Nancy Staffie DOB 2013 Morden SW London

Dogs that have found their forever home
tufty

Re: Nancy Staffie DOB 2013 Morden SW London Temp foster

Post by tufty »

Nancy is continuing to settle well into her routine. Not sure she's so keen on getting up so early (neither are we!), very snugly into her bed in the morning and lots of cute stretching, but once she’s out and about she loves exploring, jumping on tree logs, searching for tennis balls and collecting sticks.

Poor girl was very disappointed the other morning when the gleaming yellow ball just ahead of us turned out not to be a tennis ball, but a lemon! To be honest I was pretty surprised somebody had left a whole lemon lying in the field too...

She always gets a Kong in the morning when we leave for work, but she tends to play with it for only a few minutes, so this morning we left a treat treasure hunt for her. This worked really well and she was busy running around for about 30 minutes checking for any treats she’d missed. She managed to wear herself out and flopped on the sofa, sleeping for most of the morning before her lunchtime walk.

She already recognises our dog walker and more importantly the reason for his visit, so he gets a very warm greeting and a request for a tummy rub when he arrives.

After she’s been left alone in the afternoon this week she has had a little bark to see if anybody would answer her, and then settled down again. But she was much calmer today and seemed more content.

We leave a Kong ball with her in the afternoon (which the walker gives to her before he leaves). It is hollow in the middle and we just put a few treats into it. She loves this, knocking it around the floor with her nose and paws before grabbing it and jumping on the sofa, gnawing away for a good 10 minutes. When she wakes up from her naps during the afternoon she has a play with the ball, tail wagging and seemingly reassured by its presence.

She’s really excited when I’ve been coming home from work, but she’s able to direct her energy into her toys and Mr Rabbit gets thrown around the room. Then off we go on our evening walk.

She’s getting better and better on the lead, really interested in her companion and will come back to me quickly when called (unless there’s a squirrel). She met a young female dog tonight and although Nancy is generally better meeting with male dogs, they got on really well happily sniffing away. Nancy charmed her owner too, apparently the spitting image of this lady’s previous staffie.

She sleeps well at night. She likes to have a routine and once we’ve returned from our late night walk she likes to go to bed shortly after. I think it reassures her to know we’re all back together for the evening and we won’t be going out without her again. She’s definitely happiest when all her family are home together and she likes to snuggle in the middle of us on the sofa, head on one of our laps and feet resting against the other.

Apparently she finds my giggling very funny and she makes us laugh all the time. If she wanders up and you ask, "Nancy, what’ve you been doing?" her bottom starts wiggling from the furious tail wagging. Who knows what she's thinking, but it's very cute.
Yesterday she decided the BEST thing to do was roll in something revolting smelling in the field! She made me smile though, rolling so happily! Little did she know that as soon as we got home she’d be going in the shower; not a happy doggy! But she was really good. She sat there looking at me with puppy-dog eyes and let me lather her up and rinse away all the soap. She smells lovely now and happily let me dry her with my hair dryer.

SarahW

Post by SarahW »

What a wonderful update, it sounds like Nancy is having a great time on foster. Thank you tufty for everything you are doing for Nancy. So much information on Nancy for potential homes to consider.

:thanks.gif: :thanks.gif: 0093.gif :goodjob.gif:
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
tufty

Post by tufty »

Nancy came to the pub at the weekend for brunch. She was very well behaved, mostly lying under the table whilst we ate and watching what was going on around her, although she did wolf down all three dog biscuits that the waitress brought for her in one go!

She is settling when left during the day and still enjoys her food treasure hunt in the morning when we leave, checking every nook and cranny for any treats I might have sneakily hidden from her. Then she jumps on the sofa and settles down, mostly sleeping until the dog walker arrives and snoozing again in the afternoon.

She’s really good at tricks, giving you the correct paw you ask for, rolling on her side and choosing the correct hand that we’ve hidden the treat in (well mostly).

