Bentley Patterdale DOB ?2013 Chippenham, Wilts

Rescue Remedies dogs that have found their forever homes
SarahW

Re: Bentley Patterdale DOB ?2013 Guildford Kenns

Post by SarahW » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:04 pm

I really enjoyed reading the update on Bentley's weekend foster. So much information for a potential forever home to know. Thank you Leahonthemove, looking at the videos he obviously had a wonderful relaxing time.

0093.gif love4.gif
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form

Chapmania

Post by Chapmania » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:32 pm

:nicethread.gif: 0093.gif :thanks.gif: for having Bentley to stay for the weekend. It was lovely for him to have a break away from the kennels. Bentley has proved what a good boy he can be within a home. This boy has so much to offer to an experienced owner xx

leahonthemove

Post by leahonthemove » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:56 pm

**Weekend Foster Part 2** :smiley-chores002.gif:

Walking/Outdoors: Since last weekend I see improvement with Bentley when outdoors walking. We went on a walk with 2 ex RR furbabies Pippa and Fifi with owners Sarah and Jess. Initially there was excitement with them however as the walk went on, they were not too bothered with being in each other company however I didn't let Bentley too close as he gets excited and tries to nip through his excitement. After our hour walk, we went and sat in the beer garden and he was good as gold, there were a couple of occasions where there was excitement barking but this was initiated by another dog starting 0002.gif] We lasted about 40min in the beer garden before Bentley was getting restless.
On other walks, we came across dogs and in particular another terrier and a staffie, he didn't seem to bothered but yet again, I didn't let him to in touching distance, he did such a great job out and about during the weekend. He is also improving on walking beside me, when asked, he is such a switched on little guy. He is not a massive puller on a short lead but he does have a nice steady little pace so being on a short lead can result in some pulling, so I find an extension lead makes a walk better as he can go at his own pace. Id say he is a little trotter and not a runner on walks.
:goodjob.gif:

Indoors: Again, Bentley is quiet energetic in doors, mainly its going from window to window and out the back door to see what's going on outside. He really does enjoy looking out the window and I believe that this is something that is a MUST for him in his future home. He does have the occasional sleep during the day and loves to lay in the sun. He does settle down and I have noted that this normally around after dinner time (17:30 - 18:00) and starts to relax about 19:00. He has been more playful, especially today which was day 4 with me and more affectionate.

House Guests: No problem with guests coming over, he is very welcoming and trots off when he has said his hello Hi ya!.gif

Sleeping and Waking: He started to settle better at night and pants less, as mentioned before he does get hot indoors but this could be due to his coat being in full winter mode. When Bentley is awake he likes to have breakfast pretty much as soon as possible but is also happy to come back to bed or sit on the window sill to chill and view the world.

Food: Loves his food, He is not a big eater and will leave food if he is not ready to finish it off. Being spoilt over the weekends of roast chicken and mix veg mixed with some Posh Dog food, he doesn't fancy the "cheap" stuff 0002.gif] I also did some videos on dinner times. There is no food guarding and he happy sits for his dinner without being asked......

Recall/Response: Outdoors Bentley is getting better in response to his name (not so much when fixated in terrier hunt mode) but generally he will accept instruction of the likes of "this way" for directions but he is currently quite head strong with what he wants to do on a walk in regard to attention.

Bathing/Brushing: He likes a bath and a brush. I found over the weekend just brushing him relaxed him and was also a bonding human time love4.gif

Harnessing / Muzzling: Absolutely no issues, he even started helping me with the harness by poking his head through it thumbs.gif

Exit Management: He is getting better but this need consistent work with making him stand back from the door and waiting but doors or windows (that lead to external access of the home) must not be left open.

Car: He is great in the car, has an initial mad 5min with rolling around on the seat but then settles and likes to look out the window.

Left Alone: I did film him when I popped out of the house for 10min. He did have a little cry and a howl but he is the quietest little boy, no barking just a little cry. I did note that he got up onto the kitchen surface, so this MUST be a consideration in safety for his future home. I have been happy for him to get up on the window sills but I was concerns about the kitchen surface, so a high baby gate or alike would be suitable as he has a decent jump on him.

I have nothing but love and pride for this little champ. Considering his history, I can see why he does some things that he does but he has been so trusting in me and being willing to learn and listen (most of the time 0002.gif] )

A few key points so far since having Bentley on weekends:

- Is switched on with learning
- Can be affectionate on his terms but is getting more frequent with affection.
- People friendly
- Good with food, no guarding.
- Needs good walks to help dull down his indoor behaviour
- He can jump so precautions and restrictions should be in mind in the home for his safety (no access surfaces where he can get out or injure himself).
- More so reacts to movement and noise (this was evident in the beer garden where he was ok when all the dogs were laying down and not barking and seeing cats outside he will react to).
- Medium effort required with walking around other dogs and a MUST for his muzzle. Otherwise a dream to walk, he's very inquisitive (quite prey driven).
- Mostly busy indoors with wanting to see what's going on outside but he does settle down (he is NOT a dog that lays on the couch all day)
- Needs improvement on door/exit management but he is really improving since last weekend.
- Not overly playful but getting better with time (I particularly love the ball and slapping the couch comp we had going on today - see video 0002.gif] )

An all round little star of a terrier. If you put in the work and effort, you'll have a friend for life! He is such a sweet sweet boy.
I hope to see you next weekend B-Boi. Thanks again for the company, you little legend!!!
Heart fill with love.gif] Heart fill with love.gif] Heart fill with love.gif]

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Attachments
20190222_200712.jpg
20190224_082415.jpg
Screenshot_20190225-084535_Video Player.jpg

