Dexter (Tommy) Staffie x DofB 01.06.15 Ealing W5

Rescue Remedies dogs that have found their forever homes
sweetpea

Re: Dexter (Tommy) Staffie x DofB 01.06.15 Ealing W5

Post by sweetpea » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:45 pm

The big pet stores now do a large range of muzzles ...my lurchers have lurcher muzzles. ...just make sure his nose doesnt go right to the end ...and its comfortable around his head ...the shops will let you try them on before you buy xxxx
Big thumbs up for raw feeding bravo1.gif
You are doing an amazing job ....hope you are feeling better about everything Kiss of love.gif

Footymum

Post by Footymum » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:02 pm

We have now had our gorgeous boy for a year and we all love him he is such a cheeky, loving dog. He has almost stopped mouthing, although visitors make him very silly so keeping him calm is key. He has a lovely manner with Bonnie and they are now very happy together, she can be quite unpredictable with her female Terrier quirks, but when she snarls at him when she's asleep on the sofa and he gets too close he just ignores her (like the rest of us do!)
Whoever had him before obviously cared for him and did some training but he does go into panic mode if you hold on to his harness/collar for too long or try and close him into a room on his own, which involves him leaping at you and air snapping/mouthing you so it wasn't all good (this is what happened at the vet). I just don't do either and then he's ok. He loves cars and will literally jump in any vehicle given the opportunity which has even involved the park keepers truck! He loves coming to the pub and will do his drop and roll for anybody that shows him the slightest attention and he does get a lot of admirers as he's so handsome. He has always had very good dog skills (he has to to live with Bonnie!) although after some negative experiences with larger off lead entire male dogs he will now growl a warning to all large male dogs but this is very understandable and manageable. Anyway here's a few pictures from the last year
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0549.JPG
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0546.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0544.JPG
IMG_0543.JPG
IMG_0542.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:26 pm

Lovely update and photos. ..thank you for loving him warts and all ...
Did you try a muzzle for when he goes to the vets xxxx thumbs.gif

Footymum

Post by Footymum » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:32 pm

I haven't yet as the summer has been quite hectic but when everyone is back at school I will do, as even though I think he'll be fine I don't ever want to be in that situation again.

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:05 pm

Perfect Kiss of love.gif

Footymum

Post by Footymum » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:42 pm

So I have bought a basketville ultra muzzle from pets at home and he will put his nose in it if I hold a treat in the end, which I spent a week doing then this week when I tried to progress to doing it up he didn't like it and started his air snapping / mouthing so I backed off. I'm worried he already has an aversion to wearing one. Obviously I'm going to continue trying the softly softly approach but has anyone experienced this sort of resistance and succeeded in getting them to wear one? Any tips?

EmmaD

Post by EmmaD » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:05 pm

Hi footymum, I'll start by saying I'm not an expert, but it's great you're listening to him, maybe go back a step or two to make it easy for him to enjoy putting his nose in the muzzle again and give him more time. You may have seen this Blue Cross video but for me it breaks it down into micro steps that you can try. I think the key is going at Dexter's pace (which might be much slower than you anticipate or hope) and breaking it down into baby steps so you can find the right pace for him. If he looks uncomfortable, go back a step or two to where he is happy, build confidence and try a lesser step forward to help him succed, all the while with him going to the muzzle rather than you placing it on him. The video also shows really well how you can make it into a game. He'll get there :0) good luck to you both!

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Footymum

Post by Footymum » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:42 am

Thanks that's really helpful, I always forget that you can find so much on YouTube.

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”