Nancy had a lovely meeting with a Pomeranian in the park tonight. She had a happy sniff and then decided that was enough and came back to me for fun and games.

Cuddles in the evening
jules

Post by jules »

Thank you for great updates on this lovely girl. Surely her forever home is just around the corner. crossfingers.gif:
tufty

Post by tufty »

Nancy and I won a new dog bed today!

She is definitely the bringer of good fortune, so far she has found £20 lying in the park in the early morning (which bought us breakfast) and now she’s won a comfy bed for herself. I think she was quite pleased with her little self and decided to test out whether it was a comfy place for chewing her bone.

She’s really good when we leave for work and not worried about us going. Instead she waits eagerly for us to leave, hoping I’ve left the ritual treasure hunt, and immediately runs around searching for treats, before settling on her favourite chair for a snooze.

She has been entirely unfazed by fireworks so far, and I expect she’ll be fine on bonfire night, although it’ll be a good excuse for cuddles!

jacnmrb

Post by jacnmrb »

Thank you for pawing a lovely message on my 'Gotcha Day' post; it's great to read that you're having fun too. Sprinkles was my first game here and I too loved hunting for every treat. Love Bobby xx
tufty

Post by tufty »

Not many things are worth getting up early for at the weekend, but this gorgeous girl certainly persuades me!

She's so happy to be out and about. She loves following trails through the fallen leaves at this time of year, all the better if that trail leads to an abandoned tennis ball or a stick. She loves a stick, so she's pretty easy to entertain in the park.

Will you find me a stick?!

Nancy is so placid, poor girl even let me dress her up. After all, who wants cold paws when you could just look super cute?

And after all that...
tufty

Post by tufty »

Nancy is continuing to flourish in foster. She met my parents-in-law this week and within 10 minutes she was snuggled up with “grandma” on the sofa being fussed over.

She loves a bit a comfort on the sofa, sitting on the chair watching us cook and happily wore the lovely bow I made for her.

She will even attempt to carry half a tree around the park if you let her.

She will play with her toys and bones when we’re here, but generally sleeps when we’re out and is clearly quite relaxed in her own company until we come home. She knows our routine in the morning, waiting in the kitchen whilst I hide a few treats around for her sniff out. When my husband worked from home on Thursday she looked slightly disappointed that she missed out on her treasure hunt in return for his company.

Nancy really loves to crunch on her nyla bone, so she was very happy when we bought her a deer antler, especially when she made her way through to the marrow inside!

Our dog walker is definitely a little bit in love with her and he’s even bringing his partner with him to meet her next time. He has a few days off next week, and I get the feeling he’s going to miss her. She has a doggy diary which he fills in and this week she got a lovely report. “Last 7 walks have been fantastic. She is calmer around other dogs and is happier in general. Hope she enjoys the next week and I’ll see her next Thursday!”
tufty

Post by tufty »

Nancy and I worked from home today. Well I say worked... Nancy happily settled down and slept all morning.

She didn’t disturb or pester me at all (just a bit of cute watching) and I was able to make phone calls etc without any worries.

Just woken up

Nancy is always ready to play and we did get to throw our favourite squeaky toy whilst I waited for the kettle to boil, before she lay on the sofa, ball between paws and most innocent face.

Her internal body clock is extremely accurate. She woke at 12.30 (the same time as the dog walker usually arrives), jumped off the sofa for a stretch and told me it was time for her walk.

During our adventure today we found the huge stick again and she had a good go at dragging it along with us, but in the end settled for a stick which was of a more manageable size.

Nancy really enjoys carrying a stick or ball along with us and clearly draws reassurance from it, so tonight, when we walked past the place we left the stick earlier in the day, and it was still there she was so happy!
nada.c

Post by nada.c »

So happy to see Nancy flourishing in foster - she's a sweet girl deserving of a forever home bighug.gif

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”