SarahW

Post by SarahW » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:44 pm

I am so enjoying your Bentley updates! :thanks.gif:

He really is a little dude. I walked him when he first came into Godstone kennels and always check to see how he is doing. The videos really show what a great character he has. I hope this little treasure gets spotted by his forever home soon. :crossfingers.gif:
Would you like to walk our lovely dogs too?
Dog walking volunteer form

leahonthemove

Post by leahonthemove » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:50 pm

:thanks.gif:
Thank you Sarah, he's been an absolute joy to Foster!
I really do have a soft spot for this little man that's full of life with a legendary terrier attitude ❤️ little black bear

leahonthemove

Post by leahonthemove » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:26 pm

Bentley Pic 1.jpg
**Weekend Foster Part 3** :smiley-chores002.gif:

Walking/Outdoors: We had walked the local street over the weekend and Bentley appears to be at ease with walking by the road and we passed a few dogs during our walks. It seems that he is better when in the presence of dogs when just walking by, when we stop when meeting friends out with their dogs he seemed to do his usual excitement behaviour. This particular weekend, he did try to pull toward a dog and it was noted that he was showing his teeth but I am not sure if this is true aggression or just excitement, anxiety and fear all rolled into one. Bentley is a dog that due to this outdoors behaviour, does really need to wear his muzzle (of which is he very at ease to wear).

Indoors: This weekend break, Bentley seems more chilled out. He was quicker to relax and lay and chill. A few times he just laid on the floor or on the couch. It was his first time at barking at the knock of the front door, but was only a couple of barks. He still very much loves to be able to view out the window - I would say that this would distress him if he didn't have an option of being able to see outside, as previously said I believe this is due to his past.

Affection / Play: Bentley was a lot more affectionate this weekend, he loves a kiss and we had a few times of mad minutes playing ball and rumbles 0002.gif]

House Guests: No problem with guests coming over, he is very welcoming and trots off when he has said his hello

Sleeping and Waking: He started to settle better at night and pants less, as mentioned before he does get hot indoors but this could be due to his coat being in full winter mode. When Bentley is awake he likes to have breakfast pretty much as soon as possible but is also happy to come back to bed or sit on the window sill to chill and view the world.

Food: Loves his food, He is not a big eater and will leave food if he is not ready to finish it off.

Recall/Response: Bentley is getting better indoors / back garden with acting on being called.

Bathing/Brushing: He likes a bath and a brush. I found over the weekend just brushing him relaxed him and was also a bonding human time love4.gif

Harnessing / Muzzling: Absolutely no issues, he even started helping me with the harness by poking his head through it thumbs.gif

Exit Management: He is getting better but this need consistent work with making him stand back from the door and waiting but doors or windows (that lead to external access of the home) must not be left open.

Left Alone: Time spent with being left alone, this is something that needs work on and at this stage I don't believe its in his best interest to being left alone for any length of time (until he is confident that you will return). To clarify on this, it is difficult to offer a true behaviour or coping capacity over a weekend foster and my reviews are done based on the short time I have Bentley. I believe that initially (upon adoption) he shouldn't be left for long periods of time however being the trusting loving dog he is, I think he could be confident over time with a build up of being left alone.

The more I spend with this little dude, the more he is showing his personality and he is just so lovable.....He just needs the perfect home and owners to give him the time, effort and love he deserves, he needs patience and direction/training with his behaviour outdoors and also with his indoor excitement when seeing cats / dogs outside. He doesn't really bark in the house.

Heart fill with love.gif] Heart fill with love.gif] Heart fill with love.gif] Love ya B-Boi

A few key points so far since having Bentley on this weekend (Addition / Changes from last foster break):

- More affectionate this weekend
- Was more chilled out this break, was quicker to relax and lay.

[youtube][/youtube]
Attachments
Bentley Pic 5.jpg
Bentley Pic 3.jpg
20190304_080906.jpg
Last edited by leahonthemove on Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

heleny

Post by heleny » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:31 pm

Absolutely amazing to see and read all this. Thank you so much. 0093.gif :nicethread.gif: :thanks.gif: :crossfingers.gif: :crossfingers.gif: :crossfingers.gif:

leahonthemove

Post by leahonthemove » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:40 pm

Foster Break #4

Just a quick update on Bentley. I have him for a longer break this time (as I have some time off work) 11 days in total. I don't plan to do reviews during this time (but will add pics and videos) as I want to focus on "just being" in a some what normal routine with him to see how he adapts to normality (albeit my normality) . It's a more organic approach from my perspective as I can focus being with him without the constant daily observations. I'll do a review at the end of his 11 days. I see improvement since last weekend in all areas, some more so than others but all positive steps forward non the less. Bentley is really coming on leaps and bounds since his first foster with me a month ago... So proud of you B-Boi thumbs.gif

leahonthemove

Post by leahonthemove » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:52 am

Some pics of Bentley over the weekend angel13.gif]
He really is starting to come out of his shell and also relax more in the home....as you can see His Lordship chilling 0002.gif]

Attachments
20190311_124101.jpg
20190310_190419.jpg
20190310_162503.jpg
20190310_160427.jpg
20190308_170837.jpg
His most favourite place in the home
Last edited by leahonthemove on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

leahonthemove

Post by leahonthemove » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:08 am

A short clip of this mornings exit management....Time, patience and consistency pays off. He is improving each week. Most of the time I sound like a mad woman always with the "ah" and "wait" but he recognises these instructions and has a positive acknowledgement (most of the time 0002.gif] ) thumbs.gif