Edward (Eddie) JRT DofB 01.06.13 Somerset

Dogs that have found their forever home
Mon&Chris

Re: Eddie JRT DofB 01.06.13 Gatwick Kenns

Post by Mon&Chris »

Eddie was so ready for his walk when I went to his kennel this morning and was literally hurrying me. We went for a short walk, then he decided he wanted some cuddles in the grass and he got loads. It was great to see him so relaxed. We then went for a couple more short walks and more cuddles.
20210331_163715s.jpg
20210331_132152s.jpg
heleny

Post by heleny »

What lovely photos - thank you. love4.gif Honestly, does there a exist a more even tempered, affectionate little dog? Mind you, he does need to get to know you - like most dogs - before he showers his affection and lovely greetings on you. love4.gif Today was a special day for Eddie as we walked with Becca and big Henry. Henry was a bit reluctant to walk off site at first but Eddie showed him how to be brave and how to have a great time in the woods. Henry had a very enjoyable splash in the water but Eddie didn't indulge - he is not too keen on water and mud - a very refined little dog he is! love4.gif Once back in his pen he had his usual quota of cheese and chicken. Such a great little dog - he will be 9 in 2 months' time - hopefully that special sofa is waiting for him just around the corner. love4.gif
jan&nick

Post by jan&nick »

IMG_3527.JPG
eddie out with david
LyndaM

Post by LyndaM »

Great photo showing how adorable Eddie is.
Mon&Chris

Post by Mon&Chris »

Eddie was in a great mood today. It was a crisp morning out but the sky was clear and he was ready for action. It’s not difficult to imagine him saying ‘chocks away’ with some Biggles goggles on as he eagerly charges out of the kennel for an adventure. He’s such a noble little chap and a fabulous character. Mon got him out and I was waiting at the end of the kennels for him where he was keen to say hi for a quick cuddle and off we went into the woods. He’s not keen on the mud and wet, but with the good weather, he took us on a really long walk today and was eager to run and explore. He knows his routes and he led us more than us leading him. After a while he wound down down for a last quick cuddle at the end and a bit of cheese before we said our farewells. He’s a really charming dog.
:smiley-chores002.gif: :smiley-chores002.gif:
anne

Post by anne »

Eddie was enjoying cuddles in the sunshine with Helen this morning. He really is a cheerful, affectionate and rather handsome little dude. love4.gif
eddie1DSCF2050a.jpg
eddie2DSCF2053.jpg
eddie3DSCF2054.jpg
eddie4DSCF2055.jpg
heleny

Post by heleny »

Wow - thank you for the photos Anne - he really is a handsome, lovely, beautiful little dog. He also has the most amazing nature - friendly, affectionate, cheerful. Like all little dogs he does need to get to know people before he showers his love and affection on them. In fact, he can be a bit barky if you don't get to know him first. He has been in kennel care for some time now and really would appreciate a comfy home for his twilight years - he will be 9 on 1st June this year.

Today Eddie and I walked with Laila (walked by Linda) and Marina (walked by Anne) and I did indeed feel very proud of Eddie as he showed energetic (but lovely) Laila how to behave on a walk and squirrel obsessed (but very lovely and usually very calm) Marina how to behave when out in company.

He trotted along with his head and tail held high, always by my side and keeping me in his sights. At one point he had a roll in the grass.

Great little dog. I can't praise him enough.
EmmaNicole

Post by EmmaNicole »

love4.gif Oh Eddie munster what a handsome little dude you are love4.gif

Eddie is my little dog guilty pleasure and I love spending time with this happy, cuddly little boy. He has jut the most lovable character and is so trusting and chilled once he knows you. I so hope his forever sofa is found soon :crossfingers.gif: Kiss of love.gif
heleny

Post by heleny »

49BAE62E-8A81-4D7F-89FE-3EBB64CB94F8.jpeg
While the cats away......!

Eddie came to stay for a short foster break. We left the kennels on Tuesday afternoon and as usual he was fairly reluctant to get in the car. I popped him in and he soon settled.

On our arrival Alan was watching television and Eddie trotted in to greet him and immediately jumped on his lap. However, he had met him only once before when he had come to spend the day with us and so interaction between Eddie and Alan was going to be slow and carefully monitored.
AC905912-6841-49B7-AB02-6233F48CB263.jpeg
Initially if Alan approached us Eddie would jump up, and advance towards him barking. We know that Eddie was originally owned by a lady on her own who had sadly died and so he was not used to having more than one person in his household for his first six years. In our household his anxiety was caused by the element of surprise and uncertainty generated by a virtually unknown person. This I am fairly sure we would manage.

Eddie's previous background as seen on this forum - He came into RR on 19th December 2019 and was homed soon after by Cathy and David, very experienced terrier owners. Within a few days Eddie's nerves had got the better of him and he bit David. With this in mind we decided to go very slowly - Alan would not at first be hands on with Eddie. In fact, there would be no physical contact until we felt Eddie knew and trusted him.

