Dustin Staffie DOB 2013-4 - 31st July 2020

In loving memory of dogs that have passed
Sarahk

Re: Dustin Staffie DOB 2013-4 Reading

Post by Sarahk »

Happy new year Dustin love4.gif
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

Aww Dustin, you are looking well! Looks like you have so much fun, great to see you! :havefun.gif: love4.gif
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form
Staz

Post by Staz »

Hi all,

Gosh! It has been so (too) long since I posted an update on our gorgeous poochy Dustin. I see Tim has popped on now and then to give you snippets of how he is doing. I think I have been kept busy managing his Instagram page 0002.gif] His account name is Dustinpaws if you want to follow him and keep up to date with his adventures.

I cant believe that this October will be 4 years since we met this lovable lump. He brings me joy every single day. love4.gif

He has really loved having us home these last couple of months I have never seen him so chilled out. I will include a few pictures of the amazing and loving pooch himself for you to enjoy.
smile.JPG
IMG_4651.jpg
IMG_4444.JPG
3A1D9059-CF0D-4C77-90A4-2693AA39852D.JPG
0B4CBDE4-9E7D-44A4-9C21-8DE6B097FACD.JPG
We hope that you all are keeping well during this difficult time.
Lots of love,

Stacey, Tim and Dustin :smiley-bounce016.gi:
anne

Post by anne »

I remember Dustin and he looks very well and happy. lovely to get an update. Thank you.
Chrissy M

Post by Chrissy M »

:dog_running-186.gif: I bet Dustin is loving you being at home 👍😄he looks fabulous, I too remember waking him well, lovely boy xx
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Lovely to see a Dustin update ...he has come so far ...thank you for giving him his best life :smiley-bounce016.gi: Kiss of love.gif :smiley-bounce016.gi: thumbs.gif thumbs.gif woo.gif] woo.gif] positivo1.gif
xxlynne

Post by xxlynne »

Amazing, best picture ever with the SciFi Vacuum cleaner as his companion on the stairs.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lynds

Post by Lynds »

Thanks so much for the update.
It’s lovely to see Dusty boy looking so chilled.
I also remember that lovely Velvety, spotty tummy.

Please Give it a stroke from me.
Lots of love to the boy
Lynds
X
TimLees

Post by TimLees »

Hi everyone,

We write with a sad update :(

Since our last post Dustin has developed a large number of masses in a very short period of time. Over the space of 12 weeks or so he now has more than 30 tumours all over his body ranging from the size of pea up to slightly bigger than a 50p piece. He has been to the vet and had a fine needle aspiration. Unfortunately the results from this came back as complex. There were some cancerous cells but also very large numbers of white blood cells too not a clear enough picture for them to be 100% sure of the diagnosis.

The next procedure he would need for 100% confirmation of the diagnosis would be invasive and involve biopsies, general anaesthetic and a stay at the vets. We've had a number of conversations with our excellent vet. He is 95% sure that the lumps are either Mass Cell Tumours or Cutaneous Lymphoma (because of the elevated white blood cell count in the area). Given the speed at which is has spread it is very likely to be aggressive and malignat. As we all know Dustin doesn't do well around other animals so we feel it isn't fair to but him through the trauma of the procedure just so we have the comfort (if that's the right word) of knowing the exact diagnosis. This is particularly the case because the widespread nature of his tumours means chemotherapty or radiotherapy are not an option so really we would be doing this for curiosity rather than to inform his treatment.

The prognosis differs depending on which of the two types of cancer he might have. We are looking at a worse case scenario of a few weeks to a best case scenario of 4 or 5 months. This will be helped, hopefully, because we are moving straight to palliative car to make sure his quality of life is extended as much as possible (rather than waiting for biopsy procedures and results). He started a course of strong steroids for a week today. Hopefully this will lower any inflamation he has and in some cancers it calms the cells down and slows the rate of spreading.

Dustin isn't quite himself at the moment. He's seeksing reassurance more than normal and is a little tired and listless. He does have his appetite and is still happy to initiate play when he feels up to it. He is getting spoiled rotten as you might imagine.

There still a very small chance that what he has is something that is unusual and not cancer. We are coming to terms with the fact that this is unlikely and steeling ourselves to have to have to put Dustin's welfare first at some point in the upcoming weeks or months. We've had years of happiness from our idiosyncratic boy and we owe it to him to make sure that he doesn't suffer.

Sorry to write which such sad news but we thought you would all like to know.
anne

Post by anne »

So sorry to hear this news. You are doing the very best for him and making the decisions which are in his best interests. It is so hard watching our beloved furry family members go through illness and disease. Glad to hear he is being pampered and loved. Sending hugs to all of you. x

Return to “Dog Rainbow Bridge”