Benji Patterdale DofB 19.08.18 Wellington Somerset

Dogs that have found their forever home
xxlynne

Benji Patterdale DofB 19.08.18 Wellington Somerset

Post by xxlynne »

Current Status: Homed
benji3DSCF6908a.jpg
Benji's Story: Benji apparently grew up with another dog; cat and children but was overwhelmed as a young dog: passed on around 15 months old. Homed to a couple with a quiet lifestyle who were concerned by his Pattie intensity and taken to be put to sleep. The vet recognised his breed traits and saved him and a vet nurse fostered him for 5 weeks whilst waiting for a place with us. Rescue Remedies (Patterdaleterrierrescue) offered a Rescue place saving his life. Benji is neutered, chipped, and fully vaccinated. Benji was in boarding kennels near Gatwick and enjoyed foster time as an only pet whilst awaiting his new family.

"Lovely friendly dog to us in the home. Wants to play a lot and will bring his toys to us to play with him. Likes to play fetch in the garden. Hasn't yet fully mastered giving the ball back every time. Has no recall and so cannot be allowed out of the house except on a lead. When we first brought him home he would jump on everything, but quickly learnt that he was only allowed on the sofa. He fixates on other dogs when on a walk and tries to get to anyone making deliveries to the house.He "bites" us when he is prevented from getting to the delivery person or "bites" another dog when they try to leave or if he doesn't seem to like them. He wears a muzzle when out on a walk. He will allow it to be put on without a fuss, but does try to take it off when walking. " Owner for 2 months

"Benji is very good with sit and wait and OK. He really wants to please and is very bright. He is getting better with 'off'. Has no clue about 'down' and doesn't particularly seem to know either 'drop' or 'leave'. He loves to play ball & will bring it back to you & sometimes he drops it but not on command. He is learning that he doesn't get what he wants unless he drops it though. He gives paw on command and attention seeks by 'dancing'. He is muzzle trained. When we walk passed other dogs on a walk he can sometimes be good but usually not. Has made dog friends. " Fosterer for 5 weeks

If you are interested in rehoming one of our dogs, please complete our ONLINE HOMING QUESTIONNAIRE. It is always the first step in our rehoming process. Upon application, you must be ready to take in your new dog within seven days. For more detailed information, please see our Homing Process.

Please support our work and help our long stay dogs: Our minimum adoption donation is £175. This supports our continuing rescue work and is non-refundable. We exist solely due to the goodwill and donations of our supporters and volunteers. Our dogs need supportive families who will offer them patience, time and tolerance whilst they settle in their new homes. Our Rescue offers all our dogs back-up for life.

Please note: Dog laws have changed, with zero public tolerance and prejudice against bull breeds and terriers. Our Rescue asks new owners to keep their dog on a lead in public spaces and manage and support its encounters with new dogs and people, so as not to place the dog's life at risk. Destruction and Control Orders are commonplace nowadays.
BenjiPatt3.jpeg
BenjiPatt7.jpg
BenjiPatt9.jpg
Benji's progress through our Rescue is below.
We work with our dogs, who often reveal a different picture and positive skills as they build trust.
Original Referral information: Benji was saved from being put to sleep The vet judged him to be a 'wired terrier' that needed a terrier family. The vet nurse fostered him until we could take.

Benji came into our Rescue 18th February 2020
Manuela_and_Andy

Re: Benji Patterdale DofB 19.08.18 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Manuela_and_Andy »

We walked Benji today, and what a lovely walk he is.

He was very shy and apprehensive in his kennel at first, bless him it all is a bit new to him. I sat down with him and let him come to me, it didn't take long for him to jump into my lap and ask for scratches. Harness on and off we went for a long walk. He's very clever and bright, typical terrier loves being busy and sniffing everything. We met a few dogs and he was very good, didn't mind being guided into different pathways and gaps to wait for other dogs to pass - didn't bark or pull towards them, happy to keep a good distance.
IMG-20200222-WA0036.jpg
IMG-20200222-WA0043.jpg
Back in the kennel sat down with him and he took treats out of my hand gently. He brought me a tennis ball to play with and loved playing fetch a bit. He left the toy and never tried to grab it when I picked it up. He didn't kennel guard and loved having scratches and cuddles.

I only met him today but based on first impressions I think he's a real superstar dog in the making
Pegmilly

Post by Pegmilly »

Benji is a little frightened at the moment but a few gentle, kind words, not rushing him, letting him come to me, and we were friends. He walked really well, no reaction to other dogs. He went up to other walkers and took treats nicely, very brave of him. I went to see him again before I left and gave him some more treats - much happier to see me this time xx
C7E8BFEB-DDA7-4A33-B3DC-71A2984514A2.jpeg
AndrewB

Post by AndrewB »

Lovely little boy!
heleny

Post by heleny »

I can't wait to meet and walk this dear little dog - probably next week now. So lovely to see you settling in Benji. Heart fill with love.gif]
jan&nick

Post by jan&nick »

what a difference a week makes last week so nervous cowering at the back of his kennel and couldnt tempt him over this week he came to meet us climbing up for a treat and strokes a completely different dog and so pleased to be going out (it obv hasnt taken too long for him to work out that the walkers are all v friendly) during his walk we went thru the waterlogged woods where once he had summoned up the courage to put one paw in the water he loved it splish splashing thru the pools of water - overall a sweet pattie who we look forward to walking again
IMG_4704.JPG
IMG_4710.JPG
IMG_4713.JPG
heleny

Post by heleny »

Just look at Benji's little face in those photos - he is quite adorable! The rain was coming down in sheets - in fact, I think it fair to say I have never got so drenched. This did not deter Benji who came for a long walk with me despite the weather and loved sniffing around in the undergrowth near the pavements. He is a great little dog - really, really appealing. :crossfingers.gif: :crossfingers.gif: :crossfingers.gif:
BettylovesJacks

Post by BettylovesJacks »

I walked Benji for the first time today, he's a real forager and likes to check out all the nooks and crannies and holes in trees on our route. He walks nicely and is a real pleasure to be with. We had two cuddles in the cosy shed and he enjoyed some treats and gave me a thorough face wash before heading back.
Sarahk

Post by Sarahk »

I didn’t get a chance to put these up from last Friday - Benji and I made friends, he’s an absolute poppet love4.gif
BF489AE6-F431-4D6C-AE09-D9B3FFF640D9.jpeg
4E2A7D0D-8380-45E3-897E-68CF3CA693C0.jpeg

We called in to the poets hut and Benji discovered where my treats were !!!
7F885FDF-34BE-4EDA-B172-8337BB3BB7F4.jpeg
7A06DFAC-B2AF-44F5-8D15-61052D20DA41.jpeg
Well done Benji, lovely to see your confidence growing all the time xxx
We love walking the Kennels Dogs - would you like to join us?
Click here for our Dog Walking Questionnaire
jan&nick

Post by jan&nick »

took the slightly wounded looking benji out today but his sore nose didnt seem to bother him and he was double happy to be going out - he loves to climb up you to see what you might have in your hands or pockets and is beside himself with pleasure if that turns out to be sausage pieces he is a quite calm and sweet pattie who loves cuddles and nice words of confidence boosting encouragement and he is ready to fit into his terrier loving family
IMG_4818.JPG
IMG_4821.JPG

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”