Fortunately this happened faster than we thought and Eddie was soon running to greet him if he heard him moving about the house. Alan continued to have no contact, especially outstretched hands, but would announce his presence with a quiet word or greeting. This made sense as Eddie is a small, older dog and is not used to the presence of large adults who seem to materialize out of nowhere. Soon Alan started to give him high quality treats (Eddie loves cheese!) and by day 4 was stroking Eddie. During this time also Eddie was getting comfortable in the relatively unknown environment of our house this included getting used to everyday sounds such as a clock chiming, a kettle boiling which initially had made Eddie anxious.
99985D59-8EB3-44E6-B681-F34FC918711C.jpeg
We settled into the routine of a few quiet days - Eddie, like all older beings, loves routine and calmness. He really likes company and was my shadow for those few days, following me around usually with a toy in his mouth, Eddie is gentle with toys - they play the role of a comfort blanket. He is an older boy and his behaviour reflects this.
38D0009A-6F9B-488D-9988-16016992FED3.jpeg

Our days were punctuated by shortish walks. Eddie loves the sniffs and interest which walks bring but does not need to go out for too long. He is the easiest little dog in the world to walk and I walk him on a loose lead. He trots along either just by me or just in front and glances at me constantly - for reassurance? more likely hoping for treats!? He looks amazing with his head and tail held high. I always feel very proud of him. He generally speaking ignores other dogs we meet but if he gets agitated he is easily distracted. One of our walks on Thursday was past the duck pond. Eddie, on a short lead, showed no interest in the tiny ducklings. We also went to pay a visit to my 93 year old neighbour and stood on her door step chatting while she admired Eddie and his good behaviour.

Friday was bath day and I am not sure who got the wetter! Eddie wasn't too keen and I had to hold him while I tried to shower him. I don't think I got him very clean but at least he had fun charging round the house trying to dry himself off afterwards.
He has plenty of energy for doing this and for playing with squeaky toys - there's loads of life left in this little dog.

Friday morning we had unexpected visitors - my daughter and a friend came to say a quick hello. Eddie is a good little guard dog; after barking initially he trotted behind a closed door so I could open the front door. He so enjoyed the company and attention of these visitors and loved playing with his toys with them. He showed himself to be a comfortable, confident little terrier - under my watchful eye of course!
1AAA6E3E-805D-4368-B2DD-D1D28CB5B92C.jpeg

Saturday and Sunday were quiet days full of our usual routines. It has been rewarding to see him gain confidence around the house and with Alan. This is a journey he would continue in his own house and he would make the such a brilliant addition to that house. Unfortunately I had to take him back. The cats were returning.

A few, maybe very obvious, pointers for the lucky, fortunate, blessed person/s who takes Eddie home.

Please take your time to get to know Eddie especially if you have not met him before. He is a dear little soul who likes to be cautious and to take things slowly.

If he is homed to a one person household he will devote himself to you and become bonded fairly quickly after the initial slow steps. He will shadow you and indeed gaze at you! His devotion will be huge. In his own environment he could be left for periods of time but he does love your company.
B93FF6AA-4D17-4C71-9D74-22054EDB6C5C.jpeg
3D7342D1-84B9-4931-9EE1-44706610925B.jpeg
46D66B9B-4FF6-4D2E-AF50-EEE3872FC1E0.jpeg
If there are two people in the household Eddie could well bond more with one than the other at first. Please take it slowly with the second person. Initiate gentle contact only when he is ready and he will tell you when that is. He likes to be familiar with his environment and this can take a bit of time. He has excellent hearing for an older boy - talk to him loads, get him used to the sound of your voices and the house. Hands off until he is comfortable - once settled he will become a happy 'family' dog
159E3919-8765-4E58-8B9B-DD89F4FF2DB7.jpeg
DDD4FE1A-9BCD-4A9F-AFBC-CCC0F0859463.jpeg
03318720-D7FD-444B-8A89-CB9D679B5250.jpeg
E7FD1053-CA9F-462C-AA6B-A1C05EF8FF29.jpeg
In lots of ways he is an ideal little dog. He is completely clean in the house - no mean feat after 17 months in kennel care. He is not greedy around food and does not pester you for anything when you are eating. He does like tiny bits of cheese to sustain him when walking!!!! I have got him into this bad habit - you will be able to get him out of it!

As obvious as it may seem to us that Eddie would be more comfortable in our house please bear in mind that this is a huge change for Eddie. Getting used to a different environment and different people can sometimes take time. Let him do it at his own pace. Maybe keep visitors at bay for a little while.
2FA30E65-2E8C-4FC4-BC66-E657EFFDA041.jpeg
If anxious Eddie may make mistakes - bear in mind that a mistake could be a one off and won't be a pattern of bad behaviour. He is a dear little dog who just wants to please and to have his own human/s in his life. Give him that chance to settle. He will reward you with complete devotion.
8C3285EB-4CD9-48D5-AEC3-44088D50AAAF.jpeg
4E1ECDC2-6C9F-4B75-A55B-A17D6462A9D8.jpeg
0D070642-1D49-4E04-B6E1-89B29A13FA3E.jpeg
Nucasol

Post by Nucasol »

Helen - thanks so much to you and Alan for giving Eddie a foster mini-break and sharing these absolutely brilliant insights of a fantastic little JRT. I'm sure this will be brilliant background info for prospective fur-parents and brings out the character and sensitive nature of Eddie perfectly. I'm sure those of us who have walked Eddie regularly had an inclination that he'd be like this in a home environment but actually seeing him doing it is another thing and really reassuring! He looks so settled and like he's had a great time, some of the photos do great justice to his calm and stoic nature. Just a wonderful dog and wholly deserving of finding his perfect forever home.

Return to “Dogs Rehomed”