahk »

What a lovely post JoJo (but obvs very sorry with what you've had to go through with Luke, hoping the treatment does what it needs to but glad Luke is well in himself) - Rowan will recover quickly from his op I'm sure knowing he has the family he wanted - but then he's known that for a long time love4.gif

Heartfelt congratulations to you all xxx
:goodjob.gif:
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
gsdlover

Post by gsdlover »

I don't actually know how I've missed this as Rowan is one of the dogs that I have followed since I picked him up from the vets all those months ago!

Nothing has made me happier than reading this Jo.....you and your family have been there for him pretty much from the beginning and must admit that I have hoped that you'd adopt him for a long time :thanks.gif: It sounds like you've had a tough time lately but I'd just like to say a huge thank you for everything you've done for Rowan. He can now carry on living the wonderful life with you all :thanks.gif:
JoJoPrice

Post by JoJoPrice »

So Rowan went to the vets on Friday for his stitches out. he was nil by mouth just in case he needed to be sedated, however he was such a good boy. This is the vet we have chosen as when he had to have a booster earlier in the year this vet didn't make him get on the table and did everything on the floor which put him at ease. I think Rowan remembered her, as although he was scared he had a half waggle tail and jumped up for strokes. Everything was done on the floor and he let her take out his stitches on his leg and she also took out the Ines on his belly as they weren't dissolving as they should and were causing irritation. He also got his dew claws clipped too .... All without a growl :goodjob.gif:
We had the results of the tests on the lumps and it was a cancerous lump which they have graded a 2. They are happy it's all out and there's was a further test we could have to tell us the "likelihood" of it coming back which Jay and I opted against. If he gets more lumps, he gets more lumps ... that doesn't change how much we love him love4.gif
He also has just had 3 nights with Mum as we went away, still wouldn't go for a walk from her house but was happy to go when she drove 100 yards down the road :dog_running-186.gif:
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Brillant news that they managed to remove all of the lump ...i wouldn't have had the test either ...
Well done Rowan for a successful sleepover ... :goodjob.gif: blob6.gif]
JoJoPrice

Post by JoJoPrice »

Just an update as we decided that as no-one has Rowan's actual DOB all we know is he was chipped in July 2008 that as yesterday (25th March) is the 1st day we met him, this is going to be his birthday. It's also 2 years to the day that we met this 26kg lump of love xxxx

Rowan continues to be the loyal loving staffie he always has been, he still whines at night if he wakes and sometimes decides that a second walk is just too much (even though the day before he has loved his afternoon walk) However he always walks now in the morning as long as we come out of our gate and go right, we can then go pretty much anywhere. Rowan even starts to cross the road telling me he fancies the dog walk thumbs.gif

He spends a lot of the time off-lead as we tested his recall in the enclosure early on, apart from when we are walking to/from the park but once we are off a road he is off-lead. I also pop him back on if we see a little dog that he hasn't met before, just to keep him safe. He has to be told to run away and knows if I say 'Go on then' he can have a run, he never goes far unless he feels safe and has been to where we are before. He is always turning back to check I am still there and he hasn't lost sight of me. I'm sure he has been mainly off-lead in a previous life. He loves meeting doggy friends although looks at them when they start to play as if to say 'Na mate, I just want to sniff, I'm not running around with you' and then comes to me when called.
This is around the football field after work, we always stop and Rowan loves the run around

Mum still loves him and has him at least twice a week for the day while I'm at work, she spoils him with lamb lunches and anything else my step-dad couldn't finish at a meal out, they are always bring him a 'doggy bag' 0002.gif]

I can't imagine my life without him, he is my best friend and my baby boy love4.gif

Here are a few recent picture ...... Although my phone is full of pictures and videos, it is so like having a child
Such a hard life being at work
Such a hard life being at work
He also gets treats at work from my boss .... Here he is waiting for his 11.30am one
He also gets treats at work from my boss .... Here he is waiting for his 11.30am one
I do such a lovely 'sit' especially when I'm called back to Mummy, then I get a treat
I do such a lovely 'sit' especially when I'm called back to Mummy, then I get a treat
Daddy is lucky and gets breakfast in bed after I've had mine and Mummy has walked me .... I'm lucky as he normally saves me some sausage
Daddy is lucky and gets breakfast in bed after I've had mine and Mummy has walked me .... I'm lucky as he normally saves me some sausage
Rowan loves the new sofa .... giving him optimum viwing on whats happening outside
Rowan loves the new sofa ...He has prime nosing position
Rowan loves the new sofa ...He has prime nosing position
This is my Meercat impression when I see something really interesting
This is my Meercat impression when I see something really interesting
Rowan has never been a fan of the beach, and we live by the sea. So we went to West Beach which is sand dunes and just across the river where we live. Rowan loved this beach, maybe because it has grass for sniffs and dry sand no no wet paws. We all had a lovely time there

I love to chat
I love to chat
Afterwards, he was sound asleep looking as gorgeous as ever
Rowan sleeping with ear up.jpeg
He also dealt with the snow well, although wasn't a fan when the snow fell on his face from a bush
Rowan snow_opt.jpg
So our local community is getting together to raise awareness for a local charity called CancerWise, my friend the fundraising manager came up with the idea of #cancerwiserocks - Which is children (and adults) creating rocks and hiding them around and about, when you find a rock you post in on the Facebook page and then re-hide it. This has been a amazing especially getting the kids off the games consoles looking for rocks and raising awareness for CancerWise. I hadn't found a rock at all until yesterday ... Although Rowan found it I just went in the park to get it thumbs.gif
Rowan finds rock_opt.jpg
Mummy said I was very clever and that I had to sit nicely (I hate the camera being pointed at me) so she could just take this one photo
Mummy said I was very clever and that I had to sit nicely (I hate the camera being pointed at me) so she could just take this one photo
Some might have seen this video from my Facebook post - Rowan loves ice-cream and we have learnt to let him have it bit, by bit otherwise he dribbles it all over everything lol.gif

We are so lucky to have found him and then Lynne recommending him to us (us being open as new fosterers)
MandaTK

Post by MandaTK »

What a wonderful write up on the darling boy who is Rowan. He is so gorgeous JoJo and obviously loves you all so much. The rocks are brilliant and are getting all the kids off their sofas so well done Rowan for joining in and finding one. Hugs and happy birthday for yesterday Rowan. xxxxx
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

Oh Rowan, who doesn't love ice cream! Such a cute video!
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
bizlate

Post by bizlate »

Happy 10th(ish) birthday Rowan!

How lovely to see this happy boy enjoying his life and his humans love4.gif

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”