Fred Staffie Dofb 2009 Brixton

Rescue Remedies dogs that have found their forever homes
JDLocks

Re: Fred Staffie Dofb 2009 Brixton

Post by JDLocks » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:46 pm

Hi RR team and volunteers,
Freddie is settling in really well in the home, but he's proving to be quite reactive with other dogs. We're doing what we can and he shows signs of improvement, today on the train a dog walked by three times with no signs of reacting from Fred, but the fourth time he bit it on it rump as it walked past, totally unprovoked and faster than I could do anything to prevent. I'm really worried and would appreciate some advice. We may end up having to muzzle train him, but would prefer not to.

We've been using "Find it" (with treats) and giving him fuss when he sees another dog, to help him associate other dogs with good things. We have been able to walk him with a couple of other dog friends (one at a time) and he does well with them (no nose to nose introductions). Any advice would be much appreciated.

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:30 pm

All of my lurchers are muzzled trained whilst offlead and none of them mind so dont worry if you do muzzle train him ....have you tried using a gentle leader /halti...it gives you control over his head to prevent him getting too close to another dog ....you could also buy a lead that says please give me space to make other dog owners know he may not like his space invaded thumbs.gif
You are doing a fab job considering you have only had him 4 weeks he looks very happy love4.gif

Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:38 am

Maybe being in an enclosed space, such as a train was just too much for him? It's still early days and you are getting to know your dog. Sometimes if you know what triggers behaviour (such as lack of space) you can just avoid being in that situation and manage your dogs behaviour, which may be perfectly OK in other situations. I speak from experience of having to manage my dog as I can't change her and I know what I need to do to keep her safe. Maybe Freddie was just saying " give me space" in his own way?
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit our fb page https://www.facebook.com/groups/676797962392764/

JDLocks

Post by JDLocks » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:48 am

Yeah we thought it might be the confined space. Have now purchased a muzzle to begin training. He deffinitely has issues around other dogs, as he attempted to pick a fight with a German shepard that was pretty far away on his walk yesterday.
I think that for his and others safety, muzzle training will be a good first step, then we can gradually introduce him to other dogs in different situations without worrying someone might get hurt.
We've been avoiding other dogs as much as possible sine we got him. Maybe he will settle naturally in time but for now we will keep an eye on triggers and do our very best to help him be comfortable and happy

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:16 am

You are doing all the right things....given time he maybe alot more tolerant. ...but muzzles are excellent way to keep your dog safe and just as important to give you peace of mind woo.gif] thumbs.gif

JDLocks

Post by JDLocks » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:06 pm

Hey my lovelies.
The more Freddie shows us of his personality the more we suspect he might have been abused in his past. My dad took him for an early morning walk, and he reported Freddie was very nervous and on edge with him. As you all would know Freddie is full of love to nearly everyone he meets and has never shown fear or reluctance around anyone before.
I usually say that I don't trust anyone a dog doesn't like, but my dad is a big softy with a big heart. He wouldn't hurt a fly. With that, and Freddies over the top desire to please with affectionate behaviour to humans, we're building a picture of a dog who has learned to proactively placate humans out of necessity.
Lucky for him no one will ever lay a hand on him in anything but love till the day he crosses the rainbow bridge. He deffinitely seems to know he's safe with me and Lou, so we can only hope he'll eventually realise that extends to his whole family x

Elliesmum

Post by Elliesmum » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:11 am

The first time I walked Fred, I reported that I thought he was nervous. He did needs lots of reassurance and leant in for cuddles and security. I'm sure with careful introductions and the continued love and care you are giving him, he will realise he is fine. In 6 months, you will see a different dog and in a year, there will still be changes. We never know what's happened to our dogs, we can only ensure their futures and Freddie has a great one xx
Teresa, passionate about our beloved dogs. Visit our fb page https://www.facebook.com/groups/676797962392764/