Kyla Staffie DOB 11.09 - 11th March 24

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
sweetpea

Re: Kyla Staffie DOB 11.09 Worcester Park

Post by sweetpea »

John could you use a gentle leader .....that would give you much more control over kylas head .... Kiss of love.gif
Sorry this has happened as you said kyla was on lead bighug.gif
Luella

Post by Luella »

Hi John. Sorry to hear of the incident. We keep Lucy under control but if loose dogs charge up to her barking she is very quick to react. It’s a problem we could well do without as we always have to be on our guard. We bought a fairly soft black muzzle (she had it on when we met you at the last funday) from Jollyes pet store & she really doesn’t object too much at all. It comes in various sizes & she can still drink & take treats. Let us know how you get on.
John

Post by John »

Thank you Nada,Jo -Jo, Luella and Sweet Pea for your helpful advice. I always carry a muzzle (soft mesh type) when out with Kyla.She is reasonably happy to wear it although would rather not.I have been reluctant to put it on her every time I walk her as I feel I can manage most encounters. I either wait for dogs to pass, change course, stand still keeping distance etc etc. I have muzzled her if I feel an off lead dog or group of dogs look ‘bother’ or if she will be close to dogs generally.
There has been some clarification of the events earlier today. I received a phone call and a visit to my house from two dog walkers that know us from the park. I initially thought it was going to be bad news of some sort. They had heard of what happened and wanted to tell me that the other dog (a patterdale) has ‘history’ and has injured other dogs. They both told me that had Kyla been muzzled she would have been hurt.
Following what happened earlier I was initially quite upset but walking home quickly realised that Kyla was not guilty this time. Although most people instinctively protect their dog, possibly no matter what, in this case, she was in my opinion not at fault. :panting_dog-119.gif:
JoJoPrice

Post by JoJoPrice »

Rowan doesn't like huskies or anything big and fluffy, he even takes offence at some golden retrievers ....
I always pop him back on the lead or don’t take him off if I can see a dog I know he would struggle with.
On the rare occasion one of those types has come over (normally an off lead adolescent) I just move Rowan away changing direction until the owner of said dog finally gains control! Rowan has snarled a couple of times after one of those dogs just won’t leave him alone but he warns first and at that point I’m normally shouting at the owner telling them to control their dog!
I feel our dogs will always get the blame first but at least you now know it wasn’t Kylas fault. How lovely that those people came forward to stand up for you and Kyla.
People don’t realise it’s traumatic for our dogs to be pounced upon and hounded by off lead dogs they don’t like. Rowan is normally shaking after!
Love to Kyla x
Julieh

Post by Julieh »

I’m so sorry this has happened John . The other dog was clearly at fault . I know both Trixie and Billy would react the same if another dog was in their face and challenged them. I understand everyone’s comments about the muzzle and it may help build your confidence if it’s been understandably shaken .
I’m not sure I would personally use a muzzle at this stage yet , if it was getting to be a regular occurrence and I felt I couldn’t control then I would but otherwise I would continue being vigilant as you are .
The posts about how to use muzzles are brilliant and will help if you decide to use them .
Good luck John
Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum »

I feel your pain, John, I get this with Heidi sometimes. I tried using a muzzle, but it made Heidi even more stressed and she was attacked once and she couldn't defend herself. As I keep her under strict control, and incidences are few (most back off the minute Heidi tells them) and I don't feel it's a problem for me to control her, I decided not to use the muzzle. I constantly use avoidance tactics and it's become a way of life with our walks. It's more often the ignorance of owners rather than dogs, so I stick to regular places, low dog density and most owners and dogs know us very well and are polite and helpful regarding Heidis lack of tolerance with their dogs. She now ignores their dogs.
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit and like our Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3303557299925949/
https://www.facebook.com/rescueremediesdogrescue/
John

Post by John »

Many thanks Theresa, Jo Jo and Julie for your comments and advice. It’s very reassuring to share experiences and thought processes with people that ‘understand’.
Went over the park again this morning. All ok. I think I will carry on as I have been. I will carry the muzzle with me and try to avoid situations as far as possible .....like you describe Theresa.
:smiley-chores002.gif:
John

Post by John »

Hi to everyone from John and Kyla. smiley-sad010.gif I thought I would post to while away a bit of time whilst self isolating :smiley-computer012.gif:
There have been no more ‘Park incidents’. She had to visit the vet a fortnight ago. I noticed some discharge from her left eye which got worse over a couple of days.Whilst cleaning around her eye I noticed a little growth inside her top eyelid which was robbing against the eye. She had a little procedure where it was cut out and she had to wear a buster collar for a while. She took in all in her stride....good girl....although there was plenty of door bashing! :doh.gif:
If successful a photo should accompany this. Kyla loves picking up something of mine and marching off with it as a trophy. Normally a shoe. Anyone know why dogs do this?
Kyla is a beautiful girl and I’m lucky to have her.
John

Post by John »

Here it is

Kyla self isolating
Kyla self isolating
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Bless her heart ....the shoe thing is so she has something of yours with her ....she must really love you .... Kiss of love.gif bighug.gif